Dynadot

information 7 Best Places to Sell Your Domain Names - How To Sell Your Domain Name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Abhi007007

InterviewCalls.comTop Member
Impact
Sharing some info i found valuable on Internet for Beginners.

Got a good domain name? What about making some money selling it out? the domain bird-cage.com was sold for $1800 and the person who bought the domain re-designed the website and sold it for $173,000 after 2 years!! Pretty interesting business huh? So how can you make money selling your domain names? What all are the best domain selling websites?
With the internet reaching new heights, there are more places to sell your domains than ever before. Though experts recommend that investors seek potential buyers directly, it is also important to do everything possible to get your domains in front of as many buyers as possible.

Well, you can list your domain is multiple places as well. What you need to remember is to remove domains from other platforms as soon as it sells on one. Let us have a look at some of the best places to sell your domain names.

Find a Good Domain Name for your Blog or Website - are you finding it difficult to choose a good domain name for your new blog or website? Read our well-explained tutorial on selecting the best & right domain name.

How can you sell your domain name for the best price

This article is all about selling your domain name at the best price. The domain name business is very much like the real estate business. I still regret I wasn't able to register those 3 letter and 4 letter domains in the early 2000. If you had a 3 letter domain name right now you could have sold it for a minimum price of $100,000. Anyway let me tell you, all the 3 letters and 4 letter domains have been taken. I remember my college days while I applied mathematics I learned in Engineering to check the 4 letter domain name availability. Like, I just wanted to check whether any of the 4 letter domain name is available. I applied permutations (26p4) and found that there were 26x26x26x26 =456,976 4 letter domain names. I used the bulk domain name checker to check whether these domains were available , I also asked the help of some of my friends in achieving this task. After 1 week I found out that all the 4 letter domains were taken up (1 week efforts went futile).

Anyhow, it was a great learning experience to me and I found that FORECASTING is the key success factor in domain business.

Now, lets see how you can sell your domain name.

1. Let the world know your domain is for sale

Whether your site(domain) got visitors or not, let your visitors know that you are planning to sell your domain. This one of the best way to generate leads.

2. Sensible pricing

You might have heard of domain names sold for million dollars. Either they are lucky or their domain name must be worth it. Dont overprice your domain or else you'll be spoiling the chance to sell your domain. Yes, bargaining is really important but first of all make sure your domain name pricing is sensible. Your domain name might sound fancy for you , but may not for others. Pricing depends on many factors like

· Domain Letters

· Domain Age

· Relevance

· Brandability

· Google Search Volume

· Current or upcoming trends

· Pricing in future

Best places to sell your domain names

So we checked about selling your domain name. Now, what all are the best places to sell your domain names? Lets have a look at the top 7 websites in the internet through which you can sell your domain names.

1. Sedo

Alexa Traffic Rank: 5533

Sedo is one of the largest domain companies online that provides its clients with a large variety of domain services; however, the most popular are the domain listing and sales services and the domain parking services. Besides, they provide registrations, domain valuations, brokerage services, portfolio management and a lot more. In fact, Sedo is the largest domain listing service with more than 800,000 users and marketing more than 14 million domain names on their site. Most names are listed for sale at a straight fee; however, there are names listed for sale by negotiation and those domains for sale via Sedo’s premium auctions.

If you want to sell a domain name, set up a free account on this site and list your name; as it is with other sites, Sedo too takes a percentage on all completed sales. Sedo also provides a unique service called Sedo Pro that caters to the more active and higher valued domain portfolio owners.

One of the downsides of Sedo is that their escrow fees are really high.

2. Flippa

Alexa Traffic Rank: 6913

On Flippa, it is very easy to buy and sell domains. All you need to do is create an account and list your domain; you have to pay for any upgrades you wish to add to your listing and respond to the queries as they come in from potential buyers. If a sale is likely to end successfully, you can transfer the ownership and receive your money. It is as simple as that.

Flippa is certainly a great option to sell your domain provided you don’t mind paying the fees. However, there are some complaints about bad customer support at Flippa. Moreover, it is also said that there are quite a few dodgy bidders who make bids without the intention to buy. It seems that Flippa team hasn’t done anything much to check these fake bidders.

3. Afternic

Alexa Traffic Rank: 19,945

Afternic is one of the great domain aftermarket sites to visit. The site tends to specialize in high quality names and therefore, cheap bargains are harder to come by. But, if you are looking to sell a quality domain name, you will most probably find a buyer pretty easily at Afternic. The process of buying and selling domain names on Afternic.com is quite simple when compared to other aftermarket sites as Afternic uses their own specialized escrow service. Coming to the sale fee, it is comparable to other sites, falling between 10 and 20%. As a seller, you get your money’s worth as Afternic is capable of reaching a large network of potential and seasoned buyers.

4. Igloo

Alexa Traffic Rank: 156,754

Igloo provides you with the information and tools required to meet your domain needs pretty effectively and efficiently. Being the premier marketplace for registered domains, Igloo specializes in helping people purchase domain names, buy registered domains, list domains for sale in different ways and sell domains in a safe and secure manner.

There are many reasons why you should consider Igloo: verified buyers and sellers, user-friendly interface, public and private auctions, customized transaction support, tailored listing pages, seamless parking platform integration and independent third party data.

5. Cax

Alexa Traffic Rank: 390,852

Cax features your domain in front of the biggest community of domain investors. The sales commission is 5 to 10% depending on your membership. Except during auctions, there is no listing or brokerage exclusivity. Your listing is in your control; you can add, edit or remove as per your convenience. You are provided with complete sales page customization; you can choose to add text, video, graphics, and the like. You can also avail free sale page parking at Cax.com. Moreover, get a free sub domain to list your entire domain portfolio under one roof.

The best part is that you can start using the domain you wanted with no money down!

6. BrandBucket

Alexa Traffic Rank: 38,697

Brandbucket offers businesses with carefully researched domain names rich in branding. Therefore, if you have a high quality domain with you, you can certainly find potential buyers via Brandbucket. Communication with BrandBucket is very fast and all transactions are swift. This means that you can sell your domain and get your money in a flash.

There aren’t any contracts involved for buying and selling domains at this site.

7. HuntingMoon

Alexa Traffic Rank: 410000

HuntingMoon has created an easy platform for trading assets like domain names, businesses, domain portfolios, web traffic, content, design and a lot of other products and services. The transaction is pretty fast and smooth. They price your domains realistically and can gain attention of most of the big players in the arena. By choosing HungtingMoon, you are dealing with total honesty and integrity.

HuntingMoon market has over 10,000 buyers shopping every month and the number is growing every consecutive month. A lot of start-ups, investors, and businesses rely on this site for domain names. So, you should find a plethora of buyers for your domain.

Members can interact with each other over private messaging or via the Questions and Answers tab on the listings. The commission to HuntingMoon on successful transactions is just 10%.

Well, having reviewed quite a few popular online places to sell your domains, now, it’s up to you to decide on which online platform will best suit you. Before deciding on finding a site to sell the domain, make it a point to assess your domain and find out its quality and worth. This will be a great way to identify the best platform to sell your domain through a domain aftermarket site that sells the kind of domain you have.

SOURCE: Dollarfry.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not a great article.
Huntingmoon is empty.
Cax is moving to domaining.com
3L.com are not minimum $100k (the most recent 9 sales on namebio are all under $30k)

These are just a few of the issues I have with this article.

Thank you for trying to help out beginners with some useful info though.

•••
@Jonathan MacDermid Just trying to help fellow Domainers. Found this info useful.
Thanks for your input though. :)

•••
There are so many different platforms today, Lets say Afternic, Afternic is now owned by Godaddy, Prior to that, Afternic had a good sales platform, now, not so much IMO. Sedo is still Sedo, they supply an excellent service still, just as they did 15 years ago. but are not turning the volume in xx,xxx and xxx,xxx sales as they used to, this due to domain name economic conditions IMO.

CAX, Pfffttt, never really developed into a reliable sales platform IMO,

BrandBucket, BrandPa are reliable , and the staff does a great job. for brander names.

There are just so many, it is really the preference of the name holder, I still to this day prefer Sedo as my market place, however there are some awesome platforms , undeveloped comes to mind.

•••
You have some more good marketplace, for example Undeveloped.com, Lysted.com, Epik.com to name a few. Though they are smaller but you get good exposure and sales.

•••
•••
Interesting list. A lot of selling options.

•••
@.X. What do you like about Sedo? I find it dated and I don't really get any sales there (though my first sale was there...)

•••
Sharing some info i found valuable on Internet for Beginners.

Got a good domain name? What about making some money selling it out? the domain bird-cage.com was sold for $1800 and the person who bought the domain re-designed the website and sold it for $173,000 after 2 years!! Pretty interesting business huh? So how can you make money selling your domain names? What all are the best domain selling websites?
With the internet reaching new heights, there are more places to sell your domains than ever before. Though experts recommend that investors seek potential buyers directly, it is also important to do everything possible to get your domains in front of as many buyers as possible.

Well, you can list your domain is multiple places as well. What you need to remember is to remove domains from other platforms as soon as it sells on one. Let us have a look at some of the best places to sell your domain names.

Find a Good Domain Name for your Blog or Website - are you finding it difficult to choose a good domain name for your new blog or website? Read our well-explained tutorial on selecting the best & right domain name.

How can you sell your domain name for the best price

This article is all about selling your domain name at the best price. The domain name business is very much like the real estate business. I still regret I wasn't able to register those 3 letter and 4 letter domains in the early 2000. If you had a 3 letter domain name right now you could have sold it for a minimum price of $100,000. Anyway let me tell you, all the 3 letters and 4 letter domains have been taken. I remember my college days while I applied mathematics I learned in Engineering to check the 4 letter domain name availability. Like, I just wanted to check whether any of the 4 letter domain name is available. I applied permutations (26p4) and found that there were 26x26x26x26 =456,976 4 letter domain names. I used the bulk domain name checker to check whether these domains were available , I also asked the help of some of my friends in achieving this task. After 1 week I found out that all the 4 letter domains were taken up (1 week efforts went futile).

Anyhow, it was a great learning experience to me and I found that FORECASTING is the key success factor in domain business.

Now, lets see how you can sell your domain name.

1. Let the world know your domain is for sale

Whether your site(domain) got visitors or not, let your visitors know that you are planning to sell your domain. This one of the best way to generate leads.

2. Sensible pricing

You might have heard of domain names sold for million dollars. Either they are lucky or their domain name must be worth it. Dont overprice your domain or else you'll be spoiling the chance to sell your domain. Yes, bargaining is really important but first of all make sure your domain name pricing is sensible. Your domain name might sound fancy for you , but may not for others. Pricing depends on many factors like

· Domain Letters

· Domain Age

· Relevance

· Brandability

· Google Search Volume

· Current or upcoming trends

· Pricing in future

Best places to sell your domain names

So we checked about selling your domain name. Now, what all are the best places to sell your domain names? Lets have a look at the top 7 websites in the internet through which you can sell your domain names.

1. Sedo

Alexa Traffic Rank: 5533

Sedo is one of the largest domain companies online that provides its clients with a large variety of domain services; however, the most popular are the domain listing and sales services and the domain parking services. Besides, they provide registrations, domain valuations, brokerage services, portfolio management and a lot more. In fact, Sedo is the largest domain listing service with more than 800,000 users and marketing more than 14 million domain names on their site. Most names are listed for sale at a straight fee; however, there are names listed for sale by negotiation and those domains for sale via Sedo’s premium auctions.

If you want to sell a domain name, set up a free account on this site and list your name; as it is with other sites, Sedo too takes a percentage on all completed sales. Sedo also provides a unique service called Sedo Pro that caters to the more active and higher valued domain portfolio owners.

One of the downsides of Sedo is that their escrow fees are really high.

2. Flippa

Alexa Traffic Rank: 6913

On Flippa, it is very easy to buy and sell domains. All you need to do is create an account and list your domain; you have to pay for any upgrades you wish to add to your listing and respond to the queries as they come in from potential buyers. If a sale is likely to end successfully, you can transfer the ownership and receive your money. It is as simple as that.

Flippa is certainly a great option to sell your domain provided you don’t mind paying the fees. However, there are some complaints about bad customer support at Flippa. Moreover, it is also said that there are quite a few dodgy bidders who make bids without the intention to buy. It seems that Flippa team hasn’t done anything much to check these fake bidders.

3. Afternic

Alexa Traffic Rank: 19,945

Afternic is one of the great domain aftermarket sites to visit. The site tends to specialize in high quality names and therefore, cheap bargains are harder to come by. But, if you are looking to sell a quality domain name, you will most probably find a buyer pretty easily at Afternic. The process of buying and selling domain names on Afternic.com is quite simple when compared to other aftermarket sites as Afternic uses their own specialized escrow service. Coming to the sale fee, it is comparable to other sites, falling between 10 and 20%. As a seller, you get your money’s worth as Afternic is capable of reaching a large network of potential and seasoned buyers.

4. Igloo

Alexa Traffic Rank: 156,754

Igloo provides you with the information and tools required to meet your domain needs pretty effectively and efficiently. Being the premier marketplace for registered domains, Igloo specializes in helping people purchase domain names, buy registered domains, list domains for sale in different ways and sell domains in a safe and secure manner.

There are many reasons why you should consider Igloo: verified buyers and sellers, user-friendly interface, public and private auctions, customized transaction support, tailored listing pages, seamless parking platform integration and independent third party data.

5. Cax

Alexa Traffic Rank: 390,852

Cax features your domain in front of the biggest community of domain investors. The sales commission is 5 to 10% depending on your membership. Except during auctions, there is no listing or brokerage exclusivity. Your listing is in your control; you can add, edit or remove as per your convenience. You are provided with complete sales page customization; you can choose to add text, video, graphics, and the like. You can also avail free sale page parking at Cax.com. Moreover, get a free sub domain to list your entire domain portfolio under one roof.

The best part is that you can start using the domain you wanted with no money down!

6. BrandBucket

Alexa Traffic Rank: 38,697

Brandbucket offers businesses with carefully researched domain names rich in branding. Therefore, if you have a high quality domain with you, you can certainly find potential buyers via Brandbucket. Communication with BrandBucket is very fast and all transactions are swift. This means that you can sell your domain and get your money in a flash.

There aren’t any contracts involved for buying and selling domains at this site.

7. HuntingMoon

Alexa Traffic Rank: 410000

HuntingMoon has created an easy platform for trading assets like domain names, businesses, domain portfolios, web traffic, content, design and a lot of other products and services. The transaction is pretty fast and smooth. They price your domains realistically and can gain attention of most of the big players in the arena. By choosing HungtingMoon, you are dealing with total honesty and integrity.

HuntingMoon market has over 10,000 buyers shopping every month and the number is growing every consecutive month. A lot of start-ups, investors, and businesses rely on this site for domain names. So, you should find a plethora of buyers for your domain.

Members can interact with each other over private messaging or via the Questions and Answers tab on the listings. The commission to HuntingMoon on successful transactions is just 10%.

Well, having reviewed quite a few popular online places to sell your domains, now, it’s up to you to decide on which online platform will best suit you. Before deciding on finding a site to sell the domain, make it a point to assess your domain and find out its quality and worth. This will be a great way to identify the best platform to sell your domain through a domain aftermarket site that sells the kind of domain you have.

SOURCE: Dollarfry.com

•••
my first day here and I feel like Rodney Dangerfield in "Back to School". Most informative.

•••
Igloo is a personalized domain selling service ?

•••
I found the article most-Interesting and informative. Take a bow, in my opinion.

Yes, I’m sure there are some inaccuracies, but given the extreme volatility of domaining and such a lengthy piece, mistakes are bound to occur.

You used one word l see (and don’t understand) in different forms—in this case—”brandability.” I’m an English instructor and am pretty-good with the King’s English—but l have a blind spot when it comes to all things Brand.

Can you give an example or two?

Thanks again for so much enlightenment—and, apparently, not only freelance but free. What a bargain!

•••
@.X. What do you like about Sedo? I find it dated and I don't really get any sales there (though my first sale was there...)

I like the money I make there, the brokers are awesome, the transactions always go very smoothly, demographically I sell the majority of names to China, Germany, France and Canada , that being across all sales platforms.

It appears in many cases that my buyers have trust in Sedo and feel more comfortable using that platform than others, although my sales are picking up on both Afternic and Godaddy = both the same, with some coming from undeveloped as well.

•••
@.X. Funnily enough I closed a nice sale on Sedo shortly after that post. Do you use make offer or buy now there?

•••
@.X. Funnily enough I closed a nice sale on Sedo shortly after that post. Do you use make offer or buy now there?

Congrats on the sale!

I do both buy now and make offer, I almost always use the make offer option for names that are in higher demand, more complicated with negotiations and all, but a higher ROI in most cases.

Sedo has been pretty awesome for me through the years, I have always stayed plugged in with them, I have had repeat customers there as well, I can't say that for any other market place I have used.

•••
Hey guys, so someone I know locally wants me to handle all of their inquiries and get set up on a platform, but I have been looking around and cant seem to find a nice looking one with a CRM and low fees but Uniregistry.. Am I missing something? Undeveloped has 9% fees, so thats out. Efty doesn't have the CRM feature, so thats out... Any im missing?

•••
Hey guys, so someone I know locally wants me to handle all of their inquiries and get set up on a platform, but I have been looking around and cant seem to find a nice looking one with a CRM and low fees but Uniregistry.. Am I missing something? Undeveloped has 9% fees, so thats out. Efty doesn't have the CRM feature, so thats out... Any im missing?
there is nothing free in this world... great feature must be come with certain prices

•••
there is nothing free in this world... great feature must be come with certain prices
I get that, but what do you think is my best bet? Cheapest fees and best....

•••
Imo sedo is one of the top 3 platforms. they get traffic are recognized all over the globe and never any issues with payment

my first 3 sales were with them all within a few weeks years ago and im keen on them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back