Dynadot

discuss Another reason to dislike GoDaddy?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

creataweb

Some Guy with Awesome Senior High School PhotoTop Member
Impact
Got an offer at GD for a name. Accepted it. Fast forward 2 weeks and still nothing from GD and no update on if the buyer paid or not. The note just said "Pending Buyer Purchase."

I contact GD to ask about it. Specifically said I was the seller and needed the status on the domain so I can re-list it elsewhere if buyer isn't paying or responding. GD responds saying a long winded statement about me buying some domain and that I need to contact the seller. Lol, are you serious? What is the minimum level of reading comprehension needed to work for GD? I sold a domain and explicitly explained that in my support email and get the total opposite back.

This is not the first time either. This has happened with Afternic as well before.

Also, why does GD not always assist in a transaction? The last name I sold there I had to do all the work myself and that included trying to contact the buyer to figure out why I wasn't being told about transferring the domain so I can get paid. So GD takes the 20% but does nothing else? Time to say NoDaddy.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That probably does not make you think if the guy who listed it sells it he can negotiate with me for a sale for his benefit. If I am right about that if you contact [email protected] they can remove it. :)

•••
That probably does not make you think if the guy who listed it sells it he can negotiate with me for a sale for his benefit. If I am right about that if you contact [email protected] they can remove it. :)

SENDING emails to Godaddy and aftermarket usually, if not always, lead people negative result, that leaves people bad impression in your platform.

Yes the company is too big, that all the workers mostly concern their own benefit and conveniences rather than customer experiences and Godaddy ‘s service quality

As customer. We have very little power to fight back.

•••
You don't have to fight anyone a simple email to [email protected] will straighten it out.

•••
Look at the godaddy website and user page, you can tell how lazy godaddy company is. Year after year, decade after decade, Godaddy UX never get improved. Functions are mixed like a mess.

Come on, godaddy is rich, why cannot it spend some money to improve the user experience?

The only reason I can find is that they don't give customer a sh*t. They charge customer discount club fee, and they still charge you an expensive renew fee even after you joined the club. They see customers as stupid newbies.

If I work at this company, I must quite. Garbage.

They dont see how namesilo customer services look like, they dont care how nice uniregistry UX look like. They only know themselves, the Godaddy, are the best and top of the industry. But man, my dear domainers, do you give godaddy a sh*t?

Holly Godaddy, holly godaady!
lol...that's funny. I think GD is okay but the way you said this made me laugh. I actually have noticed some minor issues with log out redirects, etc. Also, the way the payment gateway is setup, The system allows you to have so many paypal profiles that I can't tell which one to use. Now I just remember which one works. I need to go in and delete all the others.

Just little things, but I do think there are small improvements that could go a long way.

•••
We do check.

I don't think you do.

I just listed a LLL.com that I don't own as Make Offer. It shows in my account, and when I search on Afternic, it shows as "Make offer" over there too.

•••
we do check we have 13 million domains or so listed so it may take some time but we will find out and likely ban you from selling with GoDaddy or Afternic if they think you are doing it purposely of the owner complains etc.

•••
lol...that's funny. I think GD is okay but the way you said this made me laugh. I actually have noticed some minor issues with log out redirects, etc. Also, the way the payment gateway is setup, The system allows you to have so many paypal profiles that I can't tell which one to use. Now I just remember which one works. I need to go in and delete all the others.

Just little things, but I do think there are small improvements that could go a long way.

Maybe what I said is funny. But in 10 years, Godaddy will out of market if they dont see this risk. They dont have enough incentive to make change and think forward.

Technology improvement, ux improvement, those are very important. Godaddy is too enjoying using traditional way to manage modern trend. Now you dont see too much conflict, but this will bring more and more problems.

Managing domain names should be more and more simply, not more and more complicated. And to make things simple is super challenging, especially to the lazy corporation like Godaddy.

•••
we do check we have 13 million domains or so listed so it may take some time but we will find out and likely ban you from selling with GoDaddy or Afternic if they think you are doing it purposely of the owner complains etc.

In the meantime, I received an inquiry through Afternic for my "new" LLL.com......

•••

Without innovation, no matter how hard your people work, still a loss.

•••
I have been using godaddy for 10 years, even not very long

back in 10 years ago, we all though choosing godaddy should be the only choice. Now things different. This is not a super difficult business model. now we have many other better choices

look back, I didnt see godaddy has big things too much changed. auction market still a mass, managing domains still feel uneasy, ,,almost nothing too much

•••
In the meantime, I received an inquiry through Afternic for my "new" LLL.com......
I'm not sure about that. We do manually monitor some of the high value names that are listed and I asked the guys who do it and they said we haven't had a 3L added in over 3 weeks. Maybe we have different definitions of 3L, I think LLL maybe you mean LNL or L-L etc, but eventually your name will be found in one of our audits and it is against our terms to list names you do not own. I have said this several times in the thread, it is against our terms to list names you don't own, we do check names, and it would be foolish to break our terms of service and be banned from one of the most powerful buying / selling platforms available.

•••
I have been using godaddy for 10 years, even not very long

back in 10 years ago, we all though choosing godaddy should be the only choice. Now things different. This is not a super difficult business model. now we have many other better choices

look back, I didnt see godaddy has big things too much changed. auction market still a mass, managing domains still feel uneasy, ,,almost nothing too much
We innovate all the time. Just take a look back at archive.org and see what we looked like a few years ago. We constantly roll out changes.

•••
We innovate all the time. Just take a look back at archive.org and see what we looked like a few years ago. We constantly roll out changes.

then fire your guy. they did bad jobs.

I have dealt with lots of business, their IT departments working day after day like crazy, but eventually only themselves happy with the result. customer? no, we dont feel any big better.

just dont live in your own imagination. dont show those useless data. use customer perspective to demand yourself.

•••
I used to receive lots of godaddy phone calls, when I pickup, the guys spoke with very strong and pushing attitude to notify my domains are expiring. and they can give me a big discount if I renew. I then asked them how much discount, they said blabla, em....still much expensive than namesilo and uniregistry.

I told them I can deal with this by myself, please just dont call me. it is about a few months, I received a lot.

•••
I would just ask for free, automatic volume discounts.

Smooth out the push process

Maybe a few other tweaks.

I learned a long time ago that when you are ahead, dont slow down. Thats when you work harder.

Great job and always room to improve.

•••
and in October 10, Godaddy automatically charged me around 17.99 dollar in something called Premium Cash Parking Renewal. In one week later, I call back to request to cancel that automatic charge, because I never remember when I put that product as auto renew, and I dont know what is cash parking renewal

and I also know godaddy cash parking is.........very shitty

however, the guy from godaddy customer services didnt accept my request. you know how difficult it it???

I know they can give refund if you request on time. But that guy said he couldnt do that because of blabla,,,,,it is another unhappy experience with godaady

waiting on the phone and talking, then arguing on the phone for more than 1 hour. waiting, talking, waiting talking. eventually The guy asked me to wait and he will go to discuss with someone else,,,,,,and finally gave me the discount, but very unhappily.

Compare to other registrar, I dont know why godaddy

Last edited:
•••
I think GD are pretty good never had a problem with them, and do get some good discounts on domains

•••
I'm not sure about that. We do manually monitor some of the high value names that are listed and I asked the guys who do it and they said we haven't had a 3L added in over 3 weeks. Maybe we have different definitions of 3L, I think LLL maybe you mean LNL or L-L etc, but eventually your name will be found in one of our audits and it is against our terms to list names you do not own. I have said this several times in the thread, it is against our terms to list names you don't own, we do check names, and it would be foolish to break our terms of service and be banned from one of the most powerful buying / selling platforms available.

I'm trying to help you. It's not me who has the problem, it's Afternic. The domain I listed is worth $500k.

I now see it has been removed. Not sure how automatic, or manual, this removal was, as a result of my posting here.

Would it have been removed if it was not a high value LLL.com and just a mere 2-word domain ? No, because you allow domains that are under privacy, without asking for owner verification.

•••
I have just listed most of my domains on Afternic as well so will see how that goes regarding any sales.

•••
The domain I listed is worth $500k.

I can also verify the domain is worth NORTH of $500k, @Asfas1000 had it listed and was live long enough to generate an inquiry. Similarly to how this user (https://www.afternic.com/sholiviks) has been able to list 18,000 domains he does not own. (Previously the listings ran upwards of 26,000.)

"... we do check names, and it would be foolish to break our terms of service and be banned from one of the most powerful buying / selling platforms available."

Another massive lie. You check domains have a working email, and that's about it. Users are allowed to post domains on your distribution network with BIN prices that they simply do not own.

In fact, I discovered another domain was added without authorization TODAY. Conveniently, the users account is not visible. I am boycotting any dealings with Afternic/Godaddy permanently.

•••
Final update: Got an email today from GD the buyer never paid and has been banned.

•••
As a side update, I discovered another user listing over 22,000 domains owned by other people on Afternic, with instant purchase prices. This means Godaddy is using their syndicated network to promote, sell, and DEVALUE the domains of investors who choose to work independently.

It appears as if Afternic thrives under this model as they clearly have no intentions to follow their own internal terms of use.

https://www.afternic.com/web1144

WATCH OUT:
If you get an email offer from TDNAM or Godaddy by a "private buyer" refuse to negotiate and tell the broker you don't deal with third party representatives. Enough is enough!

Last edited:
•••
thanks I'll look into it.

•••
You answer sounds like politician.
:)

I think @Joe Styler posted at this forum that he also owns some domains as a domainer. Joe, please correct me if I am wrong...

But, if so, may I ask you a question? I mean domainer-to-domainer question, if we forget about what the avatar says ("Aftermarket Product Manager").

Joe, do you use GoDaddy or Afternic to personally list your domains for sale? If so, how usable you find Afternic system from endusers point of view? Did you contact service@afternic or auctions@godaddy as a customer (seller), and how did you deal with issues like support people having difficulties with separating buyers from sellers, like providing seller with buyers instructions how to complete the purchase - it was mentioned in this thread, and I also experienced this at least once.

Last edited:
•••
I do use Afternic. When I do use it as a customer I do not use any of the internal stuff and I don't get any special treatment, anymore than another person would, so my account acts like yours and I see the same things you do. I have a bit more of an ability to help improve the system, meaning I know how things should work and how they actually work and if I see a discrepancy or something I think might be confusing I reach out to the developers with the goal of helping all the customers to have a better experience. I make notes and take screenshots and send them up. But I also understand the issues brought up on the forums or blogs or emails I get etc. I take them seriously and bring them up to the developers as well, and we do try and continually improve. I also get to advocate for the customers when new products are designed to make sure they work coming out of the gate and we try and involve customers in beta - non public views of new products - early on to get other perspectives.

I use almost all of our competitors products on a regular basis to sell or buy domains. I like that because I can keep up to date with what is happening in the industry and what is being done to help people succeed.
I don't think any platform is perfect. I think some try harder to help you than others and I think some work better than others.

I think the Afternic platform is good overall and very effective at selling domains. I sold one this week in fact on Afternic. The brokers work hard and are knowledgeable, the network gets your name in front of millions of potential buyers, and the payments are good - meaning I know I am going to get my money. If there is an issue we will look into it and if someone sends you the wrong instructions we find out about it and take care of them so that there is less human error.

I feel like if something doesn't go right I can reach out and get help and someone will listen to me and try and help. I don't get that all the time at other companies, one place I had a month of trying to transfer a sold domain out before finally calling a VP I know at the company to get help to have the name move, they kept locking it and changing the auth codes on it and no one knew why and no one really helped me. I also had a company not pay me out, and got no help even after asking the owner a couple times where my money was. I am not naming names and I don't blame anyone, if anything I know how hard it is to run domain business. My point is this, with some other places I needed to know someone high up after trying to get help the normal way for months. At Afternic, I feel like we try hard to do the right thing for people and that I can get help if I ask, and if I need it, I can reach out to anyone on a forum, twitter, facebook etc, and get help. Not many other companies make it that easy to get help.

So I do use Afternic, they like anyone else aren't perfect, but I think we do try hard and I do get good sales through the network as well as the brokers and if I'm stuck I know I will get help. I did another post somewhere on Namepros where I did a recap of all the stuff we did last year as a result of customers asking for improvements or changes. I'll see if I can find it and reference it here. It was a pretty good sized list. We really do listen and try hard to help improve things based on customer feedback.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back