IT.COM

question Any way for registrars to send emails guaranteed to end up in Spam?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Strange question right? Let me explain why I’m asking.

I recently got hit with big renewal late fees for my CCTLD’s domains.

I use to get emails on the regular from this registrar then nothing for weeks.

Then I got one email finally and it said I have 20 domains that I need to pay a late fee to get them in good standing.

In this scenario this registrar is in a good position to collect late fees and or auction the domains I chose not to renew.

So when emails end up in Spam it benefits the registrar.
How hard would it be for a registrar to create emails that guarantee they end up in spam box. It would be a “nobody’s fault” and “act of God” where no one is to blame. But then the registrar ends up laughing to the bank.

So do you think they can create emails that will end up in spam boxes?

Renewal letters that end up not being seen end up having domain owners lose valuable domains.

I found 20 renewal letters that ended up in my spam box when they never

I trust no one and I would not put it past a registrar to do this especially if you have no way to prove it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Its The Key Words Emails Generally Filter out words associated to spam like large sums of coin

•••
If somebody wants to end up in spam - he can send emails with low deliverability rate, by not using common techniques such as dmarc/dkim/spf for example. Even if the sender is using said techniques, his emails may still end up in spam folder. For example, Epik registrar is listed in at least one RBL (Real-time blackhole list), Raptor:

https://raptor.pccc.com/RBL

Even though was reported in Epik thread, it still says (check URL section) -

Warning:
Your query (epik.com) was found in the RBL because of Bad URIs (details), please use the Report a Problem Page to request to be de-listed

Bad URIs
URIs in this category are common senders of spam, and should be scored as an indicator of spam.

So, any email system which is using this RBL, such as apache spamassassin with default setup, will classify emails from epik dot com as spam.

It may be possible to determine what exactly happened any why with each particular email by checking email headers:

https://mxtoolbox.com/public/content/emailheaders/

•••
Strange question right? Let me explain why I’m asking.

I recently got hit with big renewal late fees for my CCTLD’s domains.

I use to get emails on the regular from this registrar then nothing for weeks.

Then I got one email finally and it said I have 20 domains that I need to pay a late fee to get them in good standing.

In this scenario this registrar is in a good position to collect late fees and or auction the domains I chose not to renew.

So when emails end up in Spam it benefits the registrar.
How hard would it be for a registrar to create emails that guarantee they end up in spam box. It would be a “nobody’s fault” and “act of God” where no one is to blame. But then the registrar ends up laughing to the bank.

So do you think they can create emails that will end up in spam boxes?

Renewal letters that end up not being seen end up having domain owners lose valuable domains.

I found 20 renewal letters that ended up in my spam box when they never

I trust no one and I would not put it past a registrar to do this especially if you have no way to prove it.

Can they? Yes. Would they? Most probably not.

You can avoid this issue by whitelisting your registrar's domains so it will not get flagged as spam.

•••
Like @branding said, this is one of the ways to do it. In the past, I have called up registrars who happened to wave off my late fees or helped me cancel a domain name that was auto-renewed but I didn't intend to. I think they have power and if you reach out to the right stakeholders who are willing to help, you should be able to!

•••
Back