IT.COM

Advice catching GoDaddy drop

NameSilo
Watch

Rob_S

Established Member
Impact
For a GoDaddy registered domain that expires, best to use GoDaddy backorder or just go straight to DropCatch/SnapNames/NameJet?

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Near 100% chance it will go to Godaddy expired auction if it indeed expires. Do not waste your $$ on a backorder. You will have to monitor the name somehow.

•••
Near 100% chance it will go to Godaddy expired auction if it indeed expires. Do not waste your $$ on a backorder. You will have to monitor the name somehow.
But if somebody else backorders it and they’re the only one, they’ll get it, won’t they? That’s what concerns me.

•••
Cover your bases and backorder it at Snap/NameJet/DropCatch too. You only pay for the backorder if it gets caught for you. Of course there's always the chance that someone else backordered it at the same time, whereby then it'll go to auction.

•••
You can buy it when it hits the bargain bin or if we are beyond that point request it at DropCatch where your chances are higher at that point. Worst thing you can do with a name you want is to bid thereby inviting the bots to outbid you at GoDaddy. Saavy investors wait til its $50 or less in the bargain bin. JMO.

Last edited:
•••
Bargain bin? I thought it goes from auction to open for public hand registration?

•••
Bargain bin? I thought it goes from auction to open for public hand registration?
Yeah, I was curious about that reply too. I as I understand it, the Bargain Bin is just a NP feature, not a GD one. But, maybe some know more about GD expired drops than others.

•••
Drop: This is what happens after a 5 day pending delete period

Expired auction: This is what happens after a certain time (depending on registrar) after the domain expires. If no buyers / renewals, it goes into the redemption period followed by the pending delete period.

If you see a GoDaddy name that expired you must monitor the godaddy auctions.

DropCatch SnapNames / NameJet will help you get a name that drops.

You cannot backorder at DropCatch unless the name is already in the pending delete.

SnapNames and NJ are one of the same now for drop catching. If you backorder on one you are good. You could backorder a name there anytime.

When the name does hit the GoDaddy auctions, do not be quick to bid or you will wake up a lot of people. I also suggest the GoDaddy investor app.

•••
It depends on the extension, not all go to exp auctions

•••
Thanks all. I’ll set up DropCatch and SnapNames or NameJet, and watch for the auction.

•••
Hey, I'm in a similar situation.
There is a .com domain, which has expired recently. It's registered with godaddy. I wanted to backorder it. When it was still live, godaddy didn't let it to be placed to the backorder watch list. But the strange is that after the expiration the situation is the same. So as of now I can't backorder it at least using godaddy. The customer service wasn't able to tell what's the reason behind this...

Now I don't really know using only Dropcatch would be the best to backorder the domain or try godaddy again in some days and/or monitor the auctions.

•••
Hey, I'm in a similar situation.
There is a .com domain, which has expired recently. It's registered with godaddy. I wanted to backorder it. When it was still live, godaddy didn't let it to be placed to the backorder watch list. But the strange is that after the expiration the situation is the same. So as of now I can't backorder it at least using godaddy. The customer service wasn't able to tell what's the reason behind this...

Now I don't really know using only Dropcatch would be the best to backorder the domain or try godaddy again in some days and/or monitor the auctions.
it will end up on expired auctions probably so check there because if it's a good name it will never make it to the drop

•••
it will end up on expired auctions probably so check there because if it's a good name it will never make it to the drop
thanks, will do that!

•••

He must've meant GoDaddy Closeouts, that's the natural progression when there are no expired auction bids.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back