Dynadot

question About Trademark ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mahdi313

Impact
Hello friends,

I have registered a domain belonging to a trademark and the company that owns the trademark is asking me to return the domain, my question is do I have the right to ask them for just the Registration fee for a domain or not
which is about just 1,21 $ ?

Thank you

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can ask, but you might not like the answer. Ask yourself, is it worth possibility of them filing a lawsuit?

If you just registered the domain, some registrars have a cancellation / refund period. You might be able to get your money back that way.

•••
You are right, logical words, but I did not demand the registration fees, but when I wanted to transfer the domain to them via PUSH, there is a condition set by the registrar that I must set a price for the domain transfer

and this amount must be paid by the one who will receive the domain, then I put the registration of the domain fees only, but the trademark owner refused to pay this simple amount and refused to accept the domain,
it's funny, anyway Thank you for the answer.

•••
You are right, logical words, but I did not demand the registration fees, but when I wanted to transfer the domain to them via PUSH, there is a condition set by the registrar that I must set a price for the domain transfer

and this amount must be paid by the one who will receive the domain, then I put the registration of the domain fees only, but the trademark owner refused to pay this simple amount and refused to accept the domain,

It's depend on how you used the domain. If you are parking it and the ads shown rival products, or they can proof you had proffited from the domain, it's better to hand in the domain as soon as possible. Why? Because they can sue you with damage and you will owe to pay them thousands of $ till millions of $, depends the damage in their perception.

•••
It's depend on how you used the domain. If you are parking it and the ads shown rival products, or they can proof you had proffited from the domain, it's better to hand in the domain as soon as possible. Why? Because they can sue you with damage and you will owe to pay them thousands of $ till millions of $, depends the damage in their perception.
Thank you my friend, yes i know that using a trademark domain in parking or even offering it for sale, i am still new but i have learned.

•••

Did you finally sell it? What was the price they agreed finally?

•••
Sounds to me like you've misread their request. I doubt they wanted you to return the domain to the Company but meant cancel the domain (returning it to the Registry) I can't see them asking for a domain they didn't previously own or want.

So No they don't want it on their books, And they don't want you using it either. If you can't get it Cancelled - just delete the name servers - so it doesn't resolve, that should satisfy them. Don't renew it.

Last edited:
•••
$1.21 is a cheap lesson if you ask me. Hope you did the right thing, if it was serious

•••
$1.21? Wow, may I ask what's the domain?

•••
Hello friends,

I have registered a domain belonging to a trademark and the company that owns the trademark is asking me to return the domain, my question is do I have the right to ask them for just the Registration fee for a domain or not
which is about just 1,21 $ ?

Thank you
More importantly, did you register the domain name BEFORE they filed for the trademark?

If so, then there wouldn't have been any way for you to know that they were going to file for a trademark, so you would be able to keep the domain.

A lot of companies out there will register a trademark and think that automatically entitles them to the domain name, which is not true.

•••
$1.21? Wow, may I ask what's the domain?
I reckon it's going to be either the Company trademark name in a ccTLD or Mickey-Mouse extension, First year cheapo Or a TLD with a word added to the TM name again first year cheapo registration. Can't seeing it being anything else seeing the OP has stated he/she is in the wrong.

Newbies should remember so many major companies have TM protection services working for them, they don't even need to do the searching themselves,

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back