Dynadot

$5 for change of primary domain???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hostgator.com charges $5 if you want to change your primary domain for your account??

anyone heard of this before?
i thought it was as easy as them clicking a button????

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
that's stupid. It should be free... honestly it doesn't take much to change a domain, why they're charging a fee beats me...

•••
the domain has been changed but i havnt been charged yet so *shrug*

•••
Maybe they saw this thread :)

•••
Better than mine. They charge $15

•••
Well. They have to make up for the loose. Dueto the fact they majorly oversell.

- Steve

•••
Sounds like they are being greedy if you ask me.

•••
iNod said:
Well. They have to make up for the loose. Dueto the fact they majorly oversell.

- Steve

?Make up for the loss? what? There is no loss, they are just changing the domain name out on the primary account, witch takes like 5-15 seconds. There is no loss, or no real work involved, at all. I do this about 3-5 times a day, and have never though about ever charging someone. :alien:

Ro-z said:

:bingo:

•••
not to defend them, but I know sometimes hosts charge a small fee to eliminate people from changing things constantly such as hosting plans etc... Most will let you upgrade a plan free but if you downgrade some charge a fee to stop customers from switching things constantly. Not a big deal if you got 10-100 customers but if you have thousands could be a pain to get 100 downgrade requests a day. Just a possible reason?

•••
Exactly. People abuse anything that comes free. I had to change the name one time and they charged my credit card. For sure I dont want to change often as it costs money.

Can you imagine newbies changing names contstanly?

Anyway, thats my opinion.

Gamehouse

ReliableHosters.com said:
not to defend them, but I know sometimes hosts charge a small fee to eliminate people from changing things constantly such as hosting plans etc... Most will let you upgrade a plan free but if you downgrade some charge a fee to stop customers from switching things constantly. Not a big deal if you got 10-100 customers but if you have thousands could be a pain to get 100 downgrade requests a day. Just a possible reason?

•••
So, what if their domain expired, and they dont want to renew it, you will charge them anyways?
Not trying to start a fight, or anything, but that seems to the biggist issue I get from it.

•••
OulZac said:
So, what if their domain expired, and they dont want to renew it, you will charge them anyways?
Not trying to start a fight, or anything, but that seems to the biggist issue I get from it.

nobody said I charge for this, just trying to offer the most logical reason why "hostgator" would do this, you would have to email them for that answer, bottom line read the policies before signing up and if you don't agree with them then don't join that provider. :imho:

Last edited:
•••
ReliableHosters.com said:
nobody said I charge for this, just trying to offer the most logical reason why "hostgator" would do this, you would have to email them for that answer, bottom line read the policies before signing up and if you don't agree with them then don't join that provider. :imho:

I agree, and sorry if that came off as accusing you or saying anything about you. I just don't think its good practice for them to do it ;) But its there business so its their choice.

•••
I see why they do it because they don't want to change a million peoples accounts. But almost all big hosts I know of charge something for alot of extras. But I don't think they should charge because I doubt people change it much but maybe.

•••
Charge for a domain change is usual for many companies, I faced the same experience with 247-host.com with a package purchased at $1.99 per month and when I asked for a domain change they wanted $4.99 because "it's really hard make such change and we have to apply the administrative costs"

I am server admin of a friend of mine so I know exactly it is as hard as login into the root cpanel and select "modify account"

that's it!

it's more likely the same using plesk or ensim so I don't find anything to justify such charge.

Last edited:
•••
I understand the side of them doing it to keep the requests down, as some of you have said, it could take up a big portion of one techs day. But, I still think its a greedy thing to do, its just not good customer servers, even if it is in your TOS, or SLA.

•••
Ro-z said:

Some companies provide free hosting. Maybe those who charge are just being greedy

•••
oliciv said:
Some companies provide free hosting. Maybe those who charge are just being greedy

Boy, thats classic, I have some things to say to that, but I have already been mean to you enough today in another thread so I'll just let it go.

•••
OulZac said:
Boy, thats classic, I have some things to say to that, but I have already been mean to you enough today in another thread so I'll just let it go.

:lol: I'll live ;)

Do you not think that companies should be paid for work?

•••
oliciv said:
:lol: I'll live ;)

Do you not think that companies should be paid for work?

No, I do, but its just something so simple.
To me, its like this, you go into a resturant, and buy a dinner.
Then halfway through, you look around the table and find that they gave you a spoon to eat your steak, so you ask the waiter if you can exchange the spoon for a fork. and he says, sure, for $5.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back