Dynadot

news A Threat to the Importance of Domain Names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

deez007

The More I Learn The Less I "Know"Top Member
Impact
Domain names face a number of threats, including AI personal assistants.

Our industry seems to spend a lot of energy battling between the relative value of old top level domain names versus new ones. It doesn’t spend enough time paying attention to the threats that the domain industry faces as a whole.

As I explained on the DNW Predictions podcast last week, one of these possible threats is starting to appear.

A lot of people have said that voice control is a threat to domain names. I disagree. The idea of people telling their web browser where to go via voice does not eliminate the need for navigational signposts like domain names.

Yet, we are now inviting a new way of getting information and ordering goods directly into our living room: Amazon’s Alexa, Google Home and the like. We also have AI-powered personal assistants like Google Assistant and Siri.

Full Article Here:
http://domainnamewire.com/2017/01/05/threat-importance-domain-names/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yep, the technology exists with QR codes and NFC tags but I'm talking about a stand alone button...that doesn't communicate with anything unless u turn it on and it must be tapped on to a device to transmit.

I think you can do that with NFC tags or by bumping phones together - check this out especially the part about sharing contacts http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-use-nfc-android-164644/

You have to get pretty close to a tag - I guess if you really want it off you could carry a metal case so people can't pick your digital pocket.

I wonder if we can get beacons to be selectively visible? If they take people to urls those could respond based on device and browser info or other active inputs.

•••
I think you can do that with NFC tags or by bumping phones together - check this out especially the part about sharing contacts http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-use-nfc-android-164644/

You have to get pretty close to a tag - I guess if you really want it off you could carry a metal case so people can't pick your digital pocket.

I wonder if we can get beacons to be selectively visible? If they take people to urls those could respond based on device and browser info or other active inputs.

Hmmmm interesting...... got me thinking..lol

•••
In fact I'm finding that if I make a typo, then the browser clears my entry, and sends to to some location that it selects

Exactly.

..that if I make a typo.. ---> if G decided itΒ΄s a typo..

I really have everything fancy disabled on my android.
Wlan some times at home (for updates)
Sync activated every once in a while
Bluetooth etc.. nothing enabled

With UMTS/GSM for telephony and some web access im totally fine.

IMO every enabled service (that includes android as whole) is just another vector for security issues.

•••
I like when you mention the word "attached" in gmail, it reminds you to put an attachment. Just crazy!

•••
•••
Domain names will become even more relevant.

There are two issues here :
  1. Communication between AI and API
  2. Communication between Human and AI
Humans speak to AI in english not IPV4 or IPV6 , so AI biggest problem will be match the domain names. People accents are a bottleneck here.

AI to API, domain will need some sort of standard API , which AI can speak to. When you use AI to shop, turn up the heat or similar, it's communicating via API.

•••
A good invention (assuming it does not exist already) would be a sort of "button" let's say a tiny device the size of a button. t

The RFID chips in credit cards are perfect for that, a technology already in use. Organizing and controlling it is the catch, some gov't would want their hands on it. One day, that chip will be implanted under everybodys skin at birth. I will be dead by then.

•••
•••
Domain names face a number of threats, including AI personal assistants.

Our industry seems to spend a lot of energy battling between the relative value of old top level domain names versus new ones. It doesn’t spend enough time paying attention to the threats that the domain industry faces as a whole.

As I explained on the DNW Predictions podcast last week, one of these possible threats is starting to appear.

A lot of people have said that voice control is a threat to domain names. I disagree. The idea of people telling their web browser where to go via voice does not eliminate the need for navigational signposts like domain names.

Yet, we are now inviting a new way of getting information and ordering goods directly into our living room: Amazon’s Alexa, Google Home and the like. We also have AI-powered personal assistants like Google Assistant and Siri.

Full Article Here:
http://domainnamewire.com/2017/01/05/threat-importance-domain-names/

Voice control? Hopefully both voice control AND no threat to domains occur. I have VOICE .IO ;)

•••
alexa in vehicles will revolutionize cars etc especially in traffic jams etc with people asking alexa why has the traffic suddenly stopped and if alexa is linked to video alexa will produce video footage of the traffic situation other visual tweets by audio request when vehicle stationary etc

Um sorry but that is not revolutionary. Revolutionary (in the near term - humans still driving) is dynamic rerouting when a traffic blockage occurs so you can avoid the jam entirely. Medium term, there will be automatic negotiation of all vehicle traffic with route load balancing for rush hours and to avoid creation of later jams to avoid an earlier jam. Vehicles driving a free form / ad hoc route will get lower priority - be it lane assignment or intersection gating.

CES 2017 had a lot of auto car yapping...

•••
The RFID chips in credit cards are perfect for that, a technology already in use. Organizing and controlling it is the catch, some gov't would want their hands on it. One day, that chip will be implanted under everybodys skin at birth. I will be dead by then.

Sorry dude, they already started chipping (they masking it as "test/trials" for people with medical conditions to get chipped to "alert" them when certain vitals go out of balance) but it's already starting dude... I will refuse to be chipped.... they will try force u to do it...by making it essential to get chipped to get a bank account and essential to have a chip to get ur drivers lice3nse or rent an apartment or buy an apartment... when that happens chances are you will have to very different segments of society...the free and the slaves who think they are free....lol

•••
In the near term AI personal assistants will be kind of dumb and best at routine scheduling and requests. If a particular website / other address is long/clumsy, surely the AIPA can be taught nicknames / abbreviations for these. This is another form of bookmarking.

Later on more advanced AIs can be told "use that place we got the purple xyz..." or find me new vendors like that place...

And with more advanced AIs that can do vendor analysis at least as well as we can and much much faster, we can ask it to intentionally avoid vendors per our desired values (no evil corporations) seek out the warm puppy mom / pop shops with fair pricing and check business ownership so they are not shell fronts for the evil corps.

And let's not forget that domain names were created as human friendly mappings to IP addresses...

ps I'm hoping I'm around when the multi-edged sword of direct brain speed neural connection is possible. Singularity stuff...

Last edited:
•••
•••
traffic jams are so easily solved

how to solve traffic jams completely

the first person to design an app that charges vehicles to use roads and operates a road booking system
will solve all traffic jams

and make billions doing it

•••
I don't think domain names face any threat at the moment!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back