Dynadot

Anyone know what happened?

NameSilo
Watch

Greenn

Impact
Hi,

I’m a complete domain novice but long story short discovered a domain I’d like was going to expire. Not knowing anything better, I’ve just been counting down the days and watching Whois. So today it finally happened but instead of being up for grabs again, it is now suddenly newly registered with SnapNames. A load of googling later, I’m still trying to understand what this means. Has SnapNames bagged this domain because someone has back ordered through them and therefore already won it? Or have they bagged it so they can now sell it to openly? Is it even possible to know and what do I do now? Give up? Or keep checking SnapNames in case they put it up for sale?

Thanks - appreciate your time.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It sounds like at least one person backordered the domain through Snapnames and/or Namejet (they work together). If there were multiple backorders it is probably now in an auction for a few days, and the winner of that auction will get it. If it is a domain investor, they will likely list it for sale soon. Watch the whois information to update, then visit the URL and search Sedo, Afternic, and Dan to see if it gets listed for sale there.

Good luck!

•••
Upvote 0
Almost all domains are being sold through auctions or immidiatelly registered by certain individuals, the moment they expire. So no, you just cant wait for it to expire. Companies have tools that do this, in a second. And its gone...

•••
Upvote 0
Thanks for you replies. Now I know! 🙈

•••
Upvote 0
The Whois information has changed to Dan.com. Am I right in suspecting someone has therefore bought the domain for sale rather than use and will probably now put a crazy price tag to it?

•••
Upvote 0
The Whois information has changed to Dan.com. Am I right in suspecting someone has therefore bought the domain for sale rather than use

That's very likely.

and will probably now put a crazy price tag to it?

That depends. If they're experienced, they will probably put a relistic price tag, after all the aim is to sell the domain.

•••
Upvote 0
The Whois information has changed to Dan.com. Am I right in suspecting someone has therefore bought the domain for sale rather than use and will probably now put a crazy price tag to it?
If it ended up at snap it could've gone to auction so we don't know what the buyer ended up paying.

At dan in most cases it means the buyer wants to sell it. Check afternic and sedo as well to see if the name is listed there.

Don't feel too bad. Most people don't understand how this whole process works. They do what you did and then after all the waiting they don't get the name.

Assume that even if you would've ordered it at snapnames, you would've ended up in an auction and you don't know how much it would go for.

Hopefully you get the name you need for your business.

•••
Upvote 0
If you thought it worthwhile to pursue the domain through its Drop-cycle, Then you can be pretty sure that others would have identified it just from the 'pending drop lists' .. And yes a change of servers to that of Dans is a clear sign that the domain is now in the hands of an experienced domainer. Just enter the domain as a url to ultimately find out what the selling price is. I doubt you'll be happy. The days of pursuing decent domains in the chance of a later hand-reg are long gone.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Thanks so much everyone. It’s just gone up for sale at Dan.com for €4500!! 🤣 I don’t like it that much! If that’s what they’re hoping for it seems making an offer of under £100 isn’t even worth it. How naive I was!
If it went to auction the buyer might've paid a lot of money, we don't know. Check namebio to see if there is a report on the name

•••
Upvote 0
Thanks so much everyone. It’s just gone up for sale at Dan.com for €4500!! 🤣 I don’t like it that much! If that’s what they’re hoping for it seems making an offer of under £100 isn’t even worth it. How naive I was!

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back