Dynadot

$5.99 .com domain registrations at NameSilo

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi Everyone,

We have just launched a great promotion for .com domain registrations for only $5.99 (lower if you are enrolled in our Discount Program). This promotion does not require any coupon code and there are no limits per customer/account. The offer applies to first-year new .com registrations only and our promotional inventory is limited so get this price while available :)

As always, all add-ons such as WHOIS privacy, are entirely free forever!

Hope you enjoy!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@namesilo how come namebio is not reporting your market sales. We need to know how you guys are doing in terms of sales.

Sorry, but we do not publicly release the details of individual sales at this time. As noted via a lter reply, we do occasionally post regarding aggregate sales activity.

•••
i think all their $1 off codes are one time only. no matter if your new or old.
unless they get greedy and one by one remove every one coupon that was posted here.
well.. at least then we'll know. ;)

Sorry, but all $1 coupons are from our affiliates and are tied to the same promotion which limits to 1 redemption per customer. Those coupons are meant for people to try using our company, but are not meant for ongoing use. If you have never used a different $1 coupon with us, then you can combine any such $1 coupon with this promotion or with any other order on our site, but, again, every customer can only use one $1 coupon.

•••
I'd like to address a few of the questions that have been posed on this thread regarding pricing promotions. I can't really speak for other registrars regarding their promotions and the details of why/how/when they offer their promotions, but I can tell you that registries and TLD operators offer registrars a variety of different methods for receiving reduced pricing. These offers, which typically have definitive start/end dates, usually have certain criteria for things like marketing activities the registrar must perform, placement of the TLD in search results, etc. There are also registries that offer different kinds of volume/activity discounts.

Now, to help understand why you typically see discounts for new registrations as opposed to transfers/renewals, this is because most registries and TLD operators are interested in increasing the number of domains they have registered and in use. They therefore typically structure their registrar promotional opportunities around increasing the number of new registrations, which therefore means most registrars, including ourselves, structure their promotions around the same thing. Note this is of course not always the case as some registries and TLD operators offer promotional/rebate plans for renewals as well. If registrars are interested in passing those savings along to their customers, you will see either lower everyday pricing, or for a limited time based upon the details of those opportunities and how the specific registrar implements their offer.

For us at NameSilo, our approach to promotions such as the current one we are offering, is to do so either to take advantage of the kinds of different programs I mentioned above offered by registries/TLD operators, or as a means to drive activity to promote a new service/product, or to simply increase awareness about our company. We look at promotions like the latter as a marketing expense and something to help increase brand loyalty. The registrar market is obviously quite competitive and price is one of the deciding factors many people use when determining which registrar to use. However, like all businesses, we must weigh the benefits of things like pricing promotions versus impact to the long-term financial viability of the company. To do so, we leverage registry/TLD operator promotions to help drive down the everyday pricing on our web site and to offer promotions from time-to-time. Some registrars take different approaches to pricing such as to offer higher regular (non-promotional) pricing, higher renewal pricing, charging for things like WHOIS privacy, etc., and then offering promotions resulting in a financial loss to drive new business likely thinking they will make their money back in the long run on higher renewals and ancillary services. For us, our approach is to keep our "everyday" pricing as low as possible and to never charge for add-ons (like privacy) so there are fewer surprises and the long-term cost of ownership is more easily understood and consistent. Not to say that other registrars are wrong for their approach, it is just sometimes different than our own.

As this relates to transfer discounts, which has been brought up a few times in this thread, as I noted above, it is far more rare for registries/TLD operators to offer promotions to registrars for transfer, since, as you can likely imagine, registries/TLD operators are not really motivated by Registrants transferring their domains since they get paid the same regardless of which registrar the domain is at. Therefore, without any incentive from registries/TLD operators to offer transfers at discounted pricing, the only way we could do so would be to offer transfers at pricing that would result in losing money on each of those transactions. Similar to other promotions I discussed above for registrations, we occasionally do offer transfer discounts, again looking at the loss of money on those transactions as a marketing/brand loyalty expense... it's just harder to do without additional incentives to lower our cost. Like most businesses across any industry, we try to offer our services at pricing that results in growth and maintaining customers for the long-run, and we are very happy we have been able to do so with NameSilo by growing faster than nearly any registrar since we entered the market about 7 years ago, and doing so profitably so that we can ensure the long-term viability of our company.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded diatribe, but I wanted to address many of the questions related to NameSIlo specifically that have been posed here and also to help shine some light on the relationship between registries, TLD operators and registrars that result in some of the pricing promotions you see from us and other registrars.

•••
Thank you for that interesting insight. I think it is a shame that so much emphasis is placed on price. For me, security of ownership is one of the most important factors in choosing a registrar, and I feel comfortable with Name Silo and their ability to protect my names. It's not worth saving 20 cents to renew your $10,000 name, if 6 months later, the registrar is going to confiscate it.

•••
Now, to help understand why you typically see discounts for new registrations as opposed to transfers/renewals, this is because most registries and TLD operators are interested in increasing the number of domains they have registered and in use. They therefore typically structure their registrar promotional opportunities around increasing the number of new registrations, which therefore means most registrars, including ourselves, structure their promotions around the same thing.

Now this makes sense :) Why registrars offers New-reg promo instead of Transfer promo

•••
@namesilo can you shed some light on your expired auction system? Several of us have posted threads here discusiing it felt it isnt fair to bid, then the previous owner registers it at the last minute. So it isnt an absolute english auction as defined in standard auction rules. Than you in advance for an explanation. Keep up the good work, your company I will continue to use all the time.

•••
Great question above. One thing i dont like about marketplace

•••
Thank you for this! Would love to transfer a large bulk of domains over in one shot. Hoping for a transfer deal soon too!

•••
Its not just them but GD and Dynadot. I posted on 3 threads last few days but do not want change their thread here. Very nice explanation above. Much appreciated they take the time to explain. Their security and interface and ease of batch process use is great.

•••
@namesilo can you shed some light on your expired auction system? Several of us have posted threads here discusiing it felt it isnt fair to bid, then the previous owner registers it at the last minute. So it isnt an absolute english auction as defined in standard auction rules. Than you in advance for an explanation. Keep up the good work, your company I will continue to use all the time.

Hello. Sure, you can find out a lot of the details about our expired domain auctions here:

https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Expired-Domain-Auction-Frequently-Asked-Questions

It is true that some Registrants use the expired domain auctions to try to get an idea on the valuation of their domains. However, I can also report that about 30-50 domains get purchased via our expired domain auctions each day. We try to offer our Registrants the longest possible time in which to keep their domains, and part of this approach is to offer a long grace period for renewal.We understand it can be frustrating to bid on domains that subsequently get renewed, but we also want to allow our Registrants as long as possible to renew so we do our best to strike a balance. As you can imagine, when people lose domains to auction that they would have preferred to keep, we run into frustration on the other side as well. We therefore endeavor to offer the long grace period and send multiple email reminders to Registrants (including notifications when bids are placed) to give them every opportunity to renew domains they mean to keep.

•••
Thank you for this! Would love to transfer a large bulk of domains over in one shot. Hoping for a transfer deal soon too!

We occasionally can offer small discounts for very large transfer orders. We can't guarantee this is always possible as our transfer pricing is already very near our cost.

However, for anybody reading this, please email [email protected] with the following information and we will reply to let you know if a discount is possible. Please just remember we cannot always do so, and even if we can, it would likely only be something like a 1-2% discount:
  • Number of domains
  • Mix of TLDs
  • Preferred/possible methods of payment (credit/debit card, PayPal, AliPay, Skrill, Bitcoin, Dwolla or wire transfer)
Thanks for the consideration!

•••
Thank you for the response, appreciate it. I can understand the theory and realize this, however I do feel the system is abused by domainers. It seems to me that as pointed out by one of your customers on another thread, that you would receive quite a nice additional profit by selling the auctioned name versus, re-reg. I know lower cost customer acquisition and retention is important and that is the end goal in volume, however these truly are not auctions unless the subject item is 100% free and clear offered for sale. I have to disagree about people "losing their domains" due to a variety of reasons are simply bad business people or marginal at best, imho. If I lose a domain, it's my own fault and I take personal responsibility for it. Many people fail to take personal responsibility, and hence why they would complain to your good company as the well operated registry that you are. I have no interest in listening to "the dog ate my homework" excuses for non-renewal after receiving 5 emails. It seems to me that once a domain hits past the 30 day renewal period and enters the pending delete, it should be an absolute. auction. Then the registries control for a 5 more days and an auction or dropped.
I studied the ICANN rules yesterday, and they are ambiguous and leave it open to registry interpretation, so I understand.

You don't pay the electric bill, the power gets shut off. You don't pay the car payment and it gets repossessed. There is a penalty assessed. In these situations, the domainer should receive a fine or lose the name or some financial reason not to game the system. The GD and Dynadot sold called "Auctions" suffer the same problem.

Thanks for responding and keep up the good work, I really enjoy using the simple system and trust NmeSilo for more than 1/2 of my registered names, and will continue to buy more.

•••
Is churn a problem in the industry?

•••
Thank you for the response, appreciate it. I can understand the theory and realize this, however I do feel the system is abused by domainers. It seems to me that as pointed out by one of your customers on another thread, that you would receive quite a nice additional profit by selling the auctioned name versus, re-reg. I know lower cost customer acquisition and retention is important and that is the end goal in volume, however these truly are not auctions unless the subject item is 100% free and clear offered for sale. I have to disagree about people "losing their domains" due to a variety of reasons are simply bad business people or marginal at best, imho. If I lose a domain, it's my own fault and I take personal responsibility for it. Many people fail to take personal responsibility, and hence why they would complain to your good company as the well operated registry that you are. I have no interest in listening to "the dog ate my homework" excuses for non-renewal after receiving 5 emails. It seems to me that once a domain hits past the 30 day renewal period and enters the pending delete, it should be an absolute. auction. Then the registries control for a 5 more days and an auction or dropped.
I studied the ICANN rules yesterday, and they are ambiguous and leave it open to registry interpretation, so I understand.

You don't pay the electric bill, the power gets shut off. You don't pay the car payment and it gets repossessed. There is a penalty assessed. In these situations, the domainer should receive a fine or lose the name or some financial reason not to game the system. The GD and Dynadot sold called "Auctions" suffer the same problem.

Thanks for responding and keep up the good work, I really enjoy using the simple system and trust NmeSilo for more than 1/2 of my registered names, and will continue to buy more.

Thanks, we definitely appreciate the feedback and your point of view (which, as you mentioned is also shared by others). We also believe that renewal of domains on time is the responsibility of the Registrant. Unfortunately, I can also tell you that, even with predominantly positive customer support exchanges, people losing domains they wanted to keep is without question the cause for the most negative interactions that we have had. Despite sending out multiple email reminders, offering multiple methods for auto-renewal payment, offering long grace periods to renew even after expiration, etc., people still get pretty agitated if they lose a domain, and that agitation is many times pointed at us. I'm sure this is not unique to NameSilo of course and is an issue all registrars need to grapple with.

In a perfect world, every registrar would implement the same expiration procedures to help reduce confusion among Registrants. Unfortunately, as there are seemingly as many expiration policies as there are registrars, and we feel compelled to offer a system that tries to offer the best of all worlds to everyone - which of course is not always possible :)

This is an issue that I can tell you is an ongoing topic of conversation within our company. We do understand the drawbacks of the current system in terms of people taking advantage of the system to gauge value, and also to ourselves in terms of lower final bid prices that we could collect. We have always made a guiding value of our company to listen to and respond to feedback that we get so we can always evolve into offering better solutions. This is not just hyperbole with us, and we will use the feedback here to continue to evaluate and improve our expired auctions while balancing the desire to keep as many people happy as possible by continuing to offer what we believe to be a very forgiving expiration process. Thanks again for the feedback.

•••
Hi, just to confirm - i'm not a big hand-reg'er...just learning - can i put these for sale on namesilo immediately and if someone buys them through the site they get them still, right?

There is no 30 or 60 day delay for selling them that way, is there?

Thank you.

•••
Hi, just to confirm - i'm not a big hand-reg'er...just learning - can i put these for sale on namesilo immediately and if someone buys them through the site they get them still, right?

Thank you.
You can push to same place . . . 60 day lock otherwise . . . I think.

•••
The chance of someone buying them in less than 60-days is unlikely regardless of the domains. However, it should push into namesilo account of buyer without issue. Again, the odds of hand-regging then reselling on namesilo so quickly is unlikely. Good Luck.

Thank you.

•••
Thanks, we definitely appreciate the feedback and your point of view (which, as you mentioned is also shared by others). We also believe that renewal of domains on time is the responsibility of the Registrant. Unfortunately, I can also tell you that, even with predominantly positive customer support exchanges, people losing domains they wanted to keep is without question the cause for the most negative interactions that we have had. Despite sending out multiple email reminders, offering multiple methods for auto-renewal payment, offering long grace periods to renew even after expiration, etc., people still get pretty agitated if they lose a domain, and that agitation is many times pointed at us. I'm sure this is not unique to NameSilo of course and is an issue all registrars need to grapple with.

In a perfect world, every registrar would implement the same expiration procedures to help reduce confusion among Registrants. Unfortunately, as there are seemingly as many expiration policies as there are registrars, and we feel compelled to offer a system that tries to offer the best of all worlds to everyone - which of course is not always possible :)

This is an issue that I can tell you is an ongoing topic of conversation within our company. We do understand the drawbacks of the current system in terms of people taking advantage of the system to gauge value, and also to ourselves in terms of lower final bid prices that we could collect. We have always made a guiding value of our company to listen to and respond to feedback that we get so we can always evolve into offering better solutions. This is not just hyperbole with us, and we will use the feedback here to continue to evaluate and improve our expired auctions while balancing the desire to keep as many people happy as possible by continuing to offer what we believe to be a very forgiving expiration process. Thanks again for the feedback.

Thank you for the very comprehensive well written explanations and time to listen and address this query. It's one of the best customer services experiences I have received in recent memory. I would like to add one more thought that somehow slipped my mind previously. When the "auto renew" feature is available, why would any clear thinking, logical, rational business customer (perhaps some customers you refer to are not business minded) have the audacity to complain to namesilo? Autorenew must purposely deselected. There can simply be no excuse then for an errant drop, with a willful deselect with "autorenew" as by default I believe your interface selects that. Which brings me to conclude, that those who do let "accidently" let names expire are in fact doing so willfully and intentionally in bad faith, and or lack funds sufficient for renewal. Correct me if I am wrong, as I had not thought about that writing this previously. Again, much appreciation.

•••

Thank you.

Correct, you can list them on our Marketplace immediately. You can also push domains at any time to other NameSilo accounts. You just can't transfer out to a different registrar for 60 days.

•••
Thank you for the very comprehensive well written explanations and time to listen and address this query. It's one of the best customer services experiences I have received in recent memory. I would like to add one more thought that somehow slipped my mind previously. When the "auto renew" feature is available, why would any clear thinking, logical, rational business customer (perhaps some customers you refer to are not business minded) have the audacity to complain to namesilo? Autorenew must purposely deselected. There can simply be no excuse then for an errant drop, with a willful deselect with "autorenew" as by default I believe your interface selects that. Which brings me to conclude, that those who do let "accidently" let names expire are in fact doing so willfully and intentionally in bad faith, and or lack funds sufficient for renewal. Correct me if I am wrong, as I had not thought about that writing this previously. Again, much appreciation.

Yes, you are entirely correct in what you wrote. However, as you also noted, we have over 100,000 customers and not all are always as pragmatic or accepting of their role to ensure proper renewal of their domains as you may think :)

•••

The annoying part about their auctions is they have nothing to prevent sniping. If you enter a bid in the last second that is higher than the current bid, whether automated bot or manually, you are guaranteed to get the name. The only way to stop someone doing this is to pay the max bid at the start, but some are $1,100-1600 and that maybe too high a price to pay (5L.com brandable for example).

•••
The annoying part about their auctions is they have nothing to prevent sniping. If you enter a bid in the last second that is higher than the current bid, whether automated bot or manually, you are guaranteed to get the name. The only way to stop someone doing this is to pay the max bid at the start, but some are $1,100-1600 and that maybe too high a price to pay (5L.com brandable for example).

Hello, and thanks for the feedback. While we do not currently extend auctions following last minute/second bids, we do have things in place to prevent automated sniping such as a captcha that appears in the last 10 minutes of the auction. Also, regarding the max bids, the price is lowered according to a consistent schedule per the information here:

https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Expired-Domain-Auction-Frequently-Asked-Questions

If your bid is higher than the amount that the schedule would lower the max bid to, then you are locked in as the high bidder at that time.

Hope this helps explain things better, and thanks again for the feedback.

•••

Sniping is another gamey thing also in some platforms, that is another loophole that gets exploited. I do agree that I like platforms that do extend the time out to sufficiently emulate a standard english absolute auction. I just have recently elected to withdraw my participation in auctions where they are not absolute for now. There are plenty of other options. Nothing is perfect, as far as a registry however, I really like namesilo like I have said before.

•••
Just wanted to give you all a quick update... the promo looks like it will go at least another few days... we'll stretch it out as long as we can, and I'll post again when it looks like we can see the end approaching.

•••
Just wanted to give you all a quick update... the promo looks like it will go at least another few days... we'll stretch it out as long as we can, and I'll post again when it looks like we can see the end approaching.
Thanks for always update the news on this post.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back