IT.COM

question Accurate traffic stats for dropped domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Blues Brother

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone, I've been looking at dropped domains on various websites but I have a problem. I find the traffic figures stated on the drop websites aren't very accurate. For instance, when I plugged one dropped domain into Similar Web and Ahrefs/UberSuggest, there's huge differences in traffic. One drop website said the domain had 1823 visits a month, but Similar Web and Uber Suggest said the domain actually has 0 traffic/month.

When you look at dropped domains, how do you analyze the type in/organic traffic? Is there a reliable website that accurately shows the traffic stats? Or do you manually type in the domain into similarweb, estibot, or ahrefs?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is no tool that can give accurate (or even near accurate) traffic metrics for domains that you don't own.

Even with the domains you own and might have parked, each parking service will show you a different number when it comes to traffic measurement. If that number varies, can you imagine how that number might vary for domains you *don't* own?

If you want such domains, you need to slowly gather experience first to be able to spot them and then also gather experience to learn how to fight for them since the competition is wild.

One more thing,
if you base your strategy on public tools' numbers, you need to be aware that others will also do the same. Trying to get domains eg. via SW will have you bidding on dozens of auctions every day since such domains always end up being auctioned.

•••
If that number varies, can you imagine how that number might vary for domains you *don't* own?
Hi

Great point, to point out!

imo...

•••
I'am using Alexa Traffic Rank + Similar Web + Ahrefs
for my opinion Alexa help me to know - where domain name have zero Alexa Rating or N/A this domain name without traffic

•••
There is no tool that can give accurate (or even near accurate) traffic metrics for domains that you don't own.
Thanks for the reply Hypersot. So should I save my money and not use Ahrefs for traffic verification on domains that I don't own? Should I just use SimilarWeb (free)? Thanks.

•••
@Blues Brother ,
just to be clear, I'm not in favour of one tool over another, I'm only trying to point out that

a. there is no accurate tool when it comes to traffic measurement

b. whatever public tool you use there will be many others that will do the same, ie. you'll be facing extreme competition. Competition means that, every domain you want will have its final cost set to the max it can be which in turn means lower profit.

As I mentioned earlier, what you need is experience; experience in how to find the best domain with the lower cost/higher profit and also experience to know when to fight over a domain and when to leave it to the competition.

Note, I assume you are looking for traffic domains to park them, am I right?

•••
just compare their backlinks, the estimated traffic, and the history of the usage using the archive

and then decide if it is worth it or not for the current price.

never place bid based on traffic numbers only.

•••
should I save my money
Hi

if, you're a beginner, then it's best to stick with what's free to use.

use the cash for domain renewals/purchases instead.

imo...

•••
My favorite metric is Domain Authority (DA) and of course it's one of the most commonly used.
I agree that also Alexa is a good metric (and I hope will not be definitely discontinue).

So the key point is not to find a good traffic stats but not paying too much for the domain acquisition.
IMO 3-4 figures domains are overpriced. May be 5 figures are underestimated due to less competition.

•••
How are you guys using Alexa Traffic rank when it's been retired since May 1, 2022? Do you mean the tools you use still use Alexa? If so, probably old data.

End of Service Notice​

We retired Alexa.com on May 1, 2022, after more than two decades of helping you find, reach, and convert your digital audience. Thank you for making us your go-to resource for content research, competitive analysis, keyword research, and so much more.

https://www.alexa.com/

•••
How are you guys using Alexa Traffic rank when it's been retired since May 1, 2022? Do you mean the tools you use still use Alexa? If so, probably old data.
Yes, Alexa rank available should be related to 15 Dec 2022 that is the last day of their API :xf.frown:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back