domains $5,000 on a four day hand registration

NameSilo
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact

Sometimes you just get lucky. Yinan informed me of a four day hand registration sold for $5,000. Once the deal closed it turned out the buyer was the owner of the double hyphenated version of the name. Yinan did not know about the hyphenated version …

Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Rare lucky strike, or (sometimes) insider info.

•••
You'd certainly need the right buyer for that 3 word. Congrats to buyer and seller for rare alignment of word soup stars.

•••
Congrats to the seller - that was a nice sale.

•••
•••
Looks like it was a reg of a recent expire. So it wasnt really a "whim". I've sold many like this.

I did that last month with T/h/e/S/n/a/c/k/G/u/y/s/./c/o/m (sold for $1688)
It was a handreg of a freshly expired name, sold it 8 days later.

The buyers of Yinans name were probably hoping to buy it but did not know how to drop catch it so they waited for it to expire and missed reg'ng it themselves so had to buy from Yinan.

2022-07-30 14_13_18-citysurfpark.com Domain History July 2022 _ HosterStats.com.png

Last edited:
•••
Looks like it was a reg of a recent expire. So it wasnt really a "whim". I've sold many like this.

I did that last month with T/h/e/S/n/a/c/k/G/u/y/s/./c/o/m (sold for $1688)
It was a handreg of a freshly expired name, sold it 8 days later.

The buyers of Yinans name were probably hoping to buy it but did not know how to drop catch it so they waited for it to expire and missed reg'ng it themselves so had to buy from Yinan.
That makes a lot of sense.

There is a conspiracy theory that when people look for a domain, someone goes and registers it because they see what someone is looking for. While this could be true, I suspect in most cases people look for a name, they see it's available, they think nobody will register it, and then think someone registered it because they knew about their search.

•••
That makes a lot of sense.

There is a conspiracy theory that when people look for a domain, someone goes and registers it because they see what someone is looking for. While this could be true, I suspect in most cases people look for a name, they see it's available, they think nobody will register it, and then think someone registered it because they knew about their search.
Two years ago in 2020 I have found a great name ( it was my idea and never registered before) but later (several days) it was registered by godaddy and dropped then catched and dropped and finally i got my idea back in 2022.

Tip: clean your cookies before visiting domainer websites and registrars such as GoDaddy and Namecheap.

IMG_20220801_084802.png

Last edited:
•••
Two years ago in 2020 I have found a great name ( it was my idea and never registered before) but later (several days) it was registered by godaddy and dropped then catched and dropped and finally i got my idea back in 2022.
Sometimes our "ideas" are triggered by something we seen or heard elsewhere (tv, news, movie, radio,etc...). Chances are that someone else was triggered too.

•••
This was actually happening with Network Soltions/moniker.com about 15 years ago. They were exploiting a loophole by which they could purchase a domain and return it within 5 days for a full refund.

So if you used their search tools they would register the domain in the background and then you could only buy it from them (until they dropped it again).

More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_front_running

Incredibly shady stuff, but it was real. I don't think it happens anymore though because now there is a $.20 non-refundable fee.

•••
This was actually happening with Network Soltions/moniker.com about 15 years ago. They were exploiting a loophole by which they could purchase a domain and return it within 5 days for a full refund.

So if you used their search tools they would register the domain in the background and then you could only buy it from them (until they dropped it again).

More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_front_running

Incredibly shady stuff, but it was real. I don't think it happens anymore though because now there is a $.20 non-refundable fee.
https://domaininvesting.com/snapnames-employee-caught-bidding-on-auctions/

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2010/05/snapnames_sues_former_vice_pre.html

A lot of terrible things going on, the selectively giving API access is terrible! The allowing bots with the 5 minute auto extension for hours is horrible. But this is a small industry, if it was any bigger some major players would be locked up for life.

•••
•••
Nice sale. Congratulations...

•••
every domainers dream, not to have to wait 2-5 years for a sale, awesome. Congratulations!

•••
Sometimes we just wondering why it's always someone else that strike the gold and not us.
Then we remember, thats just life...
Life is bullsh*t.

•••
I have sold a domain 1 hour after registration. (Outbound) low $x,xxx

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back