Dynadot

domains A. Rosener on Future of Decentralized Web & Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
Unstoppable Domains posted a video interview with Media Options CEO Andrew Rosener that domain investors may want to watch. In the interview, Andrew offered his opinions and insights “about the future of the decentralized web and the potential and utility of blockchain” domain names.

read more / video (DI)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Shocking ! I was under the impression that Andrew did not invest in any domains other then .com

I’m an avid GTLD investor, however I I don’t invest in extensions that are unaccredited by ICANN or the DNS ... there seems to be a lot of money going into the decentralization of the internet, so who knows what will happen,

Very insightful ^ I especially like his comments under the video, he’s right the majority are falling asleep while driving 100 mph down the freeway

Last edited:
•••
If you have a decentralized item then it can be copied endlessly. In other words, .crypto isn’t a one off, it might be one of many.

•••
I think he is a little too bullish in this process. I wish he talked more about the technology rather than his illusion of how it will pan out. Just for fun, I went and checked where I can buy one of these domains. To no ones surprise, his company is selling them. No wonder he is in such huge favor of them.

•••
I think he is a little too bullish in this process. I wish he talked more about the technology rather than his illusion of how it will pan out. Just for fun, I went and checked where I can buy one of these domains. To no ones surprise, his company is selling them. No wonder he is in such huge favor of them.

Quite interesting that he would support any extensions that are not accredited by ICANN or the DNS system

I think the technology is cool, but if the extension is not accredited by ICANN them you’re gonna have a free for fall when someone decides to apply for ownership rights over .crypto through ICANN

I saw that Arachnid Labs who is running the ENS and .eth has tried to apply for .eth through ICANN but ICANN denied them, saying they are holding the name as the abbreviation of Ethiopia :) .eth

•••
You have battles within that circle too. Steve Webb from Park.io told me how Handshake was the way and that unstoppable is going to have problems. At the end of the day until your Mother and Grandmother are willing to trust and transact business there they will be for a small group of tech centric people others will avoid like the plague. Hell people avoid certain gtlds they heard were scammy.

If GoDaddy tells the public to like these and trust these then that's a different story. Again IMO.

•••
Quite interesting that he would support any extensions that are not accredited by ICANN or the DNS system

I think the technology is cool, but if the extension is not accredited by ICANN them you’re gonna have a free for fall when someone decides to apply for ownership rights over .crypto through ICANN

I saw that Arachnid Labs who is running the ENS and .eth has tried to apply for .eth through ICANN but ICANN denied them, saying they are holding the name as the abbreviation of Ethiopia :) .eth

I was thinking this was the case. So he is essentially selling non valid domains for technology that doesn't even exist yet... Not a fan.

•••

That would seem odd because countries are assigned country codes Ethiopia has an extension .Et

•••
That would seem odd because countries are assigned country codes Ethiopia has an extension .Et

It is not odd. Even if unassigned, all countries also "own" the three letter code for them. Like "USA", "RUS", "AZE" and so on. No one can get those, unless a country would agree to relinquish their claims and ICANN would agree to give it out thereafter.

•••

I thought the same thing, see attached

Attachments

• 2142BC12-1905-4241-BA47-A71677AB1B94.jpeg
    2142BC12-1905-4241-BA47-A71677AB1B94.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 142
•••
I was thinking this was the case. So he is essentially selling non valid domains for technology that doesn't even exist yet... Not a fan.

what’s even more confusing about that is he doesn’t support GTLDs as far as I know, which are the basis for what ENS is doing ... new extensions etc. lol

•••
Feel free to send me bitcoin and other crypto to blockchain domain: 888888.zil

•••
I thought it was a fascinating interview!..
Rosener gives ‘his’ insights and ‘his’ opinions on the future of blockchain and .crypto as a domain extension.

DomainSherpa did a interview (March 11 2021) with Bradley Kam from Unstoppable Domains and that is worthwhile listening to as well..

•••
You have battles within that circle too. Steve Webb from Park.io told me how Handshake was the way and that unstoppable is going to have problems. At the end of the day until your Mother and Grandmother are willing to trust and transact business there they will be for a small group of tech centric people others will avoid like the plague. Hell people avoid certain gtlds they heard were scammy.

If GoDaddy tells the public to like these and trust these then that's a different story. Again IMO.

Same thing was said at start of the internet (I was there) and many of my friends missed out on the early opoortunities. Then they said the same thing about credit card transations over the internet. See a pattern? Web3 is coming at us fast, with massive potential for development. And web3 domains will be part of this revolution. And to think, for just a few grand, you could secure a decent portfolio of names. It's riskier NOT to invest in them.

•••
what’s even more confusing about that is he doesn’t support GTLDs as far as I know, which are the basis for what ENS is doing ... new extensions etc. lol

NGTLD's aren't the basis of ENS, but you can integrate your new extensions with ENS as they want to support all ICANN extensions.

e.g. right now you can use Alessandro.xyz as your crypto wallet if you set it up on app.ens.domains. They're adding legacy extension support (.com/.net/.org) within the next couple of months, already in testing now.

basically, you can do everything with .xyz/.com on ENS that you can do with .eth, the only difference being that .eth is a native NFT - a decentralized, censorship resistant ERC721 token. renewals and ownership automatically handled by smart contracts.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Back