IT.COM

discuss Andrew Rosener selling Spearfishing - Justification for Premium Domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Seems Andrew Rosener has given up on building out Spearfishing.com as I saw it was listed on Namejet. Don't see it up there anymore but if you try to visit the site it throws a MySQL database error. Unsure how long it has been like this. If he is listing on NJ he probably doesn't want to use it.

This begs the question if a domain broker like Rosener doesn't want to hassle with building out Spearfishing... how can you justify the value of premium domains to people?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Seems Andrew Rosener has given up on building out Spearfishing.com as I saw it was listed on Namejet. Don't see it up there anymore but if you try to visit the site it throws a MySQL database error. Unsure how long it has been like this. If he is listing on NJ he probably doesn't want to use it.

This begs the question if a domain broker like Rosener doesn't want to hassle with building out Spearfishing... how can you justify the value of premium domains to people?
----------------------
On one of the domainsherpa he discussed this a while back. I don't he was thinking of developing it for profit as much as a labor of love. He decided there are better use of his very valuable time.

•••

Assuming he had built it up, how would it help you to "justify the value?"

•••
Assuming he had built it up, how would it help you to "justify the value?"
--------------------- Sorry, I don't understand the quesion...wht is he selling the domain for?

•••
It cost alot of time and money to fully develop domains. A buddy of ours put alot of time into GoFISHn.com which later just turned into a facebook page. He originally built a social media platform. Its alot of work to build and keep a community clean of spam and focused on topic. Something that a company with resources for community managers and content creators need to have in place. Not something you do on the side.

•••
----------------------
On one of the domainsherpa he discussed this a while back. I don't he was thinking of developing it for profit as much as a labor of love. He decided there are better use of his very valuable time.

Don't listen to the show. Why would I?

https://www.namepros.com/threads/is-adam-dicker-a-criminal-you-decide.883579/

It cost alot of time and money to fully develop domains. A buddy of ours put alot of time into GoFISHn.com which later just turned into a facebook page. He originally built a social media platform. Its alot of work to build and keep a community clean of spam and focused on topic. Something that a company with resources for community managers and content creators need to have in place. Not something you do on the side.

Plenty of people build profitable sites and start small. So you would only sell to companies that can develop with a full team? I doubt it and if you talk the talk, walk the walk.

•••
In my opinion the fact that he has abandoned the site and decided to sell the domain off instead doesn't actually mean the domain is worth any less and shouldn't effect the value of the domain nor should people think it's worth any less. Reason being is that I am also a Internet marketer so I understand where he is coming from. I often buy domains that I intend on developing and sometimes even start off getting the site up and often due to time constraints or other factors the project takes a back seat and ends up not getting completed and in those cases I might end up selling the domain. Another thing is that I also tried setting up a site about one of my hobbies/passions and the problem with that is you get so caught up watching videos and reading articles and magazines while looking for content and it's easy to get lost and not actually get much work done....lol

Just my opinion though.... :)

•••
Developing need both time as well as money and end user can use it in much better way without the hassle of domaining.

•••
•••
Spear fishing, standing in water throwing a spear to catch fish, eat. Seems to difficult to me, I'll just go to Red Lobster, or Captain D's here in the US and I'm good... :D

•••
You`d be amazed there are people who actually spend their time, money and energy on things like spearfishing. Its a hobby/lifestyle thing. Like being a football (soccer) fan. All my fishing is done in a mall in Santander, northern Spain, where all the restaurants in the mall are fish/seafood restaurants. Guaranteed you will fish to your hearts content there.
Why Rosener put the name up for sale who knows.There would be spearfishing enthusiasts who might want it. I am interested in how to get names listed on NJ more than anything else

•••
-----------------
Sorry, I have no idea what your point is?

Dicker used DomainSherpa to sucker people into his development business which didn't do anything. It was such a scandal that Cyger took down ALL of the shows featuring him.

I stopped listening before that as it was clear what was happening. I had talked with the owner of a parking company who had problems working with him. He said, "This confirmed what I thought about him."

I trust no sherpas now.

•••
The market was too small for him IMO. It sounds like a nice domain but id first type in Diving supplies and SpearGun and not Spearfishing if I was searching for supplies online and Spearfishing forum would lose out to all the already established diving forums or online communities or whatever.

It was simply not worth his time.

•••
spearfishing seems like a niche inside a niche. what percentage of people who go spearfishing on a regular basis have access to internet and know how to use it? it would make for an interesting way to blog your way through a few seasons on a tropical island if you were single, i suppose.

•••
In my opinion the fact that he has abandoned the site and decided to sell the domain off instead doesn't actually mean the domain is worth any less and shouldn't effect the value of the domain nor should people think it's worth any less. Reason being is that I am also a Internet marketer so I understand where he is coming from. I often buy domains that I intend on developing and sometimes even start off getting the site up and often due to time constraints or other factors the project takes a back seat and ends up not getting completed and in those cases I might end up selling the domain. Another thing is that I also tried setting up a site about one of my hobbies/passions and the problem with that is you get so caught up watching videos and reading articles and magazines while looking for content and it's easy to get lost and not actually get much work done....lol

Just my opinion though.... :)

He's pretty much saying "I have money and interest but I can't make this work so let me try to get back what I can." He never will because he's gonna want too much for it.

Gives shitty advice anyway.

•••
spearfishing seems like a niche inside a niche. what percentage of people who go spearfishing on a regular basis have access to internet and know how to use it? it would make for an interesting way to blog your way through a few seasons on a tropical island if you were single, i suppose.

Could be but nobody buys a domain like that for personal blogging.

•••
Could be but nobody buys a domain like that for personal blogging.

in a perfect world we wouldn't spend premium money on domains that hardly justify a blog

•••
A lot of people who say they go spearfishing are a lot like a lot of people who say they go hunting.
It is just for fun, to have an excuse to jump in the water in exotic locales.

But the sport, etal has not bearing on why or why not a site was developed.
Or what or what not is the domain worth.

He puts it up at a price, either he sells it at that price, or at some point he lowers the price a bit.
Normal domain selling practice.
Better to start high and come down.
As to start down and try to go up.

•••
Spear fishing, standing in water throwing a spear to catch fish, eat. Seems to difficult to me, I'll just go to Red Lobster, or Captain D's here in the US and I'm good... :D

That's pole spear fishing. Spear fishing is totally submersed, but you're right about it being difficult, unless you want to fish wrasse in which case it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

While that may be the case it's still a very big industry with a massive following. The only issue I see is that all the major players in it tend to focus not just on spearfishing gear but dive gear in general. Pure spear and fishing businesses tend to be smaller businesses.

33k global search volume will get you a decent bit of typein traffic so it has value to a company such as Beuchat. They only distribute to retailers so it's mainly for brand awareness/exposure and protection (in terms of stopping a competitor using it).

The only problem I see is that fish stocks are being depleted at unsustainable rates on a global scale. The EU recently took some drastic measures and banned bass fishing from Jan-June around the UK, Ireland and France. Quotas have also been heavily restricted and it applies to commercial and hobbyist fishing.

Great name, wish it was in my portfolio as I'd be confident of making a sale. Though I've no doubt he did all he could in terms of reaching out. Sometimes you just can't convince a company of the value a name will add to their business.

•••
It's not a great domain. This is a case of dumping junk and moving on.

•••
It's not a great domain. This is a case of dumping junk and moving on.

As someone who spear fishes I have to respectfully disagree. It's possible I'm being biased. But I know one thing for certain, It costs a lot of money to get fully kitted out and those that take it seriously spend big bucks on their gear.

•••
As someone who spear fishes I have to respectfully disagree. It's possible I'm being biased. But I know one thing for certain, It costs a lot of money to get fully kitted out and those that take it seriously spend big bucks on their gear.
You're biased. This domain appeals to people that do it, not the masses. Ask someone in Chicago about spear fishing. They could care less.

•••
You're biased. This domain appeals to people that do it, not the masses. Ask someone in Chicago about spear fishing. They could care less.

That goes without saying. However, I still see financial value that goes beyond having rose tinted glasses.

•••
it would make a nice underwater photography blog. i'd pay 50-100 for it but the waters around the island i live on in thailand have been over fished and i'd have to travel or pay for content.

•••
A blog or community is probably the last thing I would do with this name. Travel/Tourism is a great cross over niche to focus on. Spear fishing travel guide with integrated geo amazon store are just a few ideas off the top of my head. Like yourself I wouldn't break the bank to acquire it, but I'm cheap that way. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back