IT.COM

alert ANOTHER GoDaddy scammer claiming to be GoDaddy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Regarding ICANN's latest confirming contact info , the scammers have a new twist. This one is from China. Pretty slick.. I almost fell for it. Don't you. Read what I got today:
Dear GoDaddy Customer,

ICANN has implemented a new Transfer Policy which affects all ICANN-accredited registrars. The Transfer Policy takes effect 1 December 2016.This email is in response to ICANN's requirement that registrars ask their customers to confirm that their contact information in WHOIS is accurate. You can read more about this requirement on ICANN's site at http://www.icann.org/whois/wdrp-registrant-faq.htm.?

You have registered one or more domains from Godaddy Inc. and verification of the Registrant email address is required for these domain name(s) to remain active. Please click the link below to verify the email address. If you don't verify your email address, we’re required to temporarily put your website on hold until verification is complete.*
Please cut-and-paste the following URL into an open web browser to complete the verification process:

http://www.godaddy-verification.com...ificationCode=473E-RTFU-QSZl-Z2QL-EFEE38A5869

Please remember that under the terms of the registration agreement, providing false WHOIS information can be grounds for cancellation of your domain name registration.
Thanks for your attention to this matter, Please do not reply to this email. Emails sent to this address will not be answered.?
Thanks for being a GoDaddy customer.

When you go to the recommended URL you are asked to login and put in your Go Daddy info. DO NOT do this.... If you do you have given away your Go Daddy details to a scammer.

This is the whois info for godaddy-verification.com
Domain Name: GODADDY-VERIFICATION.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2107321331_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.publicdomainregistry.com
Registrar URL: www.publicdomainregistry.com
Updated Date: 2017-05-23T02:40:53Z
Creation Date: 2017-03-23T05:19:52Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2018-03-23T05:19:52Z
Registrar: PDR Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com
Registrar IANA ID: 303
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: Not Available From Registry
Registrant Name: afesf
Registrant Organization: ads
Registrant Street: sdfdsf fdsfd
Registrant City: fddsfds
Registrant State/Province: Jilin
Registrant Postal Code: 123123
Registrant Country: CN
Registrant Phone: +010.12312312
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected]

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Thanks for sharing this valuable info.

•••
Thanks @mitch007

@Joe Styler Is this something that can be prevented? My previous abuse reports to PDR typically resulted in no action and I don't have any hope in reporting this time either

•••
I received this one today, too... almost fell for it, too, but not quite... noticed the lack of SSL certificate, then the smart ass domain! Seems to target specific domain names - asked me to verify email for a nice pattern 6L.com.
Thanks @mitch007
@Joe Styler Is this something that can be prevented? My previous abuse reports to PDR typically resulted in no action and I don't have any hope in reporting this time either
Maybe GD can fare better if they complain to ICANN... or directly to PDR maybe?

•••
•••
I received this one today, too... almost fell for it, too, but not quite... noticed the lack of SSL certificate, then the smart ass domain! Seems to target specific domain names - asked me to verify email for a nice pattern 6L.com.

Maybe GD can fare better if they complain to ICANN... or directly to PDR maybe?

Yes..it targeted my only 6n domain I am holding at GD

•••
Woaah man, this is slick work indeed....thanks for sharing mate.

Seem these skanky scammers are getting better and are upping their game. :xf.eek:

•••
Scammers, the cancer of domaining and entire internet.

•••
be sure godaddy related stuff you go to or click says godaddy.com for adress
no variations bs like godaddy-verification.com or whatver else.
except the usual country extensions

that's first thing I look at .. whether godaddy or other registrars.. the link address.

ty

Last edited:
•••
Whois is not even blocked for the owner of the name, lol

•••
you think there would be a better way to shut these things down

•••
A lot of scammers dealing with Godaddy ... had experience of this recently ... but unfortunately Godaddies system failure allowed the scammer to get away with it!

Stay tuned ...

•••
•••
In situation like this it's worth spending a few minutes contacting GoDaddy's chat service, or writing to their Support, before doing as requested in the email.

Takes a bit of time, but it's better being safe that sorry.

Very often scammers give clear signs when they send their trash out, such as poor English, but this one seems pretty good. They need shutting down, fast.

•••
The moment it reads Dear Godaddy Customer. I know it is for the trash can.
They should know both my account number and my name.

•••
The moment it reads Dear Godaddy Customer. I know it is for the trash can.
They should know both my account number and my name.
Yes but I am sure plenty on mobile or older folks or end users with 1 or 2 domains will fall for it.

•••
Yes when in doubt make a call to support, not much hassle really when you consider the alternatives

•••
Okay so there are scammers buying domains through the Godaddy Fast Transfer Program and then welching.

I've had a domain transferred to the Gaining Registrar via Fast Transfer.

But -- amazingly the funds in fact were not received ... but the domain is transferred from Godaddy.

The registrar, one of those small little registrars you wonder where they ever came from ... Google Domains or something? With a name like that I mean really..

So Warning: never ever spend the money (as I did) from a Godaddy/Afternic fast transfer sale until it is in your bank.

Last edited:
•••
It's the amount of spamage i get that annoys me . Got frightened because i'm sure i've received them and may have clicked one by accident ran through my emails just incase :xf.confused: .

Perhaps domain websites shouldn't hold customers to ransom by charging a privacy fee would solve a lot of problems and probably not that hard to changeover hope its implemented in the future. And an option to verify your whois for listing on sites with a cname/txt file etc only.

They should however offer a small cost per domain for that information if someone is interested in purchasing it then a small fee ($1-2) shows interest. This could also be extended to licenced brokers through a central body only where they would need to use that (specific address)- thinking along the lines of 1 governing site log in to locate domains - on behalf of buyers.

Again it can't be stopped brokers will misuse etc sell information but i'm certain it cut out a lot of crap.

Only you can prevent forest fires... :bear:

Last edited:
•••
Okay so there are scammers buying domains through the Godaddy Fast Transfer Program and then welching.

I've had a domain transferred to the Gaining Registrar via Fast Transfer.

But -- amazingly the funds in fact were not received ... but the domain is transferred from Godaddy.

The registrar, one of those small little registrars you wonder where they ever came from ... Google Domains or something? With a name like that I mean really..

So Warning: never ever spend the money (as I did) from a Godaddy/Afternic fast transfer sale until it is in your bank.

Rats! These people only go on for so long eventually they get caught up and punished.

•••
That's it @Pepto. The thief is the victim.

•••
Glad to see we are all smart enough to know better lol. I received this one recently as well, I normally check the url in links before clicking on them for this reason!

•••
Thanks for sharing! They're getting pretty slick.

•••
Thanks for this valuable information because most of us may not notice url.

•••
Back