IT.COM

1and1 (ionos) expired domains sold elsewhere?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
by pure chance i noticed something odd today... an org domain of mine 12 days expired, is redirecting to a sedo page for sale.... of someone else...

then an .info domain which expires today, is redirecting also to sedo page... by same seller/owner...

now im not even gonna start thinkin that that sedo seller is somehow 1and1 registrar itself.. trying to sell people's expired domains.... but at same time, i didn't think 1and1 was putting up for expired auuctions people's expired domains... that coupled with fact that the info is just expiring today... it could not have sold anyway yet...

any thoghts on whats going on?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
euh... okay.. so i just checked all other domains whihc are freshly expired... and all go to sedo landers ... all priced with bin!!! various bins too!!

now this is just getting weird.. so do we seriously here have a registrar which basically redirects peoples expired domains to sedo sale lander, prices with various bins? how is that gonna work with people's ability to transfer out of 1and1... their expired names.. up to day i think -10 or -20...
if it sells on sedo prior to that? i mean they guarantee at least 10 day reactivation period....

never seen any registrar do this.. assuming im right here

Last edited:
•••
I bought (2) domains that were from 1and1 (ionos) recently @ SEDO.
Both were under $200 BIN.

I bought one on 12/28. The seller took forever to provide the AUTH code.
When I messaged SEDO this was their response -

Sedo Transfer Agent

Thank you for your message. Please be advised that the seller has informed us due to a lock on the domain, the transfer with the auth code will only be possible from 16 January. Once we receive the code from them, we will update you here so you can start the transfer to your provider. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Hope that is helpful.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
yep.. $200 should be about right from what i see..

the questions are:
can they put them on sedo right after domain expires.. thats day 1.
while they guarantee a 10 day reactivatin period.. and possibly and even longer transfer out period... redempntion period etc... sounds like a bad idea at best... but some may call it something else

•••
yep.. $200 should be about right from what i see..

the questions are:
can they put them on sedo right after domain expires.. thats day 1.
while they guarantee a 10 day reactivatin period.. and possibly and even longer transfer out period... redempntion period etc... sounds like a bad idea at best... but some may call it something else

That might explain why they were locked.

This does seem like a bad idea. I assume SEDO would have to know about it.

The buyer is given no notice that redemption is possible.
It is also annoying as a buyer to have to wait 2-3 weeks for an AUTH code.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
maybe they worked out some deal with sedo where they wont get banned from sedo if they do not deliver a whole bunch domains to buyers cause they get reactivated by previous owners.... or transfered out... or redeemed.. or what not.

just one more reason to put 1and1 on the naughty list i guess.

•••
p.s.. does anyone here know the exact and tested timelines for transfering expired name from 1and1??? im talking assuming you unlock it before it expires (else this won't work)... and that you get auth codes before they expire... i think latest i tried was like -10 days.. but it could be more? also -30 was too long.. cheers.

•••
so i emailed them to confirm... asked whats going on with my just expired domain being for sale on sedo....

response "expired domains go into monetization phase"
lol
what a way to put it

i understand everyone wants to make money.. but seriously... this is a bit weird to me... bin prices on sedo... really? come on.

oh well... i guess thats how its going to go for 1and1... one thing for sure, it'll create many nonsales and wasted time for buyers, cause many people renew or transfer expired domains from 1and1.. but i guess sedo won't be banning 1and1 for incomplete sales... they just do that to domainers like us :)

•••
p,s
speaking of 1and1 and their many problems... be careful about your bill! I get a bill for all activity once per month... and maybe once every two months i get 1 or 2 domains on that bill which I turned off auto renewal on a longtime ago (I turn off auto renew right away on all domains there)... and yet, I still get billed for the renewal of those domains! it happens so often and regularly, that frankly, I have my doubts whether its just an error that keeps repeating.... each time I need to waste time to write to their support and say I got charged for a domain which I didabled auto renewal on long time ago... and each time I Tell them if they need proof of that, then go check my account and the domain is expired and not even in my panel any more.. and yet here I Am with a bill that says that the domain got renewed....

each time they issue refund.

plz be careful with your 1and1 bills! I check mine every month, carefully.

hope this helps.
cheers

•••
1&1 is terrible. I had a customer before that transferred a domain out of 1&1 years ago, and their system did not realize it.

They still thought they had it, and unknown to him were billing him for it. He did not know that until he was sent to the collectors for an amount under $100. So he got a credit ding for a non existing service.

It was eventually fixed, but that is the type of company you are dealing with.

Brad

•••
Both Sedo and 1and1 are under the same owner (United Internet AG).
So most their expires are auctioned on Sedo...

10 days to renew after ED.
Also you can transfer-out within this period (if domain was unlocked prior ED and you exported AUTH codes).

Last 2 years I didn't have any wrong billing where Autorenewal is disabled.

Overall, I use 1and1 over a decade...
mid X,XXX domains regged/transferred-in... Many sold to endusers.

•••
frankly, al those promos across less known registrars etc just aren't worth it in the end... better pay couple dollars more.. have peace of mind and solid service... to me this means dynadot personally.. but over the years, i tried and have accounts on some 15 registrars i think... never again.. for one thing its a lot of extra work to manage it all scattered around... many rules to remmeber about expiry periods renewals, etc....

its really a nice thing to deal with only 1 or 2 registrars max.

i may keep moving aruond between dyna and godaddy... and the latter onyl because most my sales/offers are on godaddy. so its easy moving after sale.

•••
•••
Both Sedo and 1and1 are under the same owner (United Internet AG).
So most their expires are auctioned on Sedo...

10 days to renew after ED.
Also you can transfer-out within this period (if domain was unlocked prior ED and you exported AUTH codes).

Last 2 years I didn't have any wrong billing where Autorenewal is disabled.

Overall, I use 1and1 over a decade...
mid X,XXX domains regged/transferred-in... Many sold to endusers.

happy to hear you have no issues.. my bills with them used to be bigger.. now they are close to nothing.. so its realy easy to spot an extra $20 or so renewal charge on a domain... i had one this month too... it hppens almost every month to me... so often in fact that im basicaly now assuming that it'l happen on each next bill before it comes and that again i'll need to ask for refunds etc.

if you have bigger bills.. in the 100s... for many domains... then 20$ or 40$ will be easy to miss... so guys be careful to check ALL your bills!!! I literally get billed for domain renewals for domains which had autorenew off and are not even in my panel anymore cause they got removed aftr expiry.. and yet I get billed for their renewal!!!

i used to transfer a good few 100s of names there.. lettin most go... down to 200 now.

•••
Also you can disable Autorenewal per multiple domains via https://contract.ionos.com

thanks.. last time this worked for me was like 1 yer ago.. then it stopped on its own.. wrote them few times about it.. they said they'll fix.. never did...

now all I get when I go there and then click the first tab you were refering to is:

Screenshot (3).png

•••
For me it works always...
Browser: Chromium

Probably, they ignore the date in WHOIS...
And actual billing date is when you transferred-in + 1 year = that's why invoice was issued. If Autorenewal wasn't disabled.

Last edited:
•••
For me it works always...
Browser: Chromium

Probably, they ignore the date in WHOIS...
And actual billing date is when you transferred-in + 1 year = that's why invoice was issued. If autorenewal wasn't disabled.

i use chrome... on laptop.. using cloudready OS.. so its a bit like chromebook... but not quite...
cloudready is amazing p.s. if anyone interested.

https://www.neverware.com/freedownload

so i do not think my browser is problem here.. i disable one by one.. its slow... but needs to be done...

Last edited:
•••
Strangely...

I logged in right now to recheck... Works from my 1st attempt...

And I log in to their Contract panel a few times per week regularly... no problems for me...

•••
Recheck if 3rd-party cookies are not disabled...
Also disable your adblocker (if any).

•••
I was just about to consider partaking of their $5 transfer promo but lucky I came across this thread.

and...........NOPE......hell NO! You couldn't pay me to deal with that BS.

I had domains before at 1and1 and I remember it being a nightmare. lost domains in the process.

•••
Back