IT.COM

Any email service which is not evil?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
gmail, protonmail, requires javascript ==> evil.
yandex: you can use w/o JS, but many things are wrong.

A good email service:
in addition to respecting users, providing enough security and privacy etc..
they must,
- not require javascript: Yahoo is trying to push JS down our throats in the past 20 years.
Usually there was a fix. Now there isn't any. They pretend we can switch to yahoo mail classic,
but when you click on it, it doesn;t work.
We want to get help: answer the captcha, but you can't click the thing to go to next step.
So they are intentionally being evil, and meanwhile screwing things up,
and still pretending to show us options, and have no help or feedback channel.
-a good email service provides a big window when typing an email,
doesn't mix it with past emails. each email is separate.

What happens when you enable javascript: in addition to collecting too much info,
they make the site hard to use.

-you can't go to next page of emails: you have to scroll down forever
(same as search engines, pure evil), so you will never know where you are at.
-you can't edit messages you are replying to.
-you can't open many messages at once. you can't choose "open in new window/tab",
because once you click , you go there, you are lost.
-when you click on a new email, all past emails from the same sender are included,
you can't know which one is the new one.

At yandex, you click on an email, and it is not an email, instead it is a search,
and many messages with similar titles will show up. you won't know where you are located.
Also you send messages in bcc, and you also add yoursfelf, but while you open
the message you got from yourself, you also see contents of bcc.
it should be hidden, unless I'm accessing that email from sent-folder.

Thanks to NP, it works without JS as well.

Looks like there is a stupidifying/slavery project worldwide in all aspects of life in addition
to stealing and selling peopl's private info . Showing matching ads is the most innocent part.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Now Firefox has cache clearing problem.
I go to settings>privacy>manage data>erase data for chosen sites (cookies and more)
I erase the data, but they come back, although all windows are closed,
except firefox' internal management pages (which should work offline).

So they are lying.

Last edited:
•••
You can host it yourself. 100% in control. Wouldn't recommend it though.

•••
Now Firefox has cache clearing problem.
I go to settings>privacy>manage data>erase data for chosen sites (cookies and more)
I erase the data, but they come back
Is it an official build of Firefox from Mozilla, recent version?
Have you checked for updates? It might be a bug that they've fixed.

•••
Firebox' cache clearing bug didn't exist in the past. It is new, and might be related to updates.
maybe I'm missing something there.

And Dynadot requires captcha after a few search and Captcha didn't work (once at least). Is this Dynadot's fault: no. But we shouldn't be too dependent on third party services.

•••
If you're paranoid about privacy (to such a degree), use a Tor based email provider

•••
inprivate browsing, vpn are ways to go also about privacy.

•••
You may find web-based email which does not require javascript today, but what if they upgrade tomorrow? So, accessing your email via email software (apple mail, etc.) may be an option. No javascript necessary. You'll need to enable imap/pop3 access, but, unfortunately, these protocols do not support 2FA (by design).

Another option would be using an own domain and webhosting in a privacy-friendly country (outside of 5 Eyes, 9 Eyes, and 14 Eyes at least). Iceland maybe? You have no obligation to run a website, just under construction or some default page is OK - and you'll have email as a part of almost any webhosting package. Even webmail with javascript would not be that harmful in this case.

Firefox started to write about their privacy so actively that it is suspicious. Try palemoon instead (palemoon dot org) - looks like good old firefox 3, and is actively developed. Or, "ungoogled chromium". With addons like ublock origin, decentraleyes, canvas blocker...

Last edited:
•••
I may be wrong about this but, why not use an email client?

•••
If privacy is such a huge concern, then you really shouldn't communicate over the network. Period.

When you send an email, multiple stakeholders get involved...
  • Your browser - It can store and read cache and cookies
  • Email client - With JS enabled, it can send requests in the background without requiring your input
  • Network itself - When you send an email, it goes from your machine, to the mail server of your mailing service provider, to the mailing service of the destination inbox's mailing service provider. How do you ensure that even if you have hosted your mail on your own server, the destination mailing service provider is not an evil?

•••
Privacy is not everything.
(And because of new/hidden techs it may not exist at all in the future.
and management would be the key).
They all made their service less usable, more confusing.
Worrying too much about privacy is not healthy, because it would be noticable , get attention etc.
Even when Y mail was ok, sometimes I was lazy to disable JS recently.
So I'm against JS (when forced, when there is an alternative), but it is not only about privacy.
Under JS, they add more and more evil, and promote it as New! as if new means better.

Btw, now, I think NFTs are also about collecting data from/using people, just like pokemon.
Previously it didn't make any sense, now it does. They buy nfts from famous people and it appears on media, and from random people and it becomes viral marketing. So people post things which normally they wouldn't under the name of decentralized digital art, while it is only a trick to make people expose themselves and things around them. Does any normal person buy nft. Ask yourself, would you ever buy any nft. But people think there are buyers.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back