IT.COM

information Anyone advertise Domains/Brands for sale in publications?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
This am I met at Lynnhaven Coffee with SharonT the publisher of Bayfront Living aka BestVersionMedia(.)com. We had an incredible meeting talking about Publishing, Domaining and Branding when I asked if she knew of anyone who advertised domains or brands in any of her publications? She wasn't aware of anyone, but we're both going to pursue the idea.

Before leaving the coffee shop I met the owner Jackson Nash. I learned that he belongs to the Specialty Coffee Association of America, and I talked with him about possibly advertising domains/brands in any of the coffee house publications. I then proceeded to tell him that I already owned several pretty good names like SavortheBean, and when I got back to my office I registered BetheBrew (applicable to either coffee or beer). It's names like these that might be appealing to readers of a magazine just for coffee?

Anyone know of anyone advertising domains/names in magazine publications? It makes sense to me:xf.grin:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Many businesses devote some budget to marketing / advertising their products and services. However, one has to keep in mind a realistic sales price that potential customers will be willing to pay, how much a particular advertising medium is going to cost and the likelihood that promotional efforts are going to generate results. The cheapest advertising is a domain for sale landing page or marketplace listing. Many end users will go out of their way to avoid paying for an aftermarket domain. I do not believe this type of effort (magazine ads for recent handregs) is going to be worthwhile for most domain portfolios.

•••
Many businesses devote some budget to marketing / advertising their products and services. However, one has to keep in mind a realistic sales price that potential customers will be willing to pay, how much a particular advertising medium is going to cost and the likelihood that promotional efforts are going to generate results. The cheapest advertising is a domain for sale landing page or marketplace listing. Many end users will go out of their way to avoid paying for an aftermarket domain. I do not believe this type of effort (magazine ads for recent handregs) is going to be worthwhile for most domain portfoli
Garptrader, while I don't disagree with what you're saying, I believe you and I are targeting two different sorts of "end users". For example, if I were to run an add in the industry rag published by the Specialty Coffee Association of America touting a few of my domains like SavortheBean, BetheBrew or GourmetDrip I might be targeting anyone and everyone who might reading this rag to include employees and managers who may want to go into the coffee/restaurant business themselves. Furthermore, I might say something like "For less than $25 a month any one of these PREMIUM DOMAINS can be yours" Of course my ad would direct the reader to go to go to my domain marketplace or to call for more information.Make sense? Twenty five dollars a month for 36 months generates $900 for a domain that cost me $8.50, and I can own 100 of these sort of domains for $900 a year. Make sense?

•••
I agree with garptrader. I'm sure plenty of the Registration services like godaddy etc advertise their services in those publications but for a portfolio holder, No It just doesn't make sense to be spending $XX.XXX+ on a magazine campaign.. The chances of that intended 'Subject' audience being in the market for branding alone is very small. Sure your adverts may awaken/create some 'thoughts' but that's hardly likely to convert into sales.

Now if someone had been able to 'Totally' corner the market in all terms specific to that market, It may be a different matter. So some of the Ntlds may consider that avenue (Extension holders not registrants)

So yes. The Dot Coffee holder is going to go for specific publications to Coffee. I'm sure that type of advertising is already out there

Last edited:
•••
Garptrader, while I don't disagree with what you're saying, I believe you and I are targeting two different sorts of "end users". For example, if I were to run an add in the industry rag published by the Specialty Coffee Association of America touting a few of my domains like SavortheBean, BetheBrew or GourmetDrip I might be targeting anyone and everyone who might reading this rag to include employees and managers who may want to go into the coffee/restaurant business themselves. Furthermore, I might say something like "For less than $25 a month any one of these PREMIUM DOMAINS can be yours" Of course my ad would direct the reader to go to go to my domain marketplace or to call for more information.Make sense? Twenty five dollars a month for 36 months generates $900 for a domain that cost me $8.50, and I can own 100 of these sort of domains for $900 a year. Make sense?

Then do it and see how it works.

My guess is print marketing like that would be a waste of money as the audience of readers who are potential domain buyers is very small.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

My guess is print marketing like that would be a waste of money as the audience of readers who are potential domain buyers is very small.

Brad
Brad...I wouldn't trust anything you recommend. For instance, Bailey assumed I have zero experience or no experience with trade journal publications. However, I can assure you I have more experience than most anyone reading this. How so? I'll just point to two industries 1. the healthcare industry and 2. the legal debt collection industry where I not only read monthly publications sent to all their members, but each of those industries had ads and classified sections in the back of their rags that sold everything from new business start up kits to entire businesses for sale.

btw, Go Daddy's ads are very generic, and while their ads may attract some attention, I'm talking about something way more targeted and specific. Assuming I own a few domains that just may be attractive to "some" industry readers, I feel there's a reasonable chance targeted advertising can work. I know if I owned "Mugford Coffee", I might be interested enough to change my name to something more appealing like SavortheBean, BetheBrew or GourmetDrip.

Thanks Brad for your input, but you really do bring out the best in me:xf.smile:

•••
I agree with garptrader. I'm sure plenty of the Registration services like godaddy etc advertise their services in those publications but for a portfolio holder, No It just doesn't make sense to be spending $XX.XXX+ on a magazine campaign.. The chances of that intended 'Subject' audience being in the market for branding alone is very small. Sure your adverts may awaken/create some 'thoughts' but that's hardly likely to convert into sales.

Now if someone had been able to 'Totally' corner the market in all terms specific to that market, It may be a different matter. So some of the Ntlds may consider that avenue (Extension holders not registrants)

So yes. The Dot Coffee holder is going to go for specific publications to Coffee. I'm sure that type of advertising is already out there
Bailey...you're missing my point. I'm talking about specific target marketing with actual domains I may have for sale. Do you read any trade journal magazines? Real Estate? Restaurant? Entertainment? Do you see, or are you aware of what kinds of things vendors and other members sell? Just for the record, most people I know are interested in all kinds of names. While I probably know a few thousand people by name and face, about a thousand each on FB and Linkedin, pretty much everyone is interested in the "name" industry when I have an opportunity to tell them about it.

And as far as the "market for branding alone is very small"? Small compared to what Bailey? With over six million business started in the US each year alone, I tend to disagree. There is a lot of need for domains like you and I own, but the average individual doesn't know you or I exist and I'm looking at changing that dynamic all by myself by not hoarding domains:xf.wink:

•••

Brad
Again Brad, I want to thank you for the motivation. First, do you know how HUGE the coffee industry is? Were you aware there are over 50,000 specialty coffee houses in the US alone. How about that it's a 18 Billion dollar industry? Come on Brad...think outside the box a little. With "Mug" being the first syllable in your name surely you have come up with some creative domains involving Mug's:xf.smile: of coffee or beer.

How about a coffee house or brewery called BYOMUG.com? Your inspiration just helped create BrewPlease™(not the greatest but not the worst either). In case you weren't aware Brad, the keyword "brew" is either a verb or a noun, and it can apply to beer or coffee.

Finally, thanks for your guess that, "the audience of readers who are potential domain buyers is very small."
You may want to guess again:xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Equally I believe your missing my point. Yes, I do occasionally read trade journals. I trained as a chef but then went on to complete my degree in Business management and worked for many years in merchandising for Thorn EMI. Creativity is in my soul.

My reference to the trade journals and its audience being small is in regard to "Re branding" as a specific of that audience. I have come to learn "thatNameGuy/Bulloney" that once you have an idea in your head very little (If any) constructive criticism is going to sway you from your own self belief. I quite admire your tenacity and mindworks but I see very little ever becoming anything in reality. Your all over the place when it comes to ideas but you clearly do lack the ability to Focus. I do understand, I believe it's an attempt to cram every idea in to our (Yes i'm 63) Golden years

I could imagine had you came fully-on-board with domains in the early* 2000's (No I'm not referring to your Company naming) you would have had a very successful career in domains - Maybe your just a little bit too late to play catch-up.

*Yes, I do note that 'single' registration in 2001.

Last edited:
•••
Equally I believe your missing my point. Yes, I do occasionally read trade journals. I trained as a chef but then went on to complete my degree in Business management and worked for many years in merchandising for Thorn EMI. Creativity is in my soul.

My reference to the trade journals and its audience being small is in regard to "Re branding" as a specific of that audience. I have come to learn "thatNameGuy/Bulloney" that once you have an idea in your head very little (If any) constructive criticism is going to sway you from your own self belief. I quite admire your tenacity and mindworks but I see very little ever becoming anything in reality. Your all over the place when it comes to ideas but you clearly do lack the ability to Focus. I do understand, I believe it's an attempt to cram every idea in to our (Yes i'm 63) Golden years

I could imagine had you came right-on-board with domains in the early 2000's (No i'm not referring to your Company naming) you would have had a very successful career in domains - Maybe your just a little bit too late to play catch-up
Ray...me thinks you've been around this industry way to long. While you've been at it over 10 years, I've been at it just 18 months. It didn't take a business/marketing genius to understand why Verisign referred to domain investors as "hoarders and scalpers". Maybe you understand why they said that Ray? I know I realized it when I arrived at NP in November of 2017.

Ray, I'm sure you don't like to think of yourself in those terms....but if the shoe fits:xf.wink: Entrepreneurs are opportunists, and Verisign only confirmed my suspicions about this industry, thus creating an opportunity that's incredible imho.

Finally, I know I'm borderline ADHD, but for me it's a strength and not a weakness. I've hand reg'd two domains never before registered, just in the last few hours; BrewPlease(.)com, and BrandKwik(.)com. Just 10 days ago I registered CanDoBrands, and here is what my rep, who has been with GD over ten years, had to say in an email to me about the name;

"Wow Richard, I’m surprised that candobrands.com was publicly available? Kinda shocked, but I like cando way better than brandcan. I agree with all the commenters. Congrats!"

I guess it's because I have a can do attitude(y) that I view this industry differently than most.

•••
•••
I remember reading domain ads in the back of magazines around 20 years ago or so. Haven't checked them lately though. Wish I saved some for archiving.

•••
I believe its the largest export commodity, Trump hatred by certain groups is probably coming in at number 2 export... lol.

Who your target? New Coffee shops have walk in business and don’t have a need for a website or money for domains. Maybe a couple new chains are created per year for brands. Wholesale Coffee Farmers and the Coop’s the Farmers sell their beans don’t want or need domains. Processors either, they don’t need them and are mostly well established.

The only segment of the process might be Consumer direct raw bean distributors and New businesses buying Coffee Roasters might need to brand. Roasting equipment websites or magazines perhaps.

FYI, in the past the Japanese have been the highest bidders it seems on selected awarded crops and raw beans. Here is a recent article $803 per pound. This one farm in Boquete gets major $$$.

https://dailycoffeenews.com/2018/07...st-of-panama-auction-record-at-803-per-pound/

I have attempted in my niches with classified ad’s without any success, fyi. Doesn’t mean much, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Pre-mass internet usage 95’-00’, I ran a $12 mo. classified ad in a trade magazine with no competitors and extracted $200k a year from that one ad and business segment, meanwhile major corp. dumbshit competitors had no idea, and they wasted ton’s on image advertising in full page color ad’s. It used to work, again pre internet, pre email spam by everyone.

Guerilla marketing in todays short attention span public, non reading fast moving headline only culture, and mass confusion is much more difficult and drowned out by social media imo. Try it out, you never know if you find the right publication and cheap ad.

•••
I remember reading domain ads in the back of magazines around 20 years ago or so. Haven't checked them lately though. Wish I saved some for archiving.
I wish you did too. Do you remember if the domains were industry specific to trades where they were advertised? I would only advertise coffee/perk/grind/brew domains in the AmericanSpecialtyCoffee rag.
My theory, if you want to learn something new read an old book:xf.wink:

•••
I know that the registry for the .storage extension are at trade shows of storage facility owners and I would imagine they also advertise in the trade pubs for that, and I think economics make sense. While it would depend on cost and reach, I can see trying it in way @ThatNameGuy suggests but key to consider economics. Would obviously work best in trade that is growing rapidly with many potential name seekers and with a well focussed trade pub with reasonable advertising rates. Being seen there might help long term even if immediate sales were not common.
Bob

•••
^ let me correct that for you ;)
That's pretty funny NameDeck. I know you were taking a swing at humor, but it turned out a swing and a miss:xf.rolleyes: You have two more swings before you strike out so concentrate:xf.wink:

•••
I know that the registry for the .storage extension are at trade shows of storage facility owners and I would imagine they also advertise in the trade pubs for that, and I think economics make sense. While it would depend on cost and reach, I can see trying it in way @ThatNameGuy suggests but key to consider economics. Would obviously work best in trade that is growing rapidly with many potential name seekers and with a well focussed trade pub with reasonable advertising rates. Being seen there might help long term even if immediate sales were not common.
Bob
Bob...another good place to advertise industry specific domains might be at trade schools, and even undergrad and grad schools. For example, the Culinary Institute of America has literally thousands of graduates each year who are headed to work in any of the tens of thousands of restaurants. Some of these grads went to culinary school with the idea and hope of owning their own restaurant whether it's a Pizza shop or a gourmet restaurant. I just bought GourmetCops(.)com for many a cop that would like to start a restaurant.

The plan is to finance domains, and I'd happily accept $25 to $50 a month for 24-36 months for most of my domains. Bob, the idea is worth trying and I might even look into partnering with the trades 50/50 to make it worthwhile for all concerned. Thanks Bob(n)

•••
I wish you did too. Do you remember if the domains were industry specific to trades where they were advertised? I would only advertise coffee/perk/grind/brew domains in the AmericanSpecialtyCoffee rag.
My theory, if you want to learn something new read an old book:xf.wink:

Can't recall 100% but I'll try to see if some are archived online (this week)

•••
That's pretty funny NameDeck. I know you were taking a swing at humor, but it turned out a swing and a miss:xf.rolleyes: You have two more swings before you strike out so concentrate:xf.wink:

Decent comeback :) won't derail further but it was too good an opportunity to pass on.

On subject though. I doubt it's worth the advertising cost unless you have a huge portfolio.

Also, rebranding is expensive as hell so your domains would have to be category killers.

But you know, feel free to give it a shot and I would genuinely be interested to know how it worked out.

•••
Can't recall 100% but I'll try to see if some are archived online (this week)
Thanks....like with anything else there are a lot of variables, but being aware that print advertising has worked for me in the past, I think it's worth a shot.

•••
Decent comeback :) won't derail further but it was too good an opportunity to pass on.

On subject though. I doubt it's worth the advertising cost unless you have a huge portfolio.

Also, rebranding is expensive as hell so your domains would have to be category killers.

But you know, feel free to give it a shot and I would genuinely be interested to know how it worked out.
Thanks NameDeck...i see from your "information" page where you own 2,000 domains similar to our buddy Brad of Data Cube. Whether that's considered huge is relative? I do think however you should have at least 50 industry specific domains before trying something like this. Let me give you an example where something like this might work....as of about 10 days ago I started accumulating domains that use the keyword/name Tiger that Go Daddy values at $2,100. Why Tiger?....because Tiger Woods just won the Masters, and the Clemson Tigers won the FSB/NCAA National Football Championship. Also, because the tiger is considered one of the most beautiful wild animals in the world. The first Tiger domain I hand registered was BetheTiger,
and while and I've since bought 20 more to go with it like; TigerScents, TigerCharters and SavortheTiger.A friend of mine in the industry has a contact at Nike (Tiger Woods Sponsor), and he's looking to show off the name there. In the mean time, there are about 30 colleges in the US whose nickname is Tiger. Actually, a NP member is an Auburn Tiger and I believe he runs a pretty successful brand company called Brand Consultants. I've told him about it, but because he's made his mind up that I'm just a domain charlatan I doubt we could work together:xf.frown: However, another good friend of mine is a Clemson Tiger and he recently retired as CFO of Weston Air, a publicly traded company in LA. He was the one that recommended that I try to reach someone at Nike to present BetheTiger to.

This all brings me to where I might advertise my portfolio of Tiger domains? In
Tiger alumni magazines of course. Reasons?, alumni consider themselves Tigers and relate to the Tiger name. They generally have money, and can afford to buy a domain that might cost a few thousand bucks. Another friend of mine, and former partner in a medical billing business we owned together is a LSU Tiger, and I'll never forget him telling me the LSU Tiger alumni are among the most rabid sports fans in the world....how cool is that:xf.cool:

•••
Thanks NameDeck...i see from your "information" page where you own 2,000 domains similar to our buddy Brad of Data Cube. Whether that's considered huge is relative? I do think however you should have at least 50 industry specific domains before trying something like this. Let me give you an example where something like this might work....as of about 10 days ago I started accumulating domains that use the keyword/name Tiger that Go Daddy values at $2,100. Why Tiger?....because Tiger Woods just won the Masters, and the Clemson Tigers won the FSB/NCAA National Football Championship. Also, because the tiger is considered one of the most beautiful wild animals in the world. The first Tiger domain I hand registered was BetheTiger,
and while and I've since bought 20 more to go with it like; TigerScents, TigerCharters and SavortheTiger.A friend of mine in the industry has a contact at Nike (Tiger Woods Sponsor), and he's looking to show off the name there. In the mean time, there are about 30 colleges in the US whose nickname is Tiger. Actually, a NP member is an Auburn Tiger and I believe he runs a pretty successful brand company called Brand Consultants. I've told him about it, but because he's made his mind up that I'm just a domain charlatan I doubt we could work together:xf.frown: However, another good friend of mine is a Clemson Tiger and he recently retired as CFO of Weston Air, a publicly traded company in LA. He was the one that recommended that I try to reach someone at Nike to present BetheTiger to.

This all brings me to where I might advertise my portfolio of Tiger domains? In
Tiger alumni magazines of course. Reasons?, alumni consider themselves Tigers and relate to the Tiger name. They generally have money, and can afford to buy a domain that might cost a few thousand bucks. Another friend of mine, and former partner in a medical billing business we owned together is a LSU Tiger, and I'll never forget him telling me the LSU Tiger alumni are among the most rabid sports fans in the world....how cool is that:xf.cool:

BeTheTiger is quite nice actually. I can see someone using that. I wouldn't count on a couple of thousand from 'Tiger' alumni though. There's not many people spending that kind of money on a personal/hobby domain. Couple of hundred maybe. But, it has a nice ring to it and I can see it being used as a promotional domain. The right buyer might pay up a couple of K,who knows.

•••
BeTheTiger is quite nice actually. I can see someone using that. I wouldn't count on a couple of thousand from 'Tiger' alumni though. There's not many people spending that kind of money on a personal/hobby domain. Couple of hundred maybe. But, it has a nice ring to it and I can see it being used as a promotional domain. The right buyer might pay up a couple of K,who knows.
Again, thanks for your feedback. "BetheTiger" is much like Nike's "Justdoit" tagline. I'm looking into licensing it for anyone that buys another "tiger" domain from me like "SavortheTiger", or "TigerCharter". btw, as I said, most college alumni are generally professionals in their designated fields, and many of them own businesses. For instance, I just bought TigerChiropractic(.)com. It's a little long, but a name like that should fetch more than a few hundred dollars. The friend I mentioned who just retired and was a graduate of Clemson (Tigers), his son just finished veterinary school at Clemson and has landed a job at one of the most prestigious Veterinary Clinics in Georgia...now let me see if TigerVeterinary is available, and if it is I'm buying it for $8.50....make sense?

•••
Again, thanks for your feedback. "BetheTiger" is much like Nike's "Justdoit" tagline. I'm looking into licensing it for anyone that buys another "tiger" domain from me like "SavortheTiger", or "TigerCharter". btw, as I said, most college alumni are generally professionals in their designated fields, and many of them own businesses. For instance, I just bought TigerChiropractic(.)com. It's a little long, but a name like that should fetch more than a few hundred dollars. The friend I mentioned who just retired and was a graduate of Clemson (Tigers), his son just finished veterinary school at Clemson and has landed a job at one of the most prestigious Veterinary Clinics in Georgia...now let me see if TigerVeterinary is available, and if it is I'm buying it for $8.50....make sense?

I agree, BeTheTiger could work just like Nike is using just do it.

Tigerveterinary I'm not sure about... Sounds like the main focus would be Tiger treatment and I reckon that's not in demand that much :)

Anyway, you get a lot of crap over your ideas but you may be onto something here. Don't get your expectations up though. Be reasonable and try to sell something at mid $xxx first. The feeling of making that fiest sale will motivate you even more and it should give you the opportunity to test for the sweet spot of your targeted end-user niche.

You seem to enjoy exploring new territory. If you can spare reg fee on a couple of names, good for you and enjoy your journey.

Sometimes domainers (me included) focus to much on the business side and ROI and forget to have fun along the way.

•••
Oh...I don't mind the crap...it makes me better...really:xf.wink: As for TigerVeterinary i debated whether or not to add "Clinic" to it, but that would have made it way to long...maybe not? Now that I think about it TigerVeterinaryClinic might sound more like it's a veterinary clinic just for Tigers, but it sure would bring attenition to itself "if" a Clemson Tiger Paw (logo) went with it or the tagline BetheTiger.

However, I did just register TigerJamas™ for someone who wants to design soft cuddly tiger print pajama's for kids and adults. I can imagine a whole family headed to bed wearing their TigerJamas..

Are we having fun yet:ROFL:

•••
Back