domains 8 years later, a look at the first 7 new gtlds

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
What do we call something 8 years old? Not new, not a baby, not even a toddler. While there is speculation about when the next round of "Not legacy TLD's" will be introduced, let's take a look back at the first 7 to launch in 2014. In a post I wrote, "It's a profit deal" I checked in on the first 7 when they were just 4 months old. Here is what the numbers looked like: .bike … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"New gTLDS" a misnomer now, but the name seems to stick to describe most year 2012+ extensions. They will always be the New Kids on the Block I guess.

Thanks for the revisit on the numbers. To be honest, with most of the extensions you looked at, no surprises to me in terms of regs, sales. Most of those are really quite needless, using "ing" in an extension isn't all that exciting. Holdings makes sense to me though. Guru always thought a bit interesting in a vanity sort of way, looks like they've remained solid though no real change in 8 years and the 76k in sales is interesting.

•••
I remember the hype when .GURU launched.

If you actually look into the sales a lot of them were close to launch. For instance .GURU only has $24,900 in total sales in the last 5 years.

It looks like single letter ones are selling for less than $500 now.

Brad

•••
If you actually look into the sales a lot of them were close to launch. For instance .GURU only has $24,900 in total sales in the last 5 years.

Brad
That makes a bit more sense, thanks.

•••
I remember the hype when .GURU launched.

It looks like single letter ones are selling for less than $500 now.

Brad
I remember that too, a few thought Guru would be big.

•••
Since beginning (2014) -

.bike 10 sales for $16.6K
.clothing 2 sales for $381
.guru 55 sales for $76.6K
.holdings sales 5 for $29.8k
.plumbing 0 sales Namebio does not even have them in the drop down list.
.singles 1 sale for $2,760
.ventures 22 sales for $48.7k

Last (5) year sales -

Bike - 3 / $2,268
Clothing - 0 / $0
Guru - 33 / $24,900
Holdings - 5 / $29,800
Plumbing - 0 / $0
Singles - 0 / $0
Ventures - 22 / $48,700

When it comes to resale, most of these extensions are just dead.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I probably would of taken a punt on a few .ventures if they were standard renewals and managed to get them

Business
Smart
Travel

etc etc

Probably a few more that make sense and worth holding for the long term - not to many though @ $37+ renewlas.....

https://tld-list.com/tld/ventures

•••
I probably would of taken a punt on a few .ventures if they were standard renewals and managed to get them

Business
Smart
Travel

etc etc

Probably a few more that make sense and worth holding for the long term - not to many though @ $37+ renewlas.....

https://tld-list.com/tld/ventures
Yeah, the problem with these extensions is they only have a handful of terms that work well and almost all of them are/were reserved by the registry who demands high registration and/or renewal fees.

Brad

•••
I'm not a ngtlds fan but I believe they will grow their usage among endusers. However from an investor standpoint we should only consider few words per ntlds instead of consider a whole ntld.

•••
NGTLD will always be the second best for a two word .com domain names that too Keyword domains
Only the very best will sell

•••
•••
Early donuts TLDs
Unopposed strings

Guru
Ventures
Holdings

Bitcoin or Crypto in either 3 is worth millions

That means they can sell for $42k on NC auction

Lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back