Dynadot

advice Accept the offer. Your domain is sh*t.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
I've noticed many people complaining about receiving "low-ball" offers around hurrrrr. Stop drinking the Kool-Aid and sell the damn domain.

Your domain is not going to allow you to retire even if you hold it for 20 more years and it is certainly not needed to run a successful business. Stop being stubborn.

Stop listening to appraisals too.

The only meaningful appraisal comes from all those buyers purposefully pissing you off with all those "low-ball" offers. The truth is that the market is made by buyers. They offer what it's worth to them and don't really care about those warm fuzzy feelings the domain gives you.

To me it's as silly as company complaining about their investors because the stock price is so low.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Four best things to do if you don't like the offer you receive:

• Sit back and wait for a better offer if you can afford to do so
  • Outbound sales to get a better sale price
  • Take the offer you got and buy a better domain that will get a higher sale price
  • Build out the site to something that will make money or make you happy
Complaining won't help. The other thing everyone that has knowledge of domains and why they are valuable needs to do is to educate and create awareness around the value.

Old heads back in the day could buy acres of prime San Diego Real Estate for .00001 what they cost today. Awareness, time and understanding help create the value.

In case anyone is confused this isn't a "get rich quick" industry. But with the right work and/or smart choices you can do very well.

•••
I agree to an extent. If it's a mediocre domain and if it's a decent ROI, sell. If it's an obviously good name that will always get some type of bids in an aftermarket auction, hold. This industry is going to get more and more competitive as years go by and every year that passes that matures an industry (cannabis, vr) and every startup and successful brand that adopts a domain with a suffix/prefix similar to what you own is going to increase the value of your names and make them more desirable.

But again, if the name is uniquely valuable to only 1 person that made you an offer, like "RedSquad.com" or something like that, sell it.

Last edited:
•••
But again, if the name is uniquely valuable to only 1 person that made you an offer, like "RedSquad.com" or something like that, sell it.

if that 1 person badly needs it
and has the funds

then don't accept the first offer

- actually never accept the first offer
it will never be the best offer-

•••
•••
•••
if that 1 person badly needs it
and has the funds

then don't accept the first offer

- actually never accept the first offer
it will never be the best offer-

I agree to never accept the first offer because you can risk the buyer thinking they offered too much. But if you go back and forth trying to squeeze out more money from an already reasonable ROI, you're pretty much just gambling with your money.

Last edited:
•••
Don't buy shit domains, and you'll still get low-ball offers.

Pricing domains is difficult. Knowing which domains will sell is difficult.
This generic advice about taking the offer because "your domain is shit" barely helps anyone.

Last edited:
•••
I think that depends on the number of leads you can generate. And the number of leads depends on market demand and your skills to find those people.

If you are master of finding leads and you only find 1 buyer offering you 5$, your domain is sh*t indeed.
But if you get 20 leads for 5$ each while doing very little, that's clearly low balling.

•••
The buyer's financial position should never be a pricing consideration.
Real property is priced on potential, location. Digital property should be the same.

This concept is taking shape with shorts, numbers, keywords, category killers, niche, etc.
and for the most part the rest is maybe not crap but not likely to have great revenue potential/value.

"Name" just doesn't have the same cultural mindset value "Property" with revenue potential has.

A lot of decent to great sales involve holding a domain for 5-10 years and the sellers ability to negotiate.
Most people no matter what industry just don't have sales and negotiation ability but are quite good at trading within.
To each his own with that in mind.

If you want to sell domains in the 5+figure category be prepared to demonstrate the revenue/cost value to the buyer and be
willing to walk away and wait.
Otherwise accept "Wholesale" trading as your niche and take the first offer and low ball offers as part of the game.
Happy Hunting !

•••
I bought a freehold garage some years ago for £1,000. It's currently worth around £30,000 - should I sell it for £2,000 and double my money?

Domain names are the real estate of the Internet. It's time they were treated as such.

•••
•••
Most domains go to basically personal websites. So people aren't willing to shell out a lot of money for them.

And a small business starting up will find a way to avoid paying for a domain name if they are set on saving costs and it's not that hard.

•••
New "startups" often pick some awful available .com like Radiooooo and Travelllll .com (true sites)

It may looks like a good idea to spent $1 to $10 for a domain name but this automatically kills the credibility of your brand.

•••
Just gotta throw in my 2 pennies-

If you receive an offer 10x higher than what you would normally counter, accept the offer.
I am $10,000 richer because I said yes to an offer that was 10x what I would have ever countered... did I leave money on the table? I have no idea, but I do know that I did NOT leave $10,000 on the table...

Countering too quickly may chase off an occasional buyer, but countering too high over and over is just stupid, especially when you receive solid initial offers. jmho. Close the deal and move on.

Last edited:
•••
Just gotta throw in my 2 pennies-

If you receive an offer 10x higher than what you would normally counter, accept the offer.
I am $10,000 richer because I said yes to an offer that was 10x what I would have ever countered... did I leave money on the table? I have no idea, but I do know that I did NOT leave $10,000 on the table...

Countering too quickly may chase off an occasional buyer, but countering too high over and over is just stupid, especially when you receive solid initial offers. jmho. Close the deal and move on.

Congrats and great decision!

Hey, it is not over yet. You made $10,000 reinvest it smartly and you will make another $10,000 and probably more!

Sell, buy, repeat!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back