IT.COM

After 20+ years: Goodbye GoDaddy, hello Porkbun

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
After Godaddy raised the cost of the Discount Domain Club to 100%, I decided to move all my domains to Porkbun.
I spoke to their customer support, and try to convinced me to join the Basic Membership which is good for 49 domains, if you have more than that you have to pay full price for the rest domains you own.
He was also trying to convince me about the hassle I'll have transfering all my domains to another registrar.
After I hung up, I received an email from GoDaddy asking me how was their customer service, with a coupon for a 25% discount on my next purchase. :-P
I own around 150 domains, to pay $240 to have a discount which will end even a more expensive price than the one Porkbun is offering, after reserching to see if they are legit, today I transfered the first one.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
Sssshhh! No Need To Shout! Godaddy can do the math too.
The more popular a cheaper alternative gets the sooner it makes sense for a Big Daddy to buy them out.

Folks who get priced-out find the better deal. Folks who can afford Big Daddy prices just keep paying them...
until they hear that all the 'smart buyers' are going elsewhere... then, to be cool, they join the crowd.

When the Big Daddys' lose the Big Spenders to smaller ops... THEY BUY THEM OUT!!!

•••
After Godaddy raised the cost of the Discount Domain Club to 100%, I decided to move all my domains to Porkbun.
I spoke to their customer support, and try to convinced me to join the Basic Membership which is good for 49 domains, if you have more than that you have to pay full price for the rest domains you own.
The increased price of the domain discount club was a wonderful motivator for me to finally switch to a different registrar.
I own around 150 domains, to pay $240 to have a discount which will end even a more expensive price than the one Porkbun is offering, after reserching to see if they are legit, today I transfered the first one.
Congrats on being open to change! Porkbun does have some great pricing. What really also impresses me about them is their pricing transparency. You can easily find a listing of their pricing for registrations, transfers, and renewals.

That's a nice feature that hopefully all registrars will eventually provide up front.

Last edited:
•••
He was also trying to convince me about the hassle I'll have transfering all my domains to another registrar.
After I hung up, I received an email from GoDaddy asking me how was their customer service, with a coupon for a 25% discount on my next purchase. :-P

Renewals with discount domain club are $9.45, the price at Porkbun shows at $9.73. Are you getting different prices that make GoDaddy more expensive than Porkbun's .com price?

I'm still paying $119 for the discount domain club, and just renewed in January. Did you let your membership lapse? I know a few people still paying the grandfathered amount.

Still, at $0.28 difference, it would take 425 domains to break even. With the double DDC price, it would take 850 domains to break even. If I were paying the double ddc price, at 800 domains, it would be marginally better for me to switch until I hit 850 domains later this year.

I also have quite a few .orgs and there, Porkbun does beat Godaddy DDC by $1.27 ($11.99 - $10.72). I only have a handful of non-com or orgs and it looks like Porkbun beats GoDaddy DDC on many of them.

At my volume, it is essentially a wash. I've been lucky and I haven't had a single issue that GD hasn't resolved quickly in the 12 years I've been using them. The VIP Account Exec is a great and helpful bonus also.

Good luck with switch, let us know how it goes. I'm always curious to see what the grass looks like on the other side of the fence.

•••
I'm still paying $119 for the discount domain club, and just renewed in January. Did you let your membership lapse? I know a few people still paying the grandfathered amount.
The grandfathered amount, to my knowledge, was never offered to me. My recollection was that the discount club costs simply increased, and that was what you had to pay to continue with it.

If they wish to provide different prices for certain customers, perhaps Dynadot's feature might make sense. If someone spends over a certain amount per year with them, they get lower prices for the renewals at the "bulk" and "superbulk" levels.

Glad to hear that you have been happy with their service.

Last edited:
•••
•••
You must add $0.18 ICANN fee to this. At GoDaddy it's not included, at Porkbun it is.
Wow, you're sharp! Thanks for clarifying this. So, basically it's a 10-cents difference between the discount club vs. Porkbun in the previous example?

Last edited:
•••
Frankly, even though GD didn't do a good enough job and NC is just as much of a hassle to operate. But the bad experience in the past has deterred me from choosing a new registrar just to chase the slight cost difference. The registrar pretty much determines the fate of a domain name at certain critical moments, which is what makes me most afraid to try other registrars.

•••
Wow, you're sharp! Thanks for clarifying this. So, basically it's a 10-cents difference between the discount club vs. Porkbun in the previous example?
With Porkbun ACH prefunding it is $9.22 for .com, this is including ICANN fee. Even greater discounts can be found in the non-com scene (all other TLDs). It's about serious money. No paid discount membership is required to get these discounts.

Last edited:
•••
And the great thing about the Porkbun ACH discount program is that you set up your main (parent) account for regular usage (Paypal, credit cards etc) and then you set up a sub-account (you can have up to 10) strictly for ACH use. And you can easily push the names between accounts as needed.

So you get the best of both worlds: ACH pre-funding (as low as $10) and discounts when you need it and everyday pricing with normal funding, too.

Last edited:
•••
Other problems I had with Godaddy is that suddenly they renewed my DDC automatically, and I'm VERY SURE it wasn't set to auto-renew, that way they got me hooked for another 2 years (I renewed everything for 2 years to get like the DDC for $120.00 per year). But I had to advance the cost of the domains one year.
And of course, that way they got me hooked for another year.

Last edited:
•••
Other problems I had with Godaddy is that suddenly they renewed my DDC automatically, and I'm VERY SURE it wasn't set to auto-renew, that way they got me hooked for another 2 years (I renewed everything for 2 years to get like the DDC for $120.00 per year). But I had to advance the cost of the domains one year.
And of course, that way they got me hooked for another year.
Did you challenge the renewal charge with customer service? That seems like a charge that could easily be reversed.
You could also check with your credit card company first, to see what your rights are in this circumstance. I wish I had done so when I had a very painful issue with an auto-renew. Ultimately,concerns about GD's auto-renew policies, along with the much higher baseline registration fees, gave me a strong impetus to move virtually all of my domains away from them.

Last edited:
•••

This is me too. Been with Godaddy for almost 15 years. tbh, I never thought I'd leave. I'm willing to pay more to stay but their pricing has gone into the stratosphere and it's untenable now. Went to renew my domains just now and they wanted $14.99 per. That's pure insanity when PorkBun is at $10.37.

Yes, DDC can get it down, but two years ago they stopped comp'ing me the DDC and offered it to me at 50% off. Last year (and this year) there are no more discounts and the offer is now full price. If I buy their DDC at $240 p/yr I can get renewals down to $10.25 but when I amortize the $240 across my names that's still over $12 per name.

Obv if you have more names than me you can probably get it to even but you're going to need thousands. And my "rep" told me I'd be missing out on the Domain Academy (rofl!). Do they really think domainers with thousands of names actually need help from their Academy? I don't even know how they can say it with a straight face.

Since Porkbun is part of Afternic's fast transfer, that was the final push I needed to choose them. I do hope they are legit. I am concerned about this leaking of WhoIs info: https://www.namepros.com/threads/porkbun-leaking-whois-info.1316069/ I'll send a few names over to test them out before moving the bulk.

Anyone else having any issues with them?

•••
Back