NameSilo
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
Listing at Afternic:
What happens, we get price request,
we respond to it, and probably it doesn't work, because we are not dealing with
actual buyer. Everything depends on the middleman agent from GD.
If the agent ignores inquiries/responses from either side, or
tries to create a gap between buying/selling prices (does it ever happen)
things may not work. They can also make offer at Sedo or Dan, instead of adding
a price request. (there is no proof, but I think there are evidences).
Add fixed price: then your domain may become visible at several registrars,
this is good, but you may not know there is a lead, and maybe only the price is a problem, also
sometimes your price may not be seen for unknown reasons (I think I know but..)
Also the biggest problem: it is almost impossible to remove expired domains ,
if you have too many domains (too much time), and you may have to sell expired domains.
QUESTION:

How about parking in make offer form.
Does it ever work?
I would prefer using Epik parking and sell there (at least when domain is at epik),
but they took all our power, and created room for all types of abuses.
So actually, I would prefer to create my own parking system, but
no easy and good solution found (created a thread about it).
I mean, things need to be partially automated.
It is not good when we get paranoid with every inquiry or offer,
(is the buyer actual buyer, will an agent replace the buyer,
will our offers be submitted, will the marketplace wait until domain expires,..)
and not have any power to follow up with a potential buyer.
Maybe we should not list any domain at any marketplace,
just park them at our own site.
For example our favorite registrar may allow us to create a free landing page,
and maybe we can turn them into a page to collect inquiries.
Most of evil is hidden under convenience. I don't want convenience,
I want control.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
juat use bodis man. no woman no cry

•••
a an agent doesn't ignore anything lol, they are aggressive and will try to close the deal.

Obviously if the agent knows a price they can move things along quicker. Every second that goes by from when a person likes your name, is a second closer to them not being excited about it.

I price most names, not all.

•••
I have begin to hate even Bodis, domain traffic have begin to drop no matter how much domains I add, probably going to build my own web, tired of this play, have domains with high traffic and no clicks, something is suspicious.
The ads they show are targeted nothing related to the word you add, some google crap as always.

•••
Listing at Afternic:
What happens, we get price request,
we respond to it, and probably it doesn't work, because we are not dealing with
actual buyer.
Be reassured that price request can work. My most successful sale with Afternic happened with price request. Now I am starting to wonder about the wisdom of using Afternic Fast Transfer, which I do now for most of my domains. Price request seemed to go so much better.

•••
Price request might mean, there is a potential buyer. But who is placing that request: an AN agent, not an enduser. It works, but only a small percentage works, although all should work if prices are reasonable.
We should be able to get price requests directly from endusers visiting Godaddy and interested in our domains.
Being dependent on agents is a very bad thing. It means, we have almost no control over sale process. So we can lose lots of sales if agents are lazy. Endusers are lazy already.

•••
Price request might mean, there is a potential buyer. But who is placing that request: an AN agent, not an enduser. It works, but only a small percentage works, although all should work if prices are reasonable.
We should be able to get price requests directly from endusers visiting Godaddy and interested in our domains.
Being dependent on agents is a very bad thing. It means, we have almost no control over sale process. So we can lose lots of sales if agents are lazy. Endusers are lazy already.
So an enduser/buyer can't place the price request directly?

Last edited:
•••
I have had agents claim they have offer and not pass it on. Only want to know how low.

•••
So an enduser/buyer can't place the price request directly?
They can, but there is no reason for them to visit Afternic. Basically, they don't know how things work. They see Godaddy ad on TV, and go directly to Godaddy, they search for domain, and Godaddy says, we can get this domain for you. They don't say " click here to add price request at Afternic".
I mean, this is the logical conclusion. Most registrars are similar...They get the lead, and they don't have to act reasonably, for example they can wait until domain expires, or lowball at another marketplace with fake name, and "buy", to secure price on seller side, and if something goes wrong, say at Sedo, they have no responsibility; they get our name and address from Sedo, but theirs is fake, so there is nothing to lose for them.

edit: and this is why Epik is hiding contact info of "buyers": to keep leads for themselves, this is like
Someone sends me a letter, and a postman opens it, erases parts of it, and gives me a deformed version of the letter, but the sender doesn't know it.

Last edited:
•••
Most registrars are similar...They get the lead, and they don't have to act reasonably, for example they can wait until domain expires, or lowball at another marketplace with fake name, and "buy", to secure price on seller side, and if something goes wrong, say at Sedo, they have no responsibility; they get our name and address from Sedo, but theirs is fake, so there is nothing to lose for them.
That is a real concern here. At least, with Dan, it appeared that one could get a direct offer. For Afternic, there is a concern that it is possible that offers are being made, but not forwarded to the seller. It really should be explicit if a marketplace is withholding information about offers being made while the domain is listed there.
Sedo at least indicates whether you want to be informed of offers, and, if so, at what percentage or amount.

•••
If someone makes an offer they automatically send you a price request in addition to the offer. They always want to stick their nose in.

If its an inquiry directly from GD a broker contacts you not the customer.

•••
If someone makes an offer they automatically send you a price request in addition to the offer. They always want to stick their nose in.

If its an inquiry directly from GD a broker contacts you not the customer.
So it's not like Sedo or DAN, where when you get a bid, you simply can click to send your counteroffer?

•••
So it's not like Sedo or DAN, where when you get a bid, you simply can click to send your counteroffer?
When someone contacts afternic about a domain one of these things could happen

1 You set a buy now (or floor, could be same) and the person buys within that range

2 You set a buy now and floor and the person wants to get a better price so a broker emails you

3 You didn't set a price so the broker cannot even tell the buyer what to expect. A price request email is sent to you so you update the site with a price

Afternic is a full service brokerage so you do not talk to the buyer directly, unless the buyer contacted you.

Afternic has two main strengths, one is the fact that they are with godaddy and two is the live sales reps that pick up phones.

Godaddy broker emails are my favorite emails to get unless I didn't price my domain. Usually those emails mean the offer will be good and in most cases the sale will happen.

•••
When someone contacts afternic about a domain one of these things could happen

The problem is, endusers don't go to Afternic.
It is basically an interface between sellers and Godaddy (I think).

Last edited:
•••
The problem is, endusers don't go to Afternic.
It is basically an interface between sellers and Godaddy (I think).
end users go to the domain directly or they search for a name at a registrar like gd etc. Rarely do they go directly to sedo, dan, afternic etc. to look for a name, most don't even know what those things are.

•••
I had a whole lot of domains approved simply for changing landers. Not every domain at GD will be approved but big brother will let you know lol.

•••
Back