Dynadot

Afternic listing does not override Old GoDaddy Auctions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This is mega nasty headache:
  1. I add a domain to Afternic and it is approved
  2. Then I use Ns5/Ns6 nameservers
  3. Then I visit the domain lander and be surprised that it listed at different price
  4. Then I discover that there is an old listing (not by me) at Godaddy Auction with that price
  5. I try to add my domain to Godaddy Auction to override the old listing, I set TXT record to my "Godaddy auction verification ID".
  6. But then I get error message "domain is already for sale"
Untitled-2.jpg

So there is no way to remove domains from Godaddy Auctions other than contacting support and waiting for more than a week for an answer.

@James Iles
@Joe Styler

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Agreed. Most of my Afernic domains are listed on godaddy auctions by another users or old owners. They are selling our domains, we - renewing.

•••
You need to email Afternic support and ask them to remove old listings.

They might require proof sometimes.

If you grow enough you'll be assigned an account manager that does this for you on a daily basis as needed (I have one).

•••
  3. Then I visit the domain lander and be surprised that it listed at different price
  4. Then I discover that there is an old listing (not by me) at Godaddy Auction with that price
  5. I try to add my domain to Godaddy Auction to override the old listing, I set TXT record to my "Godaddy auction verification ID".
Show attachment 231461

So there is no way to remove domains from Godaddy Auctions other than contacting support and waiting for more than a week for an answer.

@James Iles
@Joe Styler
I've just checked a few of my domains (around 5) and they show the correct price

Are you sure you are seeing them in the same currency?

•••
I've just checked a few of my domains (around 5) and they show the correct price

Are you sure you are seeing them in the same currency?

All my domains show correct price except few that are listed by someone else at GD Auctions.

•••

If you grow enough you'll be assigned an account manager that does this for you on a daily basis as needed (I have one).
I always email [email protected] with screenshot of the names at my registrar. It works, but it is quite a hassle.

Do you know how many listings or sales it takes to get an account manager?

•••
I always email [email protected] with screenshot of the names at my registrar. It works, but it is quite a hassle.

Do you know how many listings or sales it takes to get an account manager?
I have no idea where the threshold is. But I do have quite a lot.

Guess some 6-fig sales per year or so...

•••
Show attachment 231461

@James Iles
@Joe Styler

:xf.smile:

One of many reasons i setup all my domains at same price on Uni/Dan/Afternic

In the end your domain/domains will be on GD auction at price you set but only after time is end on auction on that specific domain

A auction on GD is around 75-80 days - if you listed the domain with new price on day 45 on GD auction only after 45 days price will update & new auction will start with price you set

•••

In the end your domain/domains will be on GD auction at price you set but only after time is end on auction on that specific domain

A auction on GD is around 75-80 days - if you listed the domain with new price on day 45 on GD auction only after 45 days price will update & new auction will start with price you set
90 days currently, from what I have observed. My Afternic rep also confirmed this.

•••

If you set your domain at same price lets say 2000 at Afternic/Dan/Uni

But there is an old listing by someone else at GD Auctions at 500

Guess what your ns5/ns6 landers will show 500 not 2000 it totally ignore Afternic/Dan.. I just discovered this recently by pure chance and I am in shock.

Also I guess the sale through landing page will go to the old seller.

Last edited:
•••

Problem is how to know which domains you have are already listed at GD Auctions?!

The only way is to use ns5/ns6 then visit each landing page one by once and see if prices are different than yours.

The other option is to search directly in GD auctions and check prices against yours one by one.

Imagine doing that on thousands of domains 🤮

This imo is another big loophole in GD/Afternic system.

Last edited:
•••
If you set your domain at same price lets say 2000 at Afternic/Dan/Uni

But there is an old listing by someone else at GD Auctions at 500

Guess what your ns5/ns6 landers will show 500 not 2000 it totally ignore Afternic/Dan.. I just discovered this recently by pure chance and I am in shock.

Also I guess the sale through landing page will go to the old seller.
By know this problems i decide to list names at same price in this way all names on GD auction eventualy will be corelate with price i setup
I dont use Afternic NS i use Uniregistry for me work better
I notice that anyway many buyers search a domain on GD field search dont type the name of domain

•••
By know this problems i decide to list names at same price in this way all names on GD auction eventualy will be corelate with price i setup
I dont use Afternic NS i use Uniregistry for me work better
I notice that anyway many buyers search a domain on GD field search dont type the name of domain

For NS5/NS6 landes GD auction listing shows instead of Afternic which is very strange!

The only thing to do is to contact Godaddy support to manually remove which I did and they removed the domain.. but they are slow reply in 3 to 7 days. Also this is headache to deal with for many domains.

Last edited:
•••
Show attachment 231461

@James Iles
@Joe Styler

Following on from our DM earler, I'd recommend emailing [email protected] for this one. There's a solution on the roadmap that will solve this, but I can't give a definitive ETA.

•••
We are in 2023
GD must make a lot of improvments
Hire people from domain name business
Add option push ( escrow accounts ) like have Dan or Sedo not only auth codes

•••
I have no idea where the threshold is. But I do have quite a lot.

Guess some 6-fig sales per year or so...

I think they assigned mine when I crossed 5000 names listed. Might have been a little sooner.

•••
I think they assigned mine when I crossed 5000 names listed. Might have been a little sooner.
I got one very late so I don't know exactly.

But they said it would have been sooner, however I'm in Europe and they didn't have EU-based reps at this time. I got a rep who is UK-based. Should they have asked, US-based would have been fine as I work mostly per US hours anyway.

•••

I don't have an AN rep, but I have a GoDaddy rep who does all of the things an AN rep can do for me, I think. I got one once I had 700 domains hosted at GoDaddy. I also have discount domain club and all of my domains parked at either AN or DAN.

I list buy now at DAN and AN. Make offer on Sedo and Godaddy. I list them in this order:
1. add txt files thru Godaddy 2. List at AN 3. List at DAN 4. Sedo 5. last is Godaddy so that it stays make offer.

I never have any of these issues that are being talked about so much since the fee changes came through. The only snag in the system is when already listed on AN since no txt record recognition. I email [email protected] tell them what I want deleted and they can see I own them, so no screen shot needed. I don't know if it's because they are in my GoDaddy account or they check Whois info.

The response has been much faster within the last year. I usually get the confirmation that they are ready for me to list in 1-3 days then I go back and add the listing to AN.

My prices are always what I set them at (or didn't if make offer) across all of the platforms where I listed.

I don't really care if someone lists them on other marketplaces, in fact I'd invite front runners to try to sell all of my domains if they can. As long as I'm getting the price I set them at, I don't care at all what goes on in the background.

•••
Piggybacking on a couple of comments here - I have a specific question to ask, and want to check the experience of fellow participants.

Does anyone list their names within Afternic with BIN and then manually enter them in Godaddy Auctions with "Make Offer". This way, the Afternic BIN price gets shown across the search path at GD and other registrars, while still allowing for Make Offer inside the GD auctions platform.

When I tried doing it (1 year ago) for a period of 3 months, I got regular offers on GD Auctions but the Afternic sales went to 0. Afternic sales recovered only after I had manually removed all my GD Auctions listings. Not sure its structural or co-incidental. Would be good to know if anyone does both and has stable activity across both channels.

Thanks in advance!

•••
Back