Dynadot

2 months later..is it worth auctioning to test the field?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Yoocandoit

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys

I got into domaining just over 2 months ago, i have a small portfolio of 25 names and basically i have just left them parked to see which ones have the best natural type in traffic.

Inevitably there is a top 5, some of them i expected to reach the top, and a couple have surprised me quite a lot.

We're not talking hundreds or thousands of unique visits, but its enough of a difference to clearly see the top 5 above the others.

Now it's almost been 2 months since i registered them, meaning i can transfer them to any registrar is it worth a punt and putting the top 5 up for auction?

Specifically i want to use Sedo as opposed to Godaddy auction purely because i believe Sedo have a better exposure. With godaddy it's a bit like putting a needle in a haystack in my opinion but of course Sedo auctions come at a premium insertion fee.

What is your own indicators as to whether or not you put a domain up for auction? do you impose yourself a set time between buying a domain and testing the water? or are you more of a go out and get it approach, in that you call up companies or approach third parties who might have a need for a specific domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sedo sucks. I would discourage you from considering them.

•••
•••
Ok, have you had a bad experience with them then?

They are just out of touch with today's market. Their auctions are a joke and their customer service is beyond horrible. Just my experience though.

•••
They are just out of touch with today's market. Their auctions are a joke and their customer service is beyond horrible. Just my experience though.

Do you have any recommendations for a good auction site? I have to say i'm not all too keen on paying 50 euros to auction 5 domains myself. My registrar is Godaddy but as i stated in my initial post, auctioning with Godaddy is a bit like putting a needle ammongst a haystack. I've seen some terrible domains up for auction at Sedo and Godaddy which has left me thinking, is the person who registered that domain mentally retarded? but of course we all think we have the best ones lol

•••

Other options ?

•••
Do you have any recommendations for a good auction site? I have to say i'm not all too keen on paying 50 euros to auction 5 domains myself. My registrar is Godaddy but as i stated in my initial post, auctioning with Godaddy is a bit like putting a needle ammongst a haystack. I've seen some terrible domains up for auction at Sedo and Godaddy which has left me thinking, is the person who registered that domain mentally retarded? but of course we all think we have the best ones lol

Other options ?

I don't recommend auctioning anymore. All the platforms under-perform unless you have something truly amazing.

•••
I don't recommend auctioning anymore. All the platforms under-perform unless you have something truly amazing.

So what you're saying then is really i should get off my backside and do some investigating and approach third parties who might have a need for my domain?

Specifically i concentrate on keyword specific ones which are targeted to a market

•••
So what you're saying then is really i should get off my backside and do some investigating and approach third parties who might have a need for my domain?

Specifically i concentrate on keyword specific ones which are targeted to a market

Exactly.

•••
So looks like im going to be contacting a lot of lock smiths then to sell lockfixers dot com ! haha

•••
There's probably at least 1 in every town. You should be lucky to have so many potential customers :) Besides. An domain auction platform is unlikely to be visited by many locksmiths.

•••
If you get natural traffic offers will come eventually, when they do you can send it to auction without costing you anything, just make sure the price you agree to send it to auction for was at least the minimum price you would accept because at least half my names I sent to auction never went above the starting price.
Joe T

•••

so sedo may not be as bad if they s*ck all

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back