Dynadot

Annoying Afternic domain verification

NameSilo
Watch

smarti

carpe diemEstablished Member
Impact
afternic has really poor technical assistance in verifying domain ownerships, that's really annoying. They keep open doors to frontrunners and allow other to compromise legit listings...

case1:

after uploading my domains, afternic rejected to list some, telling me they are already listed by another seller, albeit I have hand-registered those domains recently! so - first come fist list or what?

case2:

I noticed that my domain listed exclusively on SquadHelp has been also listed on Afternic by a different seller. SH has limited exposure because of this issue and I again am in charge to prove ownership.

Depending on portfolio size that is *really* wastes legit seller's time.

GD has already implemented TXT record validation, and already connecting GD and Afternic accounts, so why Afternic still doesn't at least use that method for validation?

I mean that so stupid simple to implement, how comes GoDaddy acquired Uniregistry and DAN while Afternic is not able to implement this so important feature since 2019 ? ( that year was my first request on this feature to them). And Afternic has already a feature to detect a disconnected domain (so if domain gets deleted, afternic will remove it as well). Afternic, please do someting about it.

Feels to me, like they don't want to implement this domain verification check for whatever reason, maybe they will have to unlist 30% of domains once they put the feature inplace, which might have a negative impact on share price... I dont know, but that really annoys me and other domainers...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good points. No need to reinvent the wheel here.

+1 for Adding TXT or Cname Verification.

•••
GD has already implemented TXT record validation, and already connecting GD and Afternic accounts, so why Afternic still doesn't at least use that method for validation?
Very good question. I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations with the verification challenges in Afternic. There is clearly a need for verification on Afternic, given the number of incidents like yours cited on NamePros.
Sedo used to have had negative reviews on TrustPilot related to the problem of domains not owned by the presumed sellers. They appear to have corrected this problem successfully.
Afternic hopefully will step up to the plate and solve this recurrent issue.

•••
When we contact Afternic customer support with regard to domain rejection, we're asked to provide ownership proof. Sending proof and getting reply takes about 1 week time. Surprising that they don't have TXT record based verification.

•••
case1:

after uploading my domains, afternic rejected to list some, telling me they are already listed by another seller, albeit I have hand-registered those domains recently! so - first come fist list or what?

case2:

I noticed that my domain listed exclusively on SquadHelp has been also listed on Afternic by a different seller. SH has limited exposure because of this issue and I again am in charge to prove ownership.
I've faced case1 issue many times.

As, I'm starting to list names in SquadHelp as well, for sure, there will be issue with Afternic listing by a rogue actor as well!

•••
yeah the irony is they require no proof for the scammers to list your name first. Years back they sent a confirmation email at least.

•••
yeah the irony is they require no proof for the scammers to list your name first. Years back they sent a confirmation email at least.
That sounds like a great idea! Sending the email would help at least alert someone to a fake listing showing up.

But, hopefully a more stringent verification system will eliminate that need. Please note that if you do take privacy off, adding the names becomes very simple.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back