Dynadot

5 Domain Parking comparison

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi All,

I'm earning about $3K per month for the moment, only using sedo and parkingcrew, i decided to run a test to optimize my revenues with 5 parking services:
- sedo
- parkingcrew
- bodis
- domainsponsor
- voodoo

It's seems that there is big differences in term of revenues from one service to another.
The test is running for a few days.

By the end of the test (in a few weeks) let's see how many domains will be on each services to be revenue optimized.

If you are interested by this thread and/or have questions, do not hesitate to post or contact me.

David.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What is DNS? Did you try only sedo and dns? I tried only parkingcrew and it doesn't work well for my domains.

I tried Sedo, Afternic and DNS. After moving to DNS, I am satisfied with results. I wanted to try Bodis but their mobile verification is not working for Indians.

I don't know much about others. Even not interested.

I am happy with the data provided by DNS.

•••
unless you have a high traffic domain
rotating of parking services most likely will
make you lose money
for many month

there are 3 mayor players
and they all have more or less the same
monetising feed : google

voodoo uses yahoo/msn as far as I know

talk to your sedo accountant
they have 2 levels of parking monetisation
( ask for the pro version and more money)

the realy question is not
where to make the most money from parking
( unless you make then $500 / month )
but where do you get the best return of your investment
when it comes to sales

I mostly use parkingcrew as it has the best user interface
some domains do better in terms of parking on other platforms

At Parkingcrew
I connect parking with my own contact form
that gives me a 100% return + VAT when I sell a domain

on sedo that would be about 60%
in case of VAT

for $1.000 Euro offered
I would get paid
about 800 Euro at sedo
and 1190 at my private sale

thats a 390 Euro difference

Those accumulates to much more extra money
then a few bucks more or less in parking revenue

----
unless you have domains for parking
that are not sellable

•••
Firsts results:
sedo:9%
domainsponsor:10%
parkingcrew:31%
voodoo:25%
bodis:24%

Means, 9% of my domains have to go to sedo to have the best cpm.

As there are many domains with low traffic, the test should run a few weeks...

•••
Means, 9% of my domains have to go to sedo to have the best cpm.

As far as I understand it, it means 9% of your total income comes from sedo

as they had the traffic

nothing more - nothing less

•••
As far as I understand it, it means 9% of your total income comes from sedo

as they had the traffic

nothing more - nothing less
No.
This stats is regarding the % of domains with the best cpm on each parking company, not the revenue.

•••
if you are referring to that chart you please read the lines below the chart

upload_2016-3-13_11-23-52.png

•••
I dont refer to that chart, I refer to my own script, my domains are not on above...

•••
I dont refer to that chart, I refer to my own script, my domains are not on above...

That's good to know. For a moment, and seeing frank's screenshot, I thought you were talking about that chart, I'm glad you're not :)

One question,
how do you measure stats without using above.com to normalise traffic?
I'm pretty sure you know that comparing different parking platforms without a normalised base is pretty hard to achieve.

So, what does your script actually compares?

thanks

•••
I only refer to the cpm data given by them. How can i normalize it ?

•••
I only refer to the cpm data given by them. How can i normalize it ?

well -no offence intended- but, judging from your answer, I'm not sure your results are accurate.

In the past I also attempted to compare platforms and it took a rather complicated formula to even achieve rather 'rough' results (ie. as close to reality as possible but not really 'there').

I had taken the normalised traffic from above.com and picked domains that satisfied certain requirements of traffic, rpm and earnings. I then assigned points per domain per service depending upon performance.

If I hadn't used above.com's normalised traffic I wouldn't be able to achieve anything.

note that we use normalised traffic for one reason only: all parking platforms consider real traffic in completely different ways. There is no other way around it afaik.

•••
I'm just wondering why people still use domain parking? If there is traffic to a site, then surely it's worth the few minutes of effort to whip together a minisite with some dummy content or spinned articles and monetize the traffic yourself with affiliate links or Adsense? Because all the parking pages I have seen looks like they were made 10 years ago, and I don't know why end users even bother to click links on a parking page.

And for domain sales leads you can do a lot better. See my domain namesquatter .com for an example. Now it takes 2 seconds to add a new domain to my database, and the website is instantly up and all my other sites have it listed in the portfolio too. I'm about to add Adsense banners and have it pull in sample content based on the category or keywords. Instant website that google can index, will monetize better than other parking methods, and will generate better leads and promote my other domains.

•••
Ok. I see....

I let my system running for the moment and after i will randomly change parking companies every domains very often and let see if i have the same revenue results as i have with my optimisation.

•••
@Wulven parking pages have high cpm...not easy to earn more by developping websites in bulk.

•••
But I thought you don't get paid on a CPM basis, you get paid per click, which the CPM is then calculated from. If you get no clicks, you get no $, no matter how many visitors the page got. And how can an ugly landing page with generic links possibly have a higher CTR than a normal looking website that can be indexed by google? When visitors land on a parking page, there is a very high bounce rate.

Parking pages exist only because it is a "no-work" solution for domain flippers to get a few extra bucks and generate sales leads. But with a bit more effort it can be so much better and you can get full control... I've read a lot of articles about this, and it's why services like Efty were created. But I would be interested to hear your views on this, if you really think that parking can make you more money...

•••
unless you have a high traffic domain
rotating of parking services most likely will
make you lose money
for many month

there are 3 mayor players
and they all have more or less the same
monetising feed : google

voodoo uses yahoo/msn as far as I know

talk to your sedo accountant
they have 2 levels of parking monetisation
( ask for the pro version and more money)

the realy question is not
where to make the most money from parking
( unless you make then $500 / month )
but where do you get the best return of your investment
when it comes to sales

I mostly use parkingcrew as it has the best user interface
some domains do better in terms of parking on other platforms

At Parkingcrew
I connect parking with my own contact form
that gives me a 100% return + VAT when I sell a domain

on sedo that would be about 60%
in case of VAT

for $1.000 Euro offered
I would get paid
about 800 Euro at sedo
and 1190 at my private sale

thats a 390 Euro difference

Those accumulates to much more extra money
then a few bucks more or less in parking revenue

----
unless you have domains for parking
that are not sellable

true.
most domainers shouldn't even bother to worry about parkign revenue. they get peanuts for their domain when parked. so switching parking companies is not even a question most should ask themselves. those who make good parkign revenue are exceptions.

FRANK: if you like parking crew and sale lander, and are not concerned with parking revenue but sales.. then u should check bodis. it is million times better for people who want coenctrate on sales. it allows you auto redirect to your own contact form (no need to go through park page).. has better stats.. or even a nice sale lander form bodis, simple contact form, if you do not want to bother yuor own contact page. chck it out if u never had. I tried both and bodis is way easier to use, and better.

•••
note that we use normalised traffic for one reason only: all parking platforms consider real traffic in completely different ways. There is no other way around it afaik.

for example

parkingcrew fllters referrer spam
sedo doesn't

•••
true.
most domainers shouldn't even bother to worry about parkign revenue. they get peanuts for their domain when parked. so switching parking companies is not even a question most should ask themselves. those who make good parkign revenue are exceptions.

FRANK: if you like parking crew and sale lander, and are not concerned with parking revenue but sales.. then u should check bodis. it is million times better for people who want coenctrate on sales. it allows you auto redirect to your own contact form (no need to go through park page).. has better stats.. or even a nice sale lander form bodis, simple contact form, if you do not want to bother yuor own contact page. chck it out if u never had. I tried both and bodis is way easier to use, and better.

Just wondering if you have ever made sales through Bodis. I got offers, silly offers but no sales yet.

•••
Just wondering if you have ever made sales through Bodis. I got offers, silly offers but no sales yet.

offers are the importnat ones.
sales have nothing to do with bodis.
offers may depend on lander to many extent.
once you get offer, the sale is between u and buyer. not bodis.

so I say stick to bodies lander if it keeps getting you offers. and sales will eventually come.

goodluck

•••
•••

I think I solved the lander issue
Here is my parkingcrew lead captcher

Http://gautos.com

•••
I think I solved the lander issue
Here is my parkingcrew lead captcher

Http://gautos.com

with bodis u can bypass parked page and go direct to sale lander.. or for you i guess it would be dierctly to your sale site. even if yuo bypass parked page on bodis, u still get to retain the nice stats on people whjo visit through bodis... like how mny visits a day.. which domains visited etc..

I don't think parking crew lets you go directly to url and bypass parked page.

I prefer directly. but to each his own.

here is example of bodis on redirect to sale lander (this is bodis sale lander, not my own.. but u can also redirect to your own url/site/landeR).. this is for makeoffer setting:

www.vrjoke.com

unlike parking cerw, bodis also lets you change this makeoffer lander to buynow using escrow account u associate with bodis. so u can setup buynow prices for each domain using escrow.. on bodis..

here is example of escrow buynow on bodis:

www.appcrypt.com

•••
well -no offence intended- but, judging from your answer, I'm not sure your results are accurate.

In the past I also attempted to compare platforms and it took a rather complicated formula to even achieve rather 'rough' results (ie. as close to reality as possible but not really 'there').

I had taken the normalised traffic from above.com and picked domains that satisfied certain requirements of traffic, rpm and earnings. I then assigned points per domain per service depending upon performance.

If I hadn't used above.com's normalised traffic I wouldn't be able to achieve anything.

Due to your post, i decided to change the comparison I show you here.

I'm starting a new comparison based on revenue only. I will change randomly all parking companies on all the domain of the study every 10 minutes, after a few days i will have enough data to know which domain must be on which parking company to optimize my revenues.
I will have to make this optimisation maybe once a month.

Do you think it could be good ?

•••
Due to your post, i decided to change the comparison I show you here.

I'm starting a new comparison based on revenue only. I will change randomly all parking companies on all the domain of the study every 10 minutes, after a few days i will have enough data to know which domain must be on which parking company to optimize my revenues.
I will have to make this optimisation maybe once a month.

Do you think it could be good ?

You said you don't use above.com's NS so I'll assume that you'll change the NS manually.

NS take time to propagate across the internet. How are you going to compensate for that?

also, revenue can't be the only factor.

You might have a platform that gives high epc while another might give lower epc but more revenue across time via the number of clicks.

Since the time you'll give to each will be limited, the first platform might 'happen' not to have any clicks and the second probably won't have time to optimize properly (just guessing on this one).

That's the reason you should also include rpm. And, to be fair for all platforms, you'll need to use a normalised rpm based on normalised traffic (I mention this again, I know)

EDIT: btw, @The guys that hijack the thread with irrelevant stuff.
You have talked about the same stuff on multiple threads. This is the first time in a long time that there is a thread about 'pure' parking.
Could you show some respect please?

•••
If i change dns of domains from one company to another, by the end every parking companies will have the same time. So, the company that will bring me the maximum revenue will be the best for my domain.

You speak about normalised traffic. How can i know that without above ?

•••
If i change dns of domains from one company to another, by the end every parking companies will have the same time. So, the company that will bring me the maximum revenue will be the best for my domain.

You speak about normalised traffic. How can i know that without above ?

regarding the normalisation,
That's tough. I don't know what kind of algorithms they use to produce those numbers and I'm using above.com since I first started parking 2-3 years ago which means that I never had the need to create normalised traffic.
I'm pretty sure though that one needs to manage all traffic themeselves for all domains and then send it to each parking company. That's technical stuff though which I know nothing about.

But the goal is the same. If a domain has -let's say- 5000 'hits':
ParkingA will show 50 uniques
ParkingB will show 100 uniques
ParkingC will show 10 uniques
..across the same period. How are you going to measure that?
Depending upon the 'hits' sent to each parking platform I'd 'normalise' the numbers so they would look as much as possible relative to the 'hits' they received. (bah, is too complicated to explain in English. I think I'll stop here with this one).

regarding the dns change,
that's risky. Domains have periods that perform best and periods that don't perform at all.
Are you sure all the domains to be tested have stable traffic & earnings across time?

Let me give you an example,
I own a high traffic sportstv domain. Whenever there is any EU cup, I get crazy traffic and clicks.. all other days things are quiet.
You can easily understand that if I wanted to measure traffic, all the results would be wrong if I followed your way.
The same would happen with any other seasonal domain.

As you can see, you really need to set some requirements at place (like I mentioned on my previous post).

Instead of explaining all that stuff though, wouldn't it be better if I just showed you what I did with above.com's traffic when I ran my platform comparison?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back