Ali Zandi is selling RainDrop.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominic Belley

Four Letter AcronymsTop Member
Impact
As many of you already know, Ali sent a newsletter today to his RainDrop subscribers.

This time is was not to advertise domains or release a new blog post. No, it was much bigger.

Zandibot is stepping back from the domain industry and just put his new marketplace and a huge list of domains for sale on Flippa. The bid has already reached $30,000 and will probably fetch more more.

I was a bit surprised to read that news so recently after launching RainDrop. But family is the most important thing in the world and I wish him and his family the best for the future.

If you wanted to start your own marketplace under an amazing name, it could be your chance to have it all ready to use.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
after reading his ad i wonder if he is telling the truth or throwing in the towel on domaining??? Have read the same story quite a few times over different domainer each time...whatever the case maybe i wish him the best of luck

Last edited:
•••
Zandi was always a big influence and motivation for the domaining industry, really disappointing that he wants to take a step back.

Anyways best of success!

•••
I'm not sure what to make of this, he always creates something new, then scratches it, then comes out with something else.

Interesting note he said he received $84K offer for Raindrop.com, along with 2 4L.com's, which is a really good offer, why would he not accept, and sell off his other names slowly as he has the skill set to do so?

Even if the Flippa auction were to reach $100K, it is better to sell the 3 names for $84K, then all for $100K.

Last edited:
•••
Anyone has the copy to the newsletter or flippa auction?

•••
edit

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Anyone has the copy to the newsletter
A bittersweet newsletter.

Aloha,

I hope life has been treating you well.

Today's is a different type of newsletter. Personal and family matters have left me with a big decision to make; I have to walk away from the industry for a while. And with that, comes the sale of the Raindrop marketplace. You can view the auction here.

It's been quite a journey thus far, and though I won't be a complete stranger to the industry, you are likely to not hear from me for a bit as I will be dedicating all of my time to my son.

I want to thank you for your support, and for being a part of my journey. This is truly the greatest industry I have ever had a pleasure of participating in, and I look forward to the day I return to it.

I hope that your path brings you countless blessings and many successes, and I hope to see you around sooner than later.

Take good care.

Best,
Ali Zandi

•••
The 4L are ok but the majority has me questioning his experience to pick domains of value.

•••
The 4L are ok but the majority has me questioning his experience to pick domains of value.

With $817,000 in flippa sales alone you should probably learn instead of question... IMO

•••
Dude is cool, learned a ton from him when I started domaining back in January. Best of luck, man.

•••
With $817,000 in flippa sales alone you should probably learn instead of question... IMO
I have $xxx,xxx in sales too, big deal. You're going to sit with a straight face and tell us the majority of these are good?

We can go domain by domain beyond the 4L if need be.

•••
•••
I want to see your portfolio! :)
You've seen it! Or most lol, and it's personal.

Zandi didn't sell $800k of his personal domains, he brokered/listed other's domains at Flippa.

•••

You can open your own appraisal thread if you wish. I won't stop you.

•••
I have $xxx,xxx in sales too, big deal. You're going to sit with a straight face and tell us the majority of these are good?

You have mastered being an a$$ and have turned humble-bragging into an art form.
I am but a mere grasshopper.

•••
You can open your own appraisal thread if you wish. I won't stop you.

No need. I'm stating my valuation here.

This is a huge gamble based on 4L valuations and mostly junk. Raindrop.com is cool but not worth that much. Good luck to all bidders!

•••
You have mastered being an a$$ and have turned humble-bragging into an art form.
I am but a mere grasshopper.

Sorry I don't kneel like most. Domains are domains. Most of the portfolio in question just isn't good. But if it is, please list 50% that are winners.

•••
I wonder if Zandi will Chime in on this thread. kinda wierd to talk about someone without him giving a chance to defend himself.

I for one am far from the "hero worship type" but ............. this guy was very helpful to me with advice

while most "help" I get on here is all nice words tainted with poop.

I guess it takes a certain skill for some people to be "kind" when giving opinions and advice and a bit of subtlety. most come off as just acting like "hot sh*t" and self appointed guru's of NP.

I understand "tough love". but Must it always be the "Go to" Modus Operandi?

This guy is great in my opinion. No cockiness. no "talking down" to you or condescending tone when giving opinions about your domain purchases or reg.

Good luck Zandi. Sucks you are selling Raindrop after you told me it was going to be better than other marketplaces out there.

Last edited:
•••
Family First....Period.

Enjoy your son!

No need to explain yourself any further...IMO

Best of Luck Ali.

•••
Sorry I don't kneel like most. Domains are domains. Most of the portfolio in question just isn't good. But if it is, please list 50% that are winners.

I don't like some names and I like others. There are some pretty decent ones in there.

But you don't know how he got some names - maybe he traded portfolios, maybe he bought portfolios, maybe some names just came along for the ride. Questioning his capabilities as a picker and slating the portfolio as a whole just seems spiteful or perhaps the words of someone who's totes jelly of his fanbase :)

I don't bow down before people either and I know I've annoyed Ali before but as I'm not participating in the auction and it wasn't a self-promotion and no one asked my opinion I'm not going to piss on it either. Perhaps rather than asking ask to defend the portfolio against your broad sweeping claims you can be more proactive and provide your own personal and professional evaluation clearly indicating the true value. That would be a much bigger contribution.

Last edited:
•••
If Ali wants to sell his portfolio to focus on family and spend more time with his boy then good on him...

Ali can always come back to it and even buy a couple of great names after his portfolio sale and sit on them for a while and also have some reserve cash live on for a while? IMO domaining full time absorbs a lot of time and also takes time away from family as there is pressure to sell ensure the current portfolio adds new domains that are very liquid.

He may even need to service a loan? Who knows and it doesn't matter...

I wish him all the best and hope he gets a good sale on the portfolio :)

•••
Personal egos aside everyone just needs to chill out, there are many guys here on namepros who have sold alot of names, they may not be domain celebs, but you should not underestimate what they have done just because they don't talk about it.

Really this is about assessing the assets for sale in this auction, nothing more, we all have personal reasons, all good, when I go on vacation, I set my portfolio on DNS to broker assist, and they take over, no hassle to me, other than giving a handful of quotes on their queries.

Ali is a talented guy, and could probably command a nice 6 figure job within the industry, maybe he has something bigger planned, and that is all good for him. Like was said previously you can simply wake up one day hit the auctions, and be back in the game, whatever.

Raindrop.com is a good name, but it is not a category killer name, so I really can't understand why he turned down $85K for it, along with the two 4L.com's. I see one was a VR domain, but those end user sales are few, and far between, even if you get $10-20K, and $5K for the other one, you still are getting $50K for RainDrop.com which is a great number.

Flippa is a resellers market, but maybe the buzz of this auction might get him more. My guess is the auction never closes, and everything is sold beforehand as the disclaimer states.

Good luck to him, he has helped many people.

•••
Many folk have dropped after the Chinese pulled back it seems

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back