Dynadot

advice A traveler entered into the domain horizon

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lex404

Established Member
Impact
Hi there, firstly I'll say few words about me.
I quit my job& Studies last year to travel overland from Europe to Australia. Slow, without to hurry and without a fixed direction for short time (like, i don't know where I'll be in two months but in a few years I'll arrive in AU :xf.grin:). Because I don't have exact plans, currently I'm in Lebanon and waiting to get back to Turkey or Georgia.

Good. I have a domain which I use it (for now) for my blog, but it's long, 2 words and it has a hyphen. Andit doesn't fit the plan entirely.

So, last week I started to look for a new domain, for me. And I was searching, days. That kind of frustration that anything is taken! And more that that, anything is taken and unused! To be honest, I wanted to contact the owners and beg for them :)) But I didn't. I don't like to beg.

Then this week, I don't remember how, I saw AirlinePort.com is free and I said oh, I should take it maybe I could sell it. Okay, I don't know if it's good, yet. Maybe just in case of someone is searching for it or, I apply enough marketing.

Then I started to search for a marketplace, in my mind was only eBay at that time. I've discovered Sedo and Flippa and I let eBay for trolling (see TRUMPeniSTAN.com :whistle::xf.grin:)
And since then I'm reading. Mostly anything about. After few days I registered here too (today)
Well, there are things which I still can't understand exactly, and more to come.

I'm doing this because while traveling I have some expenses, some of them really huge (like, I need ~1000$ for visas this year and I have to change my laptop, + my insurance, damn, enough crying) and no one is supporting me in that, well, was my decision so I have to live with that :)

So those days I've started to dig the internet about this. I've ended with some Ibuprofenum for headache, coffee and some domains.

The worst moment was when I was waiting "the list" of expired domains to catch something aaaand, I wasn't fast enough.
But that was a .info domain. Pretty good. Guess what, I got the .net one in the same day after someone told be "Man, do those asian girls took your eyes? .net is available!"

Also I was reading here about PayPal scams. So, I went to my PP (business acc since 2013, but I didn't had any big transaction) and added to the invoice conditions helpful things I've read here.

What I'm trying:
  • Look only at .com/.net for now, but I have a nice .org too.
  • Do not spend too much, as I don't have too much. Thank's to this forum, I registered today domains for 4.99 and 1 (that one took 4h to reg, and proof of adress)
  • I will try to reduce the time spending looking for domains, I need a break. Now it's time to entirely read theory
  • Build a way to work. Making a database for me about the (small amount of) domains I have, but one which can be extended for the future. To include mostly anything regarding costs and final prices
What I do not understand yet very well
  1. There is a #TransferLock for every new domain registered or transfered (or contact details changed) of 60 days. Is this lock applied also for intra-Registrar (I saw on NameCheap terms that for changing the owner to another NC account I don't have to wait, but I'm still unsure about others)
  2. After how much time I can sell a domain? I'm not hurrying but I'm curious
  3. Which Marketplace (Sedo/Flippa/Here) is better?
  4. How can I estimate the value of a domain? I was searching on FreeValuator and Estibot but sometimes they're completely far from each other
  5. Can I do that if I'm not all time online (or not online enough, not able to search for domains, catch drops, etc)? I was thinking to reserve a few days/ month for buying domains. Well, I can't stay all the time searching for them :D Most of the time I'm online on phone, so in case of a sale I can answer/ manage the things via mobile.
  6. Which other gTLD worth (alongside with .com/ .net/ .org)
What Domains I have :zippermouth: Don't throw stones, that happened after 1-week of brainstorming and involving all Saints and touching the Buddha Statue I got from SriLanka during my exit from Lebanon because I overstayed my visa with one month :))

VR32K.com (FV: 1800/ EB:0 )
OmniusVR.com (FV: 1875/ EB:0 ) I love this one :xf.love:
CompUser.net (FV: 938/ EB: 130 )
BestUp.org (FV: 923/ EB: 75 )
AirlinePort.com (FV: 230/ EB: 65 ) that was the first one
TRUMPeniSTAN.com :troll: That's on eBay, would be weirdo if I will sell it lol. Kinda trolling but who knows, it has a nice description :troll:

FV= FreeValuator / EB=Estibot.
Both of them are quite expensive and they don't offer one-month subscription. What a shame... and in some case there is a 100% difference.
Sometimes I also use Sedo for appraisal, as a curiosity

Okay, so I have 5 domains (+ one which I don't count :troll:) which I hope I can sell in the next following..5-6 months? At least 3 of them in that time.

Things what happened:
NameCheap gave an error with new domains available and I had 3 in cart. Paid with PP from CC so my money are now somewhere between PP and CC.
Got 1$ domain thanks to this forum :) But I had to wait 4 hours, send proof of address and contact them on Twitter (after waiting more than 30 mins in Live Chat which actually was off, whatever)
Got 4.99$ domain, also thanks to this forum :D

Any advice is precious. After one week of reading that much, I don't even remember where I've read something and I feel I have to start anything again (with infos)

And that seems to be a nice forum, and I like that.

Thanks,

Alex.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Welcome!

After how much time I can sell a domain? I'm not hurrying but I'm curious

you need to be able to transfer the domain to a new owner if you want to sell it so either account push or transfer need to work. How long you need to wait for either of these to work might vary you need to check with your registrar. It should be at most 2 months.
Which Marketplace (Sedo/Flippa/Here) is better?

it depends on what you are looking for but if you want to sell to end-users Sedo is better IMO. Godaddy auctions is another marketplace.
How can I estimate the value of a domain? I was searching on FreeValuator and Estibot but sometimes they're completely far from each other

there can be many reasons why a domain could be valuable. it could be one single factor that makes it valuable but usually it is a combination of several factors.

some things that could determine value for example:

extension
length
number of words
language
memorability

you need to study everything that makes a domain valuable.

TRUMPeniSTAN.com :troll: That's on eBay, would be weirdo if I will sell it lol. Kinda trolling but who knows, it has a nice description :troll:

In theory the risk of this one is more than the registration fee because it incorporates a trademark or the name of a famous person. Look up UDRP and TM law. Can lead to legal action being taken which could cost more than what you paid for it. Better delete TM domains if you got some by accident.

Best not to register Trump domains IMO. They are very aggressive when it comes to protecting their name.

FV= FreeValuator / EB=Estibot.
Both of them are quite expensive and they don't offer one-month subscription. What a shame... and in some case there is a 100% difference.

You don't need Estibot, these tools are not very reliable.

Sometimes I also use Sedo for appraisal, as a curiosity

Sedo appraisal is the worst, I would never ever use it for anything. Just gives you the wrong idea.

Okay, so I have 5 domains (+ one which I don't count :troll:) which I hope I can sell in the next following..5-6 months? At least 3 of them in that time.

That's fairly optimistic. Portfolio turnover rates are low single digits in this industry. You might sell a few out of a hundred each year or less, that's more realistic. Crap domains (also known as pigeon shit here) will never sell so just because you own 1000 domains doesn't mean that you will make any sales.

•••
1. Try to push your domain names in diferend platforms as possible like
Auctions.Godaddy.com
DomainNameSales.com
Afternic.com
Flippa.com
emojibid.com (for emoji domain names)

so your Donain names can have more visibility

2. Sometimes, the best Domain names are picked according with your feeling! how do you feel about it?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back