IT.COM

About Strong Possibility of Google Killing URLs, little doubt making domain values drop greatly

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
A recent Wired.com article does not give clues about what Google has in mind and implies G is working on it. I can guess based on what I would do if I was making a decision to kill url's, a very effective way to kill the URL would be to only only use search to go to a site and eliminate the address bar window from Chrome, imo.

So you do a google search for a product, service, word(s) or business you are looking for and you see a relevant list ranked by G based on how well the sites rank in the search index. For example, say you are looking for diabetes information. When you type-in the word diabetes you would see diabetes.org the website of The American Diabetes Assn ranked #1 and ahead of diabetes.com (which is only a drug company sales site) so it should not rank well compared to the large well known Diabetes.org site.

If G implements the above I see it in effect eliminating URLS (except urls which are developed websites and rank well in the search index) and domain values would I am fairly sure drop greatly to low levels near reg fee for many names regardless of extension. In fact if that seems likely to happen you may consider allowing most of your domains to expire soon and concentrating on developing your best domains. The possible scenario could basically destroy the domain business. In fact, I predict it would.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's interesting how this important issue and thread has received no posts or feedback so far. Especially in view of the Wired.com article https://www.wired.com/story/google-wants-to-kill-the-url/ sounding like G killing the Domain URL is a likely event G is actively looking at now, which I am sure would decimate most all domain name values in all extensions, including dot-com.

Only quality websites (and their domain name) with good SEO work and high search index rankings would manage to survive as far as traffic and domain value goes, imo. Overall domain values, direct navigation traffic and PPC (which has been in ongoing steep declines for several years) would little doubt drop greatly.

This is a big red flag which sadly should make you at least think about trimming your portfolio size a lot (as I am actively doing with lots of non-renewal settings and drops), and cutting way back on buying and registering new domains. It seems to me the market would get mostly destroyed if G does kill the URL as anticipated. What's your opinion on this?

•••
•••
let them be paranoid
then i can buy hotels.com for 1000$ soon
lol

on a more serious note.. I am open minded enough to believe big changes are coming indeed.. because nothing stays around forever.. espacially in technology.. heck, weird as it may sound, I will dare say that I hope things will evolve and progress and not stay same forever.. :)

that being said, I also believe very few people on namepros, if any, may have the chance to witness those changes in their lifetime.

so unless you are working to make digital estates and wills with your domain assets... and thinking generations ahead with your domains.. you know.. children.. grand children.. etc... then I would not be concerned about any of this.. this... highly speculative and hyphothetical subject for now.. that even the chrome engineers have no clear vision of yet.. let alone folk like us.

•••
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back