Dynadot

advice 60 day domain lock at registrar?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is 60 days too long for a domain to be locked in your account?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    95.2%
  • No

vote
    4.8%
  • I dont know, i dont domain

votes
    0.0%
  • Where did i park my car? ahhhh

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

The Durfer

Wesley SweatmanTop Member
Impact
Quick question/discussion - the 60 day lock on new domains in your account. Has anyone ever paid the registrar a fee for unlocking the domain anyway? Just curious to hear stories on the dreaded 60 day lock. ty in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
60 days is too much for flippers but accepted by the majority I suppose.

•••
i agree, but who are the majority if it isnt domainers?

•••
10 days is enough I'd say. Pretty sure I've moved a domain from Epik before the 60 days because I asked nicely.

Last edited:
•••
i mean, yes there should be a delay just to make sure the transfer was done correctly. 60 days? idk.

•••
Here's the good news, now's your chance to change that 60-day lock into 30-day lock instead. And more good news for those too lazy to comment on ICANN: ICANN has made it much more simpler to submit comments using choice-based questions.

All you need to do now is:
Log/Register into ICANN > https://www.icann.org/en/public-com...port-on-the-transfer-policy-review-21-06-2022 > click [Provide Your Input] > Fill in appropriate profile details > Select {No Opinion} for Recommendations 1 till 15 > Select {Support Recommendation as written} for Recommendations 16 till 22 > lastly write a short summary about how you hate the 60-day locks in your own words. :)

ICANN plans to change the lock period to 30 days, so if you want a shorter lock period, you may want to read pages 31 till 38 from their PDF file and comment at the corresponding Recommendations. But I would advise not to get "too greedy" because ICANN usually prefers sticking to what they've already planned to set unless there's significant opposition, and this time the opposition will likely come from your favorite 60-day-locking registrars who arbitrarily interpret "MAY lock for 60 days" as "MUST lock for 60 days". And as usual, the anti-domainer opposition comments will come at the very last minute :) . So don't wait nor ignore this. Submit/comment and share to as many places as possible. I'm sure some of you are in some WhatsApp / FB / social groups, and then there's that Epik-owned forum that I'm not part of that you can share to.

Those who want/need 60-day locks, I would suggest suggesting to ICANN to compel registrars to add a semi-permanent option for users to opt into 60-day locks with opted-in-settings reviews every 12 months. Just an idea, feel free to suggest your own version to ICANN. Many people need shorter locks, only some need longer locks, so registrars should be accommodating the majority while allowing the option for longer locks if necessary.

However ICANN still plans to maintain the "opt-outable" 60-day lock for Contact Detail changes so if you want to object to that one, see page 36-37, Recommendation 21-22

It's not truly accepted by the majority. It was a "lack of opposing comments" during the lack-of-exposure comment period that caused this rule, inspired by a certain evil registrar, to be sneaked in behind everybody's backs. And that's why now ICANN is considering to reduce the lock period. SOOOOOOO... better start supporting ICANN for this round.

•••
ICANN plans to change the lock period to 30 days....
And that's what we will end up with. I can live with 30 days. They should have done this years ago.

•••
Here's the good news, now's your chance to change that 60-day lock into 30-day lock instead. And more good news for those too lazy to comment on ICANN: ICANN has made it much more simpler to submit comments using choice-based questions.

Log/Register into ICANN > https://www.icann.org/en/public-com...port-on-the-transfer-policy-review-21-06-2022 > click [Provide Your Input] > Fill in appropriate profile details > Select {No Opinion} for Recommendations 1 till 15 > Select {Support Recommendation as written} for Recommendations 16 till 22 > lastly write a short summary about how you hate the 60-day locks in your own words. :)

ICANN plans to change the lock period to 30 days, so if you want a shorter lock period, you may want to read pages 31 till 38 from their PDF file and comment at the corresponding Recommendations. But I would advise not to get "too greedy" because ICANN usually prefers sticking to what they've already planned to set unless there's significant opposition, and this time the opposition will likely come from your favorite 60-day-locking registrars who arbitrarily interpret "MAY lock for 60 days" as "MUST lock for 60 days". And as usual, the anti-domainer opposition comments will come at the very last minute :) . So don't wait nor ignore this. Submit/comment and share to as many places as possible. I'm sure some of you are in some WhatsApp / FB / social groups, and then there's that Epik-owned forum that I'm not part of that you can share to.

Those who want/need 60-day locks, I would suggest suggesting to ICANN to compel registrars to add a semi-permanent option for users to opt into 60-day locks with opted-in-settings reviews every 12 months. Just an idea, feel free to suggest your own version to ICANN. Many people need shorter locks, only some need longer locks, so registrars should be accommodating the majority while allowing the option for longer locks if necessary.

However ICANN still plans to maintain the "opt-outable" 60-day lock for Contact Detail changes so if you want to object to that one, see page 36-37, Recommendation 21-22
18 days left to comment!

•••
60 days Transfer Lock is denial of our rights. Domain name safety or no safety, it is domain owner's responsibility, why the Registrar keep our names for 60 days. There are thousands of sales that failed because of these unnecessary lock in period. 60 days lock should be a CHOICE only, there should not be compulsory. The owner should be given the option to opt in or opt out of the 60 days Transfer Lock.

•••

9 days left to comment!

•••
•••
What was the voting result anyway ty?

•••
What was the voting result anyway ty?
Like most if not all comment sessions they only state in their publicly available reports what was said by commenters in a broad summary. No changes implemented yet last I checked today. I see Dynadot & NameCheap opposing the shorter locks under the BS of "security".

Ironically, GD seems to support the shorter locks despite the fact that they initially caused the longer locks, which might be a good thing. Tucows support as well, but nobody here uses them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back