Dynadot

Anyone else registering 3D domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It seems that 3D is going to be the the next must have technology, according to the big brands, they are all launching 3D TVs.

I attempted to find good 3D names but the best domains are already taken, I think in 5 years time or even less, those generic 3D domains will be worth a lot. :imho:

Anyone else registering 3d domains? Do you think they have a future?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
oh ... no i didn't see, i'm sorry

good job on the maintenance - this thread has been fast furious - i had no idea :)
No worries :)

hmmm... how's this?
...asparagus isn't exactly a 'sexy' representation for a woman
haha

agreed...even with 3d glasses on :hehe:

then again.....at my age - pretty much anything can be made sexy :o
but that's a whole other thread....

•••
I see someone is asking for an appraisal of this name in the appraisal section??

3d // channel //com

Looks very similar to a name in my sig

I havent got the heart.....

---------------------------------------

this may already be on here....not sure though

Sky has announced that it would showcase its 3D TV service at the Westfield shopping centre in London on March 12.

All visitors will be provided with polarising glasses to watch the 3D demo, which will include Arsenal's game against Manchester United. Visitors will also get a chance to watch tennis, football and boxing matches in full 3D service.

The broadcaster will give a chance to shopers to participate in a competition to win a 3D-ready TV set, a Sky+ HD box plus a subscription to Sky's top level TV pack.

As many as 100 other shopping centres are expected to host a 3D demo over the next 12 months.

Subscribers will require a Sky+ HD receiver plus a 3D-ready TV set to watch the 3D service.

Last edited:
•••
I see someone is asking for an appraisal of this name in the appraisal section??
:O

Hey man, sorry. I asked for my appraisal after reading this forum and I guess your name stuck in my head. I've corrected it and sorry for the mistake if it is your name.

•••
"Monochrome TV achieved a 50 percent market penetration in the U.S. in 8 years. Color TV took twice as long, even after a backwards-compatible system was invented. An entire new system was needed for color TV. 3D TV is more involved in terms of production issues for questionable additional entertainment value.

Some believe that 3D TV might be the "killer application" that will drive the demand for ultra-broadband to the home. However, 3D involves horizontal shifts in picture elements, which would be particularly appropriate for bandwidth compression. 3D would increase the bandwidth by less than 10 percent, if at all.

So in the end, 3D is still a gimmick--a costly and complicated gimmick requiring special production equipment, new TV sets, and spectacles for viewing--and, of course, standards. 3D TV is just another over-hyped medium--a bubble.

A. Michael Noll
Professor Emeritus of Communications at the Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism at the University of Southern California. At Bell Labs during the mid 1960s, he created some of the earliest 3D stereoscopic computer animations. His 3D animation of a rotating 4D hypercube at YouTube has had over 90,000 views."

Read more: A 3D TV Bubble is emerging - FierceTelecom

On the other hand...

The article reminded me to buy 3DARTV.com
because I can use it for 3D Augmented Reality TV and 3D Art Videos
(also, it will add a nice dimension to my other art sites)

People may not want to watch a 3D "gimmick" all the time, but when they do I'm betting AR and 3D Art videos will be a guilty pleasure they'll want to treat themselves to from time to time.

•••
Here's the consumer reach for the following terms; ranked in order
Courtesy of Google Insight [ see results official here ]

1. 3D Player
2. 3D Players
3. 3D Media Player
4. 3D Web Player
5. 3D Disc Player

Not actually accurate because the searches were likely "Blu Ray 3d Player".

I don't agree with much of what Froy says but it is actually a legitimate point that "3d players" will likely be searched less than "blu ray 3d players". I don't know how SEO will change in the next 2-3 years to know how to get the "3d players" on its own highly ranked. Google finally has serious competition and how they tune their searches will undergo serious changes in response to these challenges. To be sure, the competition may actually be a better search source for these items and I have no idea what their tools are :)

But to the point... there is no such thing, nor will there ever be a "3d player". There will be a 3d movie player. 3d disc player. The biggest disappointment will be when you discover that 3d is nothing more than a codec. It's mostly software and software doesn't need a player once bandwidth capacity gets up to snuff. I imagine we'd get more "can the PS3 play 3d movies" queries than "3d players" .....same for "3d streaming"

Some things HAVE to be specified. There is a technical difference between a 3d Camcorder and a regular Camcorder in terms of actual hardware. These are excellent domains.

The joke with this thread is that almost everything about 3d is not new and is old. It's based on 100 year old concepts.... just needing fast enough hardware 240Hz, light enough materials at a low cost.

On some of the subjects:
I've never seen or heard of a 2d surgery. I've never heard of 3dBras....

Sure there's some new hardware pieces coming so they are good terms. A 3dTV is has technology built in and is specifically new hardware (good choice)... 3dHomeTheater will just be excellent upgrade from sound to sound-&-vision... 3dCamcorders is awesome because it's specific tech. 3DChannels could be excellent. I'm not sure on 3dBoxing/3dSport... have definite potential, leave it at that.

Nearly everything else registered 3d is an existing thing and unrelated to the current "tech push".

With respect to registering 3dBluRays. You can't sell something that works on the same technology and call it Blu-Ray... you can't compete with their IP/TM... but there is no OTHER way to identify a Blu-Ray disc OTHER than Blu-Ray disc so it's hard to really protect. It's called nominative use. As long as you aren't disparaging or ruining the reputation or pretending to be AUTHORISED or AFFILIATED with Sony then you will likely be ok.

If I made a machine that charged an iPod I could probably register iPodCharger.com without getting in trouble - of course the best thing would be to get it Apple certified though (how they protect their brand ).

I doubt any court would expect you to register "3D Player of those shiny things in that format owned by some group"

http://www.wipo.int/search/query.html?col=domain&qt=blu-ray&charset=utf-8

Just my $1.02c.

Last edited:
•••
Hey man, sorry. I asked for my appraisal after reading this forum and I guess your name stuck in my head. I've corrected it and sorry for the mistake if it is your name.

no worries mate B-)

But to the point... there is no such thing, nor will there ever be a "3d player". There will be a 3d movie player. 3d disc player. The biggest disappointment will be when you discover that 3d is nothing more than a codec. It's mostly software and software doesn't need a player once bandwidth capacity gets up to snuff. I imagine we'd get more "can the PS3 play 3d movies" queries than "3d players" .....same for "3d streaming"

Appreciate your post mate, but I disagree with most of that, the stats are already showing what people will call them, not all the technical/precise names that directly identify the product, the public usually decides on this stuff, and being as lazy as we are, we usually shorten/abbreviate the long phrases, and therefore "3d players" will be a better option than any of these

3d movie player
3d disc player
3d holo player
3d chip player
chip play
disc player
holo player

Again, this is just my opiniopn, I could be totally wrong here..

Last edited:
•••
•••
I was thinking that 3D names could be worth it ... then I remembered the old domain permutation fact... there are 5,000 permutations per name- if you don't have the best , then --ummm-- good luck to the rest... I have been down that road and it can be rough, ... think about it , five thousand several slightly different meanings, just look at the last post...
Names are one thing, development can be the difference!

•••
no worries mate B-)
Appreciate your post mate, but I disagree with most of that, the stats are already showing what people will call them, not all the technical/precise names that directly identify the product, the public usually decides on this stuff, and being as lazy as we are, we usually shorten/abbreviate the long phrases, and therefore "3d players" will be a better option than any of these

Again, this is just my opiniopn, I could be totally wrong here..

Probably not. Even after I wrote it I started to chang my mind because ..... in the world of software there is no "thing"...3d software player and I think we're heading there pretty quickly. My mind change quicker than technology. That said - many of those searches may be unrelated to a Blu-Ray 3d player and generic 3d software players...

•••
I regged 3dtube .us many moons ago and just regged expired names:-

3dbluraytv .com
3dcomputerimage .com
3dtelecommunications .com
3drecipes .com
3dphoto .biz

All seem to make 3d sense to me!!!!

Last edited:
•••
I Agree - BluRay will be the leading 3D Player brand

Not actually accurate because the searches were likely "Blu Ray 3d Player".

I don't agree with much of what Froy says but it is actually a legitimate point that "3d players" will likely be searched less than "blu ray 3d players".

But to the point... there is no such thing, nor will there ever be a "3d player".

Just my $1.02c.

Let's set the record straight - Blu Ray represents a brand of 3D player just as Samsung represents a brand of LED 3D TV

However, since the "Blu-ray group" consist of the nine leading electronic companies: Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG (Lucky GoldStar) Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung, It's very likely that we will only here about one type of 3D Player - The Blu-Ray 3D player

Just my marketsense,
LexisDomains

Last edited:
•••
GREAT

Q: 3D TVs are expensive. In tough economic times, how fast and how mainstream can these TVs become?

Yoon (president of Samsung): There was a study carried out by the Consumer Electronics Association in the U.S. (saying) that 65% of consumers are willing to pay a 25% premium on a 3D TV today. The pricing we have decided on is based on this evidence. People predict maybe one million to seven million 3D sets will be sold this year (industry-wide). I believe a minimum of five million will be sold.

Q: But are people going to buy a 3D TV when they only recently sprung for a new HDTV as part of the transition to digital?

Yoon: When we looked at the LED-type (2D TVs) market last year during an economic crisis there were a lot of doubts about whether these would be viable. The expectation was that maybe 2 million would be sold, but last year 2.6 million were sold and our market share was 80%. Now when we look at 3D TVs (based on LED technology), the product Samsung is launching is a standardized product. This is an opportunity for the TV industry. I believe there will be 70 3D Blu-ray titles out this year. I have high expectations.

Katzenberg (DreamWorks Animation CEO) : I look at it in a slightly different way. The innovation of the experience from flat screen to 3D on these new TVs is exceptional. At a 25% premium, I think consumers are going to see that as a very high value. As always happens, when a new innovation is introduced it starts at a high end. First adopters' will be driven by sports and games. And very quickly you'll see this move to the mass market. If you look at a first year of introduction and the predictions (for five to seven million 3D TV sold this year) -- in an introductory year that is huge. (And) there's a very high multiple of that number coming in 2011.

Q: The DreamWorks Animation studio is producing three movies a year now, all in 3D. How important is it for DreamWorks and others in the industry to get 3D into the home?

Katzenberg: For our filmmakers who spend four years making these movies, for them to have these films enjoyed the way they were created and designed on these spectacular TV sets has come much faster and of a much higher quality than we had anticipated. This is several years ahead of (expectations). Three years ago, when we made the commitment to offer all our movies in 3D, we thought the home market would be five to seven years (out). And it's here today and the quality is much greater than we had actually expected.

I think DreamWorks Animation was the first studio to commit 100% of production to 3D; now many studios are doing more and more. We have sports channels, Discovery, ESPN, BSkyB, multiple platforms. Content creators and deliverers are committed to 3D in the home. And a lot is accelerated by how spectacular these TV sets are.

Q: Is wearing 3D glasses a hurdle for consumers?

Katzenberg: Many many many people wear glasses. What's the big deal? And if you don't wear them inside because you need them for quality of sight, in this day and age almost everybody who walks outside into sunlight wears sunglasses. I think that stigma of wearing glasses was back to those days of cardboard red and blue goofy glasses that made you look like a dweeb. You felt like an idiot sitting next to a girl wearing those glasses.

Those days are gone. You see these new glasses -- they're beautifully styled. What is going to happen very quickly is the eyeglass companies are going to go into the business and people will make choices. Those options will be there within a year. 3D eyeglasses will become as common as the many choices as exist in sunglasses today.

Q: What will Blu-ray movies cost in 3D?

Katzenberg: You can't buy the Blu-ray 3D version of Monsters vs. Aliens or Shrek. They're exclusive to Samsung for a year. (The 4 movies in the Shrek series become available in 3D in the 4th quarter; Monsters vs. Aliens in 3D is just coming out now.)

DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg talks up 3D in the home - USATODAY.com

Last edited:
•••
"So in the end, 3D is still a gimmick--a costly and complicated gimmick requiring special production equipment, new TV sets, and spectacles for viewing--and, of course, standards. 3D TV is just another over-hyped medium--a bubble."

Given that all four of these criteria are already fulfilled, What is the likelihood of the manufacturers abandoning the new capabilites in their products, and what is the likliehood of consumers avoiding a product with 3D capabilities for any other reason than price ?

The new 3D technology is no gimmick, it is a reality that is here to stay IMHO. The products are already on the shelves.

•••
Let's set the record straight - Blu Ray represents a brand of 3D player just as Samsung represents a brand of LED 3D TV

However, since the "Blu-ray group" consist of the nine leading electronic companies: Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG (Lucky GoldStar) Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung, It's very likely that we will only here about one type of 3D Player - The Blu-Ray 3D player

Just my marketsense,
LexisDomains

Well... if we're going to get all technical it's Blu-ray as the group.... and not Blu-Ray and it's really just a format. There's also no such thing as LED TV - just LED Backlit or OLED.

I believe we'll only really see officially 3D Blu-ray Disc™ Player.... maybe without the Disc.

So I agree with all you say, more or less.. ;)

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

The new 3D technology is no gimmick, it is a reality that is here to stay IMHO. The products are already on the shelves.

HDDVD, Betamax and WebTV

•••
I believe we'll only really see officially 3D Blu-ray Disc™ Player.... maybe without the Disc.

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

HDDVD, Betamax and WebTV

I hope so.

Here is a reg I just did:) 3DKing.me

•••
3DTour/s.us still available to reg.....:santa:

I can't reg the .us .... the .ca is developed :| dang I was 7 years too late.

•••
While I agree with your conclusion, the "standards" criteria is still an issue as several OEMs are each pushing a 3D standard based on their proprietary technology. And, Avatar 3D is not Alice in Wonderland (post production) 3D which is not the YouTube 3D. While this inconsistency may result in some consumer frustration with the "3D product"... at home (where one makers' glasses won't work with another companies product), at the theatre and online... in the end I don't think it will matter much as by the time OEMs and Hollywood get on the same page -- "The Cloud" will become the great equalizer... streaming the full spectrum OTT (Over The Top) and in so doing creating the defacto 'Standard'.

"So in the end, 3D is still a gimmick--a costly and complicated gimmick requiring special production equipment, new TV sets, and spectacles for viewing--and, of course, standards. 3D TV is just another over-hyped medium--a bubble."

Given that all four of these criteria are already fulfilled, What is the likelihood of the manufacturers abandoning the new capabilites in their products, and what is the likliehood of consumers avoiding a product with 3D capabilities for any other reason than price ?

•••
Hi, thanks for opinion. Yep , about another 150. are the other ones any good then?

•••
Hi, thanks for opinion. Yep , about another 150. are the other ones any good then?

I personally didnt like them, but that doesnt mean you cant sell them

•••
The domainers are missing out. They are piling up 3D domains that qualified end users did not even deem worthy of reg fee. Where are the buyers ?

I thought 99% of the .com domains in this thread were bad but we are now seeing multi keyword domains being registered in second tier extensions such as .tv or .org. Honestly the resale potential for those is less than zero.

Sometimes multikeyword is better then 1 keyword. Especially if you seo the site on the domain.
Example: Big brands will launch their products for homes as "3d home theaters" and/or "3d home cinema". If you wanna be specific, those would be longtail keyworded domains, BUT: What would you think people will be looking for on the search engines? It cant possibly be searched without those words.

There is a lot missed by people that keep focusing on 1-2dictionairy words. Whatever becomes the "common" words to name these systems, will be key.

The question is, would using Avatar3D.com have resulted in more sales?

The answer is: Depeding on who these sales would be for? The movie producers? Who knows. I dont think it would. The guy registering it and getting an affiliate share of whoever buys a ticket to the movie: Yes.

First of all, I'd like to thank the haters.

I just got a $42,000 offer on one of my new 3D domains.

Stick with it people! Don't let these know it alls get you down. We are going to be kings. I am living proof of this!

I wish i could ignore people like you. But stupidity has to be answered sometimes. Tell your mom to cut down the internet connection before you end up on youtube being viral and looking dumb. You don't help any of us here, you make us look stupid too.

OK, I'll try it again. Yes, it can be taken from you in the court. For evidence, google 'wipo cases' or 'udrp' or visit legal section of this forum.
Actually, I am selling mini site together with that domain. I registered to their aff program with that site and notified them I'll use it to promote their main site and i got green light from them. Its very common in adult industry.

I will be googling now and let you know what i think, thanks.

Btw. are you sure about that affiliate from metart, because if im correct, you cannot target for the same keywords as they are targettig their programs themself. Thats common in adult industry.

If your theory is true, then why were good things said about 3Dmovies.com, 3Dplayer.com and 3Dchannel.com?
Put something up that is worth NP giving you a complement and you will probably get complements.

No offense, but isnt it all speculations whatever we say. If we are enthousiasts or naysayers, nobody knows for sure. But at least some of us are coming with good arguments, and proof of trends. Which i havent seen from any naysayer. Just denying everything doesnt make it true or not happening.

That you dont see rain when its dark at night, doesnt mean your not getting wet. ;)

•••

Since I'm done registering 3d domains, here's a tip.

Go to Namejet, Snapnames, and Pool, and look for 3d domains pending delete (within the next day or so), with 0 bids. Don't bid, because these names are probably not worth $69-$99, but may be worth taking a chance for reg fee.

If they drop from the registry, then you may be able to snag some of them for reg fee.

As with any reg, don't reg just because someone else owned the name before.

Do your research.

•••
•••
Sometimes multikeyword is better then 1 keyword. Especially if you seo the site on the domain.
Example: Big brands will launch their products for homes as "3d home theaters" and/or "3d home cinema".

I agree with that.

Btw. are you sure about that affiliate from metart, because if im correct, you cannot target for the same keywords as they are targettig their programs themself. Thats common in adult industry.

You are right, some programs does not allow usage of their brand in promotion, some allows but with penality (ie. will pay you $15 PPS instead $50), and some dont mind it. Thats why its best to sort that situation with your aff manager (as I did with MA). But, lets stay on thread topic, there is adult subforum for discussion like this.
And, good luck with your 3D's :)

•••

Stick with it people! Don't let these know it alls get you down. We are going to be kings. I am living proof of this!
I say BS.

... SILENCE truly is GOLDEN in this thread.
:bingo:
Indeed some people would better keep silent rather than spewing BS :|

•••
The guy has 4 posts, and some people are gullible enough to believe him..Of course, it is BS, no new reg would ever sell for that amount...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back