250.00 dollar header contest!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

LikeIsaid

Account Closed
Impact
After much debate we have decided to start a header contest for one of out projects!

The Website is FriendsForFitness.com. It is a fitness website dedicated to helping people find a workout partner.

Contest information

Contest will End July 14th at 5PM CST
First Place will win 250.00 dollars and the right to do more design work for my company!
Second place will get 100 dollars
and Third Place gets 50 Bucks

I would like the header to match the current site as I like the colors that we have! Use your imagination, and good luck. Also winners will be paid via paypal. Thanks and good luck!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Did any of you guys send them PDF's or any originals? If you did I'm just wondering what they said to get you to hand them over. I'd like to learn more from this.

I would guess he is using the design for a different site and you just created an original template for them.

Either that or FriendsForFitness.com was his competitor and he successfully got rid of them.

I would try to track him down and let as many people you can know about him.

•••
Nobody has actually used the very useful tool of trader rating. I say everyone who got their time wasted here should give him a negative trader rating.

Every one of us designers does appreciate the work of the mod's and team leaders. I personally am very happy that the next thread the contest holder open was closed early. I was going to spend a lot of time on that contest.

I would like to offer my suggestion though. My idea is based on what someone else said earlier in this post. It would include the use of two contest sub-forums, one medium risk and one low risk. The medium risk will be open to anyone to post contests. The low risk sub forum would only allow verified contest holders (as in someone who has already held a contest here at namepros). If lack of mod's is a problem I would be happy to help out. Although that may not be fair as I would also like to enter some of the contests.

•••
I think NamePro's should issue a "NamePro's Watermark" that everyone must put on their designs posted here. That way some won't be temped to post something without a watermark to let their design stand out.

•••
Maybe NamePros should use Ben's Idea, but they should have a Image Hoster for Contest , that when you upload the image it applies the Watermark, so that the Contest Holder doesnt steal it. If you post without the Watermark you'll design will be removed by NP Staff.

•••
OurPortfolio said:
Maybe NamePros should use Ben's Idea, but they should have a Image Hoster for Contest , that when you upload the image it applies the Watermark, so that the Contest Holder doesnt steal it. If you post without the Watermark you'll design will be removed by NP Staff.

That's only part of the solution though. Whether or not he can use the actual image, the contest holder can still abuse everyone's time and hard work to steal the design concept itself. Most designs are fairly easy to duplicate once they're created.

•••
I'm strongly considering a restricting theses contests to members with at least a (10) trader rating, just to avoid situations like this again.

FriendsForFitness.com seems to be offline, maybe permanently. There were some great headers posted in this contest. I hope some of them are able to be resold to new buyers.

Oh, and if any of the contest winners in this thread are interested, I do have this member's real name, home address and phone number on file.

•••
-RJ- said:
Oh, and if any of the contest winners in this thread are interested, I do have this member's real name, home address and phone number on file.

Woohoo! Let's all plan a visit together and tattoo the winning design on his forehead. ::: grin :::

•••
-RJ- said:
I'm strongly considering a restricting theses contests to members with at least a (10) trader rating, just to avoid situations like this again.

For those of us with TRs under 10 who are considering contests, how about the "sponsor" PayPaling the prizes to a NP admin ahead of time to act as an escrow? I realize it's an extra responsibility for the admins, but something to consider...

•••
OurPortfolio said:
And you get some warning points, too. Just so that it reminds you to upload it next time.

•••
Gene said:
Woohoo! Let's all plan a visit together and tattoo the winning design on his forehead. ::: grin :::
LMAO.

RJ:
So what about my idea where there is two contest sub forums. One for new contest holders and one for contest holders with a trader rating over a certain point.

•••
RJ, if its anywhere close to MD I can give him a call.

•••
guy sorry to be little rude.. parden me in advance.. but you know various newbie designers.. just put their designs.. here without watermark.. i am again and again telling you.. dont post here your design without watermark.. if its watermarked.. than you are always safe..

you can save your work.. no one else.. check few current contests.. still newbies are posting designs without watermark.. huh

•••
Like Gene said, watermarking is only part of the issue. Yes, watermarking is a good idea, but the concepts and designs can still be stolen.
:(

•••
will, one armed scissor and depthskins: I'm really amazed with the quality of your works - will definitely engage you guys if I'm looking for a designer.

I especially like the one from depthskins - looks uber cool :)

•••
Great. Good to hear someone like my designs. Feel free to contact me anytime.

•••
tolkein said:
will, one armed scissor and depthskins: I'm really amazed with the quality of your works - will definitely engage you guys if I'm looking for a designer.

Hey, Thanx for the kind words ;)

Im always looking for design projects so dont hold back on asking for some work done B-)

Stay Lucid,
One Armed Scissor.

•••
tolkein said:

Thanks for the compliments :) Like most people, I'm always looking for design work so drop me a PM if anyone needs some work done ;)

•••
RJ if you do it based on trader rating then a lot of the designers can't enter, i have entered the majority of design contests and havnt fiven anyone any grief, plus won a lot of competitions but my TR is around 5 or something lol i never rememberto get the clients to use the TR system

•••
l0zo said:
RJ if you do it based on trader rating then a lot of the designers can't enter, i have entered the majority of design contests and havnt fiven anyone any grief, plus won a lot of competitions but my TR is around 5 or something lol i never rememberto get the clients to use the TR system

I'm talking about using the TR system for people to start contests, not to enter them. You'd be fine.

•••
RJ,

That's a good idea, but theres one flaw. How will they be able to get feedback? If they do not hold a contest they can't get feedback to update their TR. In what ways could they get the 10 TR's to be able to create a contest?

•••
Why not set up a contest registration form? Anyone who wishes to hold a contest must complete a special registration form including their full name, address, phone, email, and three trade references of some sort (people they have done business with in the past, from anywhere). All information provided should be made available to anyone participating in the contest so they can verify the info to their own satisfaction. The form would also make it very clear that they are agreeing to pay the winner of the contest in full within X days and that participants have access to their info. Not 100% foolproof, but would weed out most questionable contests.

•••
OurPortfolio said:
If they do not hold a contest they can't get feedback to update their TR. In what ways could they get the 10 TR's to be able to create a contest?

Feedback is not extremely hard to come by in this community and you don't have to hold participate in contests to get feedback. I just don't like the idea that a new member can join here, be unknown to everyone and start a contest with no intention to pay anyone.

How many wasted hours went into this contest? How many more would have been wasted in the $500 contest this guy tried to start? If we don't do something to stop scammers from easily repeating this type of behavior, this could quickly become a problem for our community.

Gene, that's another possible option. I wouldn't really like to have to add the work of verifying references of people they have dealt with before, that's why I was hoping Trader Ratings could serve that purpose. Having a verified address on file is a good idea too.

•••
what if you charge a minimum fee for starting contests, like lets say someone wants to pay 300 bucks for a logo and then you could charge them 5 dollars to hold the contest. And if none of the logos are picked then the 5 bucks could be split among users or something of that sort. That way no one would have wasted thier time

•••
Gene said:
Why not set up a contest registration form? Anyone who wishes to hold a contest must complete a special registration form including their full name, address, phone, email, and three trade references of some sort (people they have done business with in the past, from anywhere). All information provided should be made available to anyone participating in the contest so they can verify the info to their own satisfaction. The form would also make it very clear that they are agreeing to pay the winner of the contest in full within X days and that participants have access to their info. Not 100% foolproof, but would weed out most questionable contests.

This is what I've been suggesting earlier. I think this is a sure way. Only thing is if the agree and all that then violate the agreement...what then? What is the consequence for that?

We should really implement something like it because another thing that's happening is that ppl are starting contest, have u work hard on your peice and then its, "oh I don't think any submission was suited or I don't like any", That's really messed up.

I know ppl should retain their right to not choose a winner but some ppl abuse that also. Come on, great designers in here and a valid contest with over 20 submissions...you can't tell me nothing is of your choice. If you want HIGH quality work...don't come here and trow a contest go to a logo designing site and pay $200-$300 for a logo of your preference. That's my take on that part.

Last edited:
•••
i just got one question.Those of you that have photoshop can put on watermark but, some of us just use paint(i do and i've entered a contest)and with paint there is no way of putting on a watermark sadly

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back