IT.COM

Anyone here selling .com.au / .net.au / .au ??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

I've always stuck with .com's. I felt the market for .com.au was too small, however, with the recent advent of .au direct I decided I couldn't resist and have added a few hundred to my portfolio. I immediately thought I'd check out the Aussie domaining scene, and was a bit disappointed with the result. DN//Trade is absolutely dead, and one quickly discovers that the whole industry in Australia is owned by a single company. Since they're about the only one who posts on the forum it's a bit hard to get an unbiased view on anything as they just recommend one of their other businesses.

From what I can see, there aren't many people who employ landers for their au domains (I guess due to the interpretation of auDA rules around monetization)?? There are a couple of exceptions I've seen, but the huge majority seem to park them with Above/ParkingCrew and/or just list on Net///Fleet. Any Aussies care to comment on the best way to sell in Oz? And is the revenue from parking worthwhile? I know most people wouldn't go that way for .com's but the market seems to be a bit different in Aust?...

Tagging a couple who I know have been on this forum for ages, hope you don't mind. @Corey @gilescoley

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Am from AU and sold a few . com . au domains

•••
•••
•••
I have tried before and the market was just too small. I did learn from it though and have also picked up a couple hundred .au domains to have another go.

My strategy was:
  • Identify .net.au domains for SLDs registered in 120+ extensions
  • Review .com.au owner and determine likelihood of them competing for the .au
  • Register .net.au where I think the .com.au was less likely to proceed (basically checking if they were a domainer or not)
I registered about 400 .net.au before the eligibility date and managed to get about 50% of the .au domains without contest.

In terms of sales I just park at Bodis and have a contact owner banner prominently at the top. Then just adding to the usual places like Sedo and Afternic.

I'm planning to set up a storefront to redirect users from Bodis to a for sale landing page. Unfortunately most of the existing services don't allow you to checkout in AUD which means a custom solution might be necessary.

PS. I'm setting up a Discord channel for .AU owners but have been reluctant to promote it on DNtrade due to the direct competition. Have added to my signature below.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Ive sold a few .com.au names over the years but its hard work, the maret is pretty weak. I've actually sold more .com names to the .com.au owners by sending them an email.

Ive never had much luck on netfleet or the other smaller AU marketplaces. I find approaching end-users more successful. I found the .net.au names a waste of time, companies just arent interested in them. We primarily use .com.au in Oz

Last edited:
•••
I have tried before and the market was just too small. I did learn from it though and have also picked up a couple hundred .au domains to have another go.

My strategy was:
  • Register .net.au where I think the .com.au was less likely to proceed (basically checking if they were a domainer or not)
I registered about 400 .net.au before the eligibility date and managed to get about 50% of the .au domains without contest.

In terms of sales I just park at Bodis and have a contact owner banner prominently at the top. Then just adding to the usual places like Sedo and Afternic.

I'm planning to set up a storefront to redirect users from Bodis to a for sale landing page. Unfortunately most of the existing services don't allow you to checkout in AUD which means a custom solution might be necessary.

PS. I'm setting up a Discord channel for .AU owners but have been reluctant to promote it on DNtrade due to the direct competition. Have added to my signature below.
Thanks for the comments James. Interesting strategy. I've reg'd a couple of hundred. All mine were done after 4 Oct. Have spent many hours analysing lists then doing WhoIs searches, preferring domains where the .com.au was developed, and even better if the .net.au was registered too. Of course there were still some names I took where the .com.au was parked, but I was very selective. Was pretty surprised at the quality of some domains I hand reg'd, but it took a fair bit of work. All good though. The aim really is to sell a couple reasonably cheaply so that I am free-carried for the remainder (at least for the first year), and see how we go from there. Though theory is not always the same as practice.. ;)

I've never used Discord before as I seem to have so many other messaging apps as it is. Maybe I'll add another though!

•••
Ive sold a few .com.au names over the years but its hard work, the maret is pretty weak. I've actually sold more .com names to the .com.au owners by sending them an email.

Ive never had much luck on netfleet or the other smaller AU marketplaces. I find approaching end-users more successful. I found the .net.au names a waste of time, companies just arent interested in them. We primarily use .com.au in Oz
Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking Outbound might be more successful, though I usually steer clear of it as I just don't have the time. In my searches I saw some very decent size companies that had not taken their .au and was tempted to register it and try to resell to them (maybe they missed the memo about .au Direct), but I resisted the urge. While it may have worked, I just wasn't prepared to take the risk.

I see .au direct has well and truly taken over from .net.au now (no's registered), so I think .net.au is going to be virtually dead in the water now.

•••

My strategy was:

What store front are you trying to use? I use woocommerce and there are tons of options that I use for AUD. Having said that, I've just set up prestonames.com to sell my domains, and feedback I got was that I should use USD (even though there are links on every listing to market places with USD).

•••
I looked at buying some .com.au and .au, but my thought was... The enduser market is probably pretty small and the domainer maket even smaller, especially as the owner has to have an ABN.

•••
Anyone have any , mortgage , finance , loan , . com .au domains for sale at reseller prices .

DM me .

Thanks

•••
I’ve sold around 40 .com.au names over the last few years. Mainly via Dan. Since Dan was acquired by GoDaddy late last year, my sales have completely dropped off. The GoDaddy lander is horrible. Can’t figure out if it’s the new lander (which would confuse a buyer as it’s not well integrated into Dan’s platform) or the general downturn in the economy, with fewer Australians starting up businesses. I have over 800 .com.au names.

•••
Back