Dynadot

After 1 year, I have to recalibrate my view

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Andreas B.

Top Member
Impact
So, starting one year ago with a little bit of domaining,
I travelled the same way as any one would (although I already sold dome domains since 2013):

1) .com's are gone, net's / org's are gone
2) you start getting 'creative'; means, trying to find some new tech buzzwords, you may combine with other important terms, and reg it as .com
Then, trying to reg typo (misspelled) domains; although act. almost no one needs them.
And doing some other stuff, that does not bring in any value at all.
3) Then, of course, focusing on alternative domain extensions. How can it be other.
(Worst is, when you try to unfold the same approach you use for searching .com domains, with alt. extensions.
Almost no one needs term1 + term2 . alt extension.)

During the last 12 months I sold 4 names, 2 of which I shared in the 'Report sold domains' thread (2 sold over afternic, 1 sedo, 1 private).

Today, I see some things different:

I let domains drop,
focusing now on (solely) really good term names in .com, .org, .net, .io, .co, and yes, why not, also .xyz, if free for reg (& as long as reg fee is low).

Also, .pro, .one, .online, .network, can be lucrative, if the term is really correctly spelled.

Goal is always, to sell to end-users, instead of other domainers.
This is where the $ come in.

So, investing into domains (end-user approach) is different then everyday-domaining (reseller appraoch).

Atm I am in negotiations with 2 potential buyers;
one of the domains in the 4 digit range.

Wish me luck ;)

Regards

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Wish me luck
I wish you, and all that read this, luck in selling a domain before the end of the year.

I've been at this game for many years and still learn things...your analytical approach will help you succeed.

In my case, I only consider end users with deep pockets when registering or finding existing domains to purchase.

•••
Reality is not so pretty as business plan =)
It's business: You should be ready to start from ZERO for 5-10 times.

Good Luck to all of us.

•••
•••
•••
We always Keep Learning new things every day.

Good Luck.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back