Dynadot

Abnormal traffic from Russia on xyz domains SEDO parking

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

antonio72

Established Member
Impact
Hi, l've parked some domains on SEDO to test their stats. Never seen Russia before in the graph, but suddenly since several days that traffic from Russia (according to the stats) is exploding and taking 60% of the whole traffic. Noticed that this traffic is mainly targeted on .xyz domain names. 2\3 visits a day on several .xyz domain have become 30, 40, 50... that is not feasible since those domains are not indexed on google. Is there a way to filter that traffic so to have realistic stats?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi, l've parked some domains on SEDO to test their stats. Never seen Russia before in the graph, but suddenly since several days that traffic from Russia (according to the stats) is exploding and taking 60% of the whole traffic. Noticed that this traffic is mainly targeted on .xyz domain names. 2\3 visits a day on several .xyz domain have become 30, 40, 50... that is not feasible since those domains are not indexed on google. Is there a way to filter that traffic so to have realistic stats
I never understood this pattern of high traffic from Russia on Sedo. Presumably there are bots that are involved. The pattern was intense until the war with Russia and Ukraine began. After that, the traffic from Russia seemed to decrease.
Admittedly, that was almost a year ago on Sedo. After months of seeing the high traffic stats but lack of significant sales or ad revenue, I moved the domain parking elsewhere anyhow. Which is a shame, given that it really appears to be a good domain marketplace. They do have some curious traffic patterns.
And please note, that I'm fine with any country browsing listings. The point was that for one country to have such high traffic but no sales seemed unusual. Perhaps their bots were monitoring for price changes?

Last edited:
•••
I never understood this pattern of high traffic from Russia on Sedo. Presumably there are bots that are involved. The pattern was intense until the war with Russia and Ukraine began. After that, the traffic from Russia seemed to decrease.
Admittedly, that was almost a year ago on Sedo. After months of seeing the high traffic stats but lack of significant sales or ad revenue, I moved the domain parking elsewhere anyhow. Which is a shame, given that it really appears to be a good domain marketplace. They do have some curious traffic patterns.
At the moment its impact is very strong... Experienced the same on Bodis, lots of visits but no clicks, so l moved to Sedo, it could be the same DDNS attack, in my case 90% directed towards .xyz tlds, because they've all added in the last few days a zero to their normal visit rates... from 3 to 30,40... I wanted to use these parking services to get some data, but l see it's very difficult to turn them into a useful information on domains demand. I don''t know if analytics is immune from these attacks, but maybe their algorithm reacts in real time to abnormal exceptions.

•••
At the moment its impact is very strong... Experienced the same on Bodis, lots of visits but no clicks, so l moved to Sedo, it could be the same DDNS attack, in my case 90% directed towards .xyz tlds, because they've all added in the last few days a zero to their normal visit rates... from 3 to 30,40... I wanted to use these parking services to get some data, but l see it's very difficult to turn them into a useful information on domains demand. I don''t know if analytics is immune from these attacks, but maybe their algorithm reacts in real time to abnormal exceptions.
Did you contact customer service? In previous posts on this forum, the issue of bots and stats have been discussed, especially regarding Sedo. My understanding is that they were working to try toremove the Bot traffic from the stats. They probably would be concerned about any DDNS attack attempt.

•••
bots. I recommend delisting those from Sedo parking.

They banned my account for that. I had no clue my xyz names would be that bad.

•••

Did you contact customer service? In previous posts on this forum, the issue of bots and stats have been discussed, especially regarding Sedo. My understanding is that they were working to try toremove the Bot traffic from the stats. They probably would be concerned about any DDNS attack attempt.
No, l haven't, but l'll write down an e-mail in case they didn't notice this flow (I own several xyz, but l see this thing for the first time, parked them in the past without any problem) Ps l notice that Dynadot also is recently often in maintenance mode and namecheap may timeout whilst performing a domain name search... This could be all connected soft denial of services due to this abnormal traffic. It's curious it's just on .xyz... other extensions seems not to be inflated.

Last edited:
•••

Thanks for the advice, l would... I've parked them to get some stats, but if stats are falsed by these bots or attacs they can be misleading. I've registered most of them with dynadot, but l see a strange check before the offer page is shown... and it seems google doesn't like that "javascript must be enabled' or something similar meta description. Did you delist from Sedo leaving just the entry in their DB without using their NS? Tx

•••
Did you delist from Sedo leaving just the entry in their DB without using their NS? Tx
For myself, I removed the parkiing pages, and kept some listings there. There was one domain that I did return for parking recently, which has decent traffic with a normal international pattern (Russia only 6% of traffic).

•••
huge increase of traffic from there, I suspect a company there lost access to web data from a provider and they are building their own system and have to go spider things.

•••
Sedo always had issues with filtering out bot traffic from stats, most notably on forsale landers. Moreover, why would a human from Russia type xyz... not .ru and not any classic tld. So, yes, this bot traffic exists, it would not actually disappear should parking company be changed. Another parking company may have more advanced stats filtering though.

•••
huge increase of traffic from there, I suspect a company there lost access to web data from a provider and they are building their own system and have to go spider things.
While I doubt it would make a difference, but I'm curious if you tried seeing if there was any difference using their new nameservers compared to the old. The old ones were: ns1/2.Sedoparking.com, with the new ones SL1/2.Sedo.com.

•••
While I doubt it would make a difference, but I'm curious if you tried seeing if there was any difference using their new nameservers compared to the old. The old ones were: ns1/2.Sedoparking.com, with the new ones SL1/2.Sedo.com.
these bots visit domains, it doesn't matter what nameservers you use.

•••
•••
@LoveCatchyDomains Yes, it could certainly make a difference, because those new nameservers point to completely new Sedo infrastructure in the background. On this new platform, another way of filtering bots could be present. Not sure if the new implementation has indeed other filtering, but this is how it works technically.

Last edited:
•••
Bots can be from anywhere. The mere fact that you see russia, does not necessarily mean from russia. Country of origin are, in most cases, spoofed. That's the reality.

•••
Yep..use old NS
ns1/2.Sedoparking.com
For all domains i say

•••
Yep..use old NS
ns1/2.Sedoparking.com
For all domains i say
Yes, it could certainly make a difference, because those new nameservers point to completely new Sedo infrastructure in the background. On this new platform, another way of filtering bots could be present. Not sure if the new implementation has indeed other filtering, but this is how it works technically.
Ok, so clearly two different opinions here. Has anyone had a better experience with the sl1/2? Or are they aware of any very significant benefits of the new nameservers for removing the Bot traffic? I noticed that since implementing the sl1/2, the traffic listed as coming from Russia went down from about 6% to the 2% range.

•••
Ok, so clearly two different opinions here. Has anyone had a better experience with the sl1/2? Or are they aware of any very significant benefits of the new nameservers for removing the Bot traffic? I noticed that since implementing the sl1/2, the traffic listed as coming from Russia went down from about 6% to the 2% range.
I've sent an e-mail days ago to signal this 65% sudden increase to their security@ but not yet given an answer on how to procede. In the meantime l've set up different dns following @twiki advice.

•••
One caveat here:

If traffic increased from Russia (or its underlying spoofing location) AND sales were happening from there, we'd all probably be fine with that! We are equal opportunity sellers!

Sounds like you're on top of the issues. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
•••
Back