IT.COM

strategy Alter.com is closing. What's your ALTERnative plan?

NameSilo
Watch

NameWell

Established Member
Impact
This thread is for those who used Alter. What are you going to do now? Move all your domain names to Dan.com? Try to list them on another brandable marketplace? If so, which one? Rely on Afternic / SEDO? Do something else?

When Alter.com is no longer an option, what is your ALTERnative plan? :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My alternatives are my favorite Brandbucket.com, first, then SquadHelp.com and then Brandpa.com

•••
•••
Sad that Alter had to say farewell. Moved back 831 Alter listings to DAN landers.

Last edited:
•••
Alter.com is not closing i think still working.. maybe you mean your account on alter is closing ?

•••
Alter.com is not closing i think still working.. maybe you mean your account on alter is closing ?
1647979104839.png

•••
I have brandable com names at both Squadhelp and Alter. I sold more domains on Squadhelp from a smaller portfolio.

Squadhelp displays that 95% of the traffic to my domain names is Squadhelp-influenced, meaning that this traffic is the result of the Squadhelp marketing. Only 5% is type-in traffic.

At Alter, 16% is the marketplace traffic, 3% is from the partners (Dan/Sedo), and 81% is type-in traffic. But I sold less domains at Alter from a larger portfolio. These are mainly two-word brandable .com names. My Alter names were manually appraised and approved by Alter before, so these are good names.

Squadhelp charges 30% commission (there is less commission if the name is expensive), Alter charged 10%.

I think the conclusion here is that you need a lot of traffic and eyeballs to these brandable names to sell them. 10% commission is not enough to drive enough traffic.

So I will transfer my Alter portfolio to Squadhelp and from now on I won't complain about the 30% commission :) Looks like the high commission is mandatory to drive enough traffic.

I also considered BrandBucket, but I think SH has more visitors and SH performs more agressive marketing and they are more innovative.

I don't like BrandPa or Namerific.

Daaz/Dan: sure they charge low commission, but they don't do the necessary agressive marketing like SH does.

Of course I will list all my Squadhelp domains at Afternic Fast Transfer, and enable the Sedo syndication for all domains.

•••
•••
Was anyone actually getting sales from exposure on Alter and not just direct type-in traffic to their domain?

•••
Was anyone actually getting sales from exposure on Alter and not just direct type-in traffic to their domain?
Hi

great question!

as with any new marketplace, they need inventory (domainers' domain names) to gain traction.

if, those domains don't receive much type-in traffic, then -
other than "other domainers" viewing the listings, how does the platform draw outside eyes?

simple answer is marketing, right?
but that expense has to be covered by earnings on sales commissions.

volume of sales, depends on quality of products, price and visitors.
and then there's always, the competition.

imo...

•••
I have brandable com names at both Squadhelp and Alter. I sold more domains on Squadhelp from a smaller portfolio.

Squadhelp displays that 95% of the traffic to my domain names is Squadhelp-influenced, meaning that this traffic is the result of the Squadhelp marketing. Only 5% is type-in traffic.

At Alter, 16% is the marketplace traffic, 3% is from the partners (Dan/Sedo), and 81% is type-in traffic. But I sold less domains at Alter from a larger portfolio. These are mainly two-word brandable .com names. My Alter names were manually appraised and approved by Alter before, so these are good names.

Squadhelp charges 30% commission (there is less commission if the name is expensive), Alter charged 10%.

I think the conclusion here is that you need a lot of traffic and eyeballs to these brandable names to sell them. 10% commission is not enough to drive enough traffic.

So I will transfer my Alter portfolio to Squadhelp and from now on I won't complain about the 30% commission :) Looks like the high commission is mandatory to drive enough traffic.

I also considered BrandBucket, but I think SH has more visitors and SH performs more agressive marketing and they are more innovative.

I don't like BrandPa or Namerific.

Daaz/Dan: sure they charge low commission, but they don't do the necessary agressive marketing like SH does.

Of course I will list all my Squadhelp domains at Afternic Fast Transfer, and enable the Sedo syndication for all domains.

@Charybdis thank you for a very informative and well-reasoned response (y) What will you do with names rejected by Squadhelp? Dan + Afternic and then try again to resubmit them to Squadhelp after two months?

•••
@JudgeMind your opinion would be highly appreciated.

•••
@Charybdis thank you for a very informative and well-reasoned response (y) What will you do with names rejected by Squadhelp? Dan + Afternic and then try again to resubmit them to Squadhelp after two months?
I will submit them to BrandBucket, then I am planning to liquidate the rest.

•••
I will submit them to BrandBucket, then I am planning to liquidate the rest.
Or maybe I won't liquidate the rest, but I will leave them at Alter.

I am reading here that someone wants to buy Alter, and then probably I can leave my domains there.
However I have already made the decision to move the approved domains to Squadhelp.

•••
•••
Back