Dynadot

About to test my idea on flipping .xyz - Seeking advice.

NameSilo
Watch
Hi all,

Over the past two weeks, I've seen quite a few discussions about this potential with .xyz being a unique opportunity.

So, I have about $1,000 I can invest into this, but before I jump in blindly & foolishly, I would like to get some of the community's wisdom. There's a ton of posts in this forum, but it gets overwhelming trying to read/sift through it all, so I'm hoping there's a few of you out there that could give some input.

I have done some research on my end and I found quite a few one to two-word .xyz available that are relevant/makes sense, but more important I found it's .com companion to have recently sold within the last two weeks.

So, is it realistic for me to purchase this domain & flip it for a quick profit within a week?
Here's an example (all made up data): exampledomain.com sold last week for $1,500, so would I be able to sell exampledomain.xyz for like $500 and could anticipate that get sold within 7-10 days?

Obviously, this is speculation to a point, but hoping some of you out there have some first-hand experience in this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

basically, the short answer is no!

your expectations are too high given the time period allotted,
because of the unknown quality variable in/of the names you acquire.

imo...

•••
Be careful... 🛑
What works for others will not necessarily work for you.

You're more likely to see results by buying what YOU can sell than trying to emulate others' success.
You will feel like you have control over your investment, unlike the Pay & Pray method. 💸

In order to flip domains on a consistent basis in such a short period of time, you need to find the right buyer at the right time in multiple occasions. Even with the inventory being in your favour, you would need a lot of luck to see results.

Also keep in mind that there's no guarantee at all that they will be interested in acquiring the .xyz version of their domain.

Last edited:
•••
DON'T DO IT. I feel that you are about to buy hundreds of absolutely useless xyz domains which you won't sell, you'll drop them all at the next renewal, because you won't be able to afford renewal fees.

There is absolutely no relevancy or consistency pattern between com and xyz sales. You can't check the latest sales at NameBio, copy/paste, check the xyz extension and buy the free ones - a big waste of money.

My advice: if you really want to jump onto xyz train, go for words that are:
1) taken at least in 50 extensions (dotdb.com)
2) are related to crypto, nft, coins, meta or can be used as good brandables for that projects.
There are more conditions imo, but these are the two I can share.

Anything shorter than this - almost no chance you'll sell it this year, then be ready to hold on to it for 2-5 years (that's if the xyz bubble will not burst, which is a possibility as well).

Good luck!

Last edited:
•••
I agree with what has already been said. Take a dive into "XYZ", as a speculative bet, if you want to. A strong / relevant word (not two words). IMO

•••
DON'T DO IT. I feel that you are about to buy hundreds of absolutely useless xyz domains which you won't sell, you'll drop them all at the next renewal, because you won't be able to afford renewal fees.

There is absolutely no relevancy or consistency pattern between com and xyz sales. You can't check the latest sales at NameBio, copy/paste, check the xyz extension and buy the free ones - a big waste of money.

2) are related to crypto, nft, coins, meta or can be used as good brandables for that projects.

Anything shorter than this - almost no chance you'll sell it this year, then be ready to hold on to it for 2-5 years (that's if the xyz bubble will not burst, which is a possibility as well).

Good luck!
Appreciate the feedback!

I have not acquired any .xyz right at this moment.

•••
Here's an example (all made up data): exampledomain.com sold last week for $1,500, so would I be able to sell exampledomain.xyz for like $500 and could anticipate that get sold within 7-10 days?

Here's a made up answer: yes.

Just spend $10 on 10 XYZs and try to sell for $99 each within a week. You'll see what the .XYZ market is really like away from all the hype threads, and you may get lucky selling to other domainers with FOMO.

•••
Find the thread about Lopez and his 20,000 xyz experiment.
If he had only hodl.lol

•••
dawt-x-y-z is an opportunity for only those who can sell it in volumes more than 200+ per year.. To get that, you need to have 50,000 domains, at renewal cost exceeding .com, or .co..., In short, if you can convert 0.5% of your portfolio, go ahead and invest heavily... But, xyz has been roaming in markets atleast a good 7 years..

•••
I am not saying x-y-z is bad, or asking anyone not to buy.

I am merely writing to all of them not to be fooled by the folly of registry's marketing tatics, by pricing domains as low as 1-2 dollars, etc...., Its tempting to buy, but aren't you wasting time doing this....

2022, and you are a laggard..............
All early adopters spent all money to build a moat, and now you are left with nothing but scraps!

•••
I don't think there is a magic formula really.

Only a handful of people are doing extremely well with .XYZ.

It is just a numbers game. If you have thousands of high quality terms, some are going to sell.
This is true with most decent extensions.

You can find relatively high quality .XYZ domains on NamePros and other places for not all that much, but it is not really an extension with high re-sale value outside the best of the best terms.

It also appears to receive far more interest in certain niches than with the public in general.

If a .COM only sold for $1,500 the .XYZ is likely not even worth owning honestly. The vast majority of strong .XYZ sales would sell for six or seven figures in .COM.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Xyz domains are useless.. please don't waste your money. I did the same mistake 😢

•••
Very skeptical of the extension long term. Unless you have connections not worth the risk

•••
Someone here has a monopoly over premium XYZ domains.

Not worth spending $1000.

•••

Good luck!
Agree with all of this.
My only addition to this advice. Bump that 50 TLDs to 100 to be on the safer side, unless it is an extremely trending and relevant niche. eg: When I hand regged M3ta.xyz, it was taken in around 30 TLDs (I forgot but it was low), now it is taken in 255, so you see where I am going when I say, unless it is trending, early and so on, ANd in the Crypto Niche.. Web3,, Gaming, DAO, etc

Second thing regarding your theory, as Brad Mentioned as well, a .com that sells for under 5000 will not likely sell in any other TLD except maybe a very country specific TLD like .co.uk or .com.au or .de

SO if you are going to pull up .com sales, make sure it is a name that will fetch 6 figures in .com
I said "will fetch" because namebio shows many 4 figure .com sales from Auctions as well, which are domain investor buys. But again, find a good use case for crypto before pulling the trigger

Last edited:
•••
betbox.Pro
gamebet.pro
betens.xyz
mallbet.xyz
betshow.xyz
betmall.xyz
cardbet.xyz
wealthbet.xyz
SVIPbet.xyz
sosobet.xyz
tokenbet.xyz
bidbet.xyz
all on dan
Take a dive into "XYZ", as a speculative bet, if you want to.
So, is it realistic for me to purchase this domain & flip it for a quick profit within a week?

•••
I would suggest that you keep your expectations much lower if you're going to try this experiment.

I would start with 10 or 20 domains (like an above poster mentioned) and just try to double or triple your money from those. Do your research, though. Certain types of terms are going to be a lot more likely to sell than others, and you should be able to get a sense of those by studying past sales.

Frankly, I think it'll end up being a lot of time and effort for very little reward... And honestly, you can probably still achieve the same (or better) results by flipping .com names.

•••
if i was in your shoes i wouldn't invest in an extension that has premium renewals just on principle

•••
Back