Dynadot

1and1.com HATER...AAAACCCKK!

NameSilo
Watch
So before I knew anything about anything, I regged a ton of names with 1and1.com. Everytime I reg a name at 1and1.com, I think I'm putting it on my card. Well apparently this is not the case at 1and1.com.

Nearly four months ago, 10/06/06 to be exact, I get an email from 1and1.com that my card had a problem. I looked into it and indeed there was a problem. I could only spend x per day on that particular card. So, I replied for 1and1.com to do exactly that and let me know if there was still a problem. No response. Nothing. I think all is fine and well with the world.

Today I get a collections letter from 1and1.com for every name I have ever bought from 1and1.com! Worse, I go to check out my 1and1.com account...LOCKED! No notice, nothing. I was just in my 1and1.com account last week. No 1and1.com notifications to read, NOTHING!

So I emailed them just now to ask WTF? I hope they respond quicker than four months. I am going to call 1and1.com at this moment too.

Just in case another newbie is drawn in by that 1and1.com low price, don't do it kid! Run! They are evil...evil....imho

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ok lets get some things things straight as usual some info is flat out wrong. Transfers can be done without faxes. The authorization codes arrive pretty quickly after requested. I have told many the same thing & will repeat it again.

If you are into selling names, 1&1 is not the place for you since selling to resellers will be a pain. End users are probably a different story as one of my Sedo sales was a 1&1 name & it went without a hitch in under 3 days from escrow to cash in my hand. However to play it safe for sales overall, 1&1 is not the place for it. I will be moving all my non personal use names out when the 60 days has passed. I am doing this not because I have had problems but to prevent any hiccups in a potential sale.

If you don't want to take chances which is your right, there are a # of other places to register your name & not have any problems. The competition is so good nowadays that you can get good places from alot of easy to deal with dealers. Remember to look & see if you can come across coupon codes to save a few bucks as well.

•••
HBK216, I have to disagree with you from two personal and recent experiences.

I sold two names on ebay a while ago...6 months ago to be exact. I DID have to get my authorization from 1and1.com; I DID have to sign and fax it to them; the transfer DID NOT take place because they muffed it; the end users just got use of the names LAST MONTH.

So, although you assert that these transfer rules are flat out wrong, I give you these personal details to contradict your statement.

So, again...some people have a higher tolerance for sucky service than others. Why even go down the 1and1.com road for ANY SERVICE if you don't have to? There is plenty of good competition out there. Go find it.

•••
I don't know why you had to do that but I'll take your word for it. I haven't had to do that. Personally I don't have a higher tolerance for sucky service, I just haven't gotten any from them. I don't need help with things, I just register my names, make any changes I need & go about my business. I don't use them for hosting or anything else as I like who I am with so no need to mess with a good thing.

I agree with you that there is plenty of good competition out there & suggest people look into them.

•••
I recently tried transferring some names out of 1and1. The .com and .net names transferred just fine - no hassle, no need for an authorization code, no phone calls to 1and1. I then tried two .us names. These require an authorization code, but checking out the FAQ on 1and1 I found out the authorization codes are available from your control panel. Sure enough they were there and the transfer went just fine. I can't speak for everyone but my two transfers went just fine.

When it comes to ccTLDs however, the authorization codes are NOT available on the control panel and I assume one would have to call support :'( to get them. Haven't tried that yet, though.

Also, please don't interpret my experience as an endorsement of 1and1. I am in the process of moving everything I have out of there. If you're planning to resell domains, definitely, definitely stay away from 1and1.

Last edited:
•••
that is useful info fab5...there will always be new domainers who have signed up at 1+1 before joining namepros...the more useful guidance we can give re transferring out of the 1+1 website maze the better. However the most important advice which has been stated before is to transfer out or cancel contracts with no less than 3 months left on original reg.

•••
I have transfered a few names that I've sold out of 1and1.com without much hassle...

However, I have about 200 names with them that will either drop, sell, or transfer within the next month, so look for this thread to be active to say the least...

•••
why did you leave it to the last month? you must be into masochism in a big way! :'(

•••
I've seen a few comments such as "I transferred my domains out of 1&1 no problem". From reading this and other forums it seems a more common problem is people being billed for renewals on domains they transferred out weeks/months ago because they didn't fax anything in to confirm. Does anyone have any experience with this or is it just a myth?

I fall into the category of "unfortunate newbie that jumped right in" and have a lot of domains with 1&1. I can transfer them out I realize, but then I have to pay for the domains all over again with renewal/transfer fees at another registrar. Does anyone know of registrars that will help you out on the rate with bulk transfers and/or even do them FOC without extended the reg period?

Very concerned after reading this thread. I need to go through my list and at least pull out those I really care about, thankfully a lot of them are newbie reg mistakes that I wouldn't renew anyway so will just cancel a month before expiration.

•••
DO NOT USE 1&1 INTERNET SERVICES, INC AKA 1AND1.COM!

:td: DO NOT USE 1&1 INTERNET SERVICES, INC AKA 1AND1.COM! :td:

To those of you who doubt the level of sucky that 1and1.com provides, I present you with the verbatim (sans personal info) exchange I had with them about a transfer gone awry due to their delay in processing it.

1and1.com's sucky billing department woes again... said:
Mr. Reitnour,

Actually, the keyword you speak of is DELAYED; as in 1and1.com delayed my transfer request until the names renewed. I shouldn’t have to pay extra money because the company is too slow to process transfers in a timely manner.

I filed my transfers well in advance of their expiration dates. What would you have me do, lose one month of paid time because I cannot rely on 1and1.com to complete simple online transfers in less time? That is just not fair nor is it right. My Godaddy.com transfers complete within 24-48 hours.

I would like this complaint forwarded up the internal chain of command and reviewed by management. I am willing to pay for the one name that I have left with 1and1.com on this invoice. The remaining names should have a credit issued against this invoice.

By the way, every time this happens to me at 1and1.com, I get about a dozen newbies to run scared from your company by posting our exchanges on a most popular domain name forum. The post I speak of has been dormant for several weeks now and is actually off of the radar right now. That will change if you pursue these erroneous charges. You may laugh but the readership on this on post is nearing 5,000 views and has almost 200 replies. Further, I will notify bankraid.com, which is a site that was created ESPECIALLY to highlight 1and1.com's dubious business practices worldwide.

I appreciate your prompt and agreeable response.

Regards,

Tim Xxxxx

PS. I am also CC'ing the BBB case manager from my last complaint (ID 5FCED-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xx) to show her that my premonition has come to fruition. 1&1 Internet Services, Inc. is trying to charge me unfairly again. She didn't understand why I pressed so hard to have Carlin Chesnet state in his response that 1and1.com would cease unfair business practices. Now maybe it will be clearer now and more action will be taken by the BBB.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 9:08 AM
To: x.com
Subject: C53456670 - 1&1 Internet Inc. Billing Re: FW: Your invoice #351776592 of 08/08/2006

Dear Tim Xxxxx, (Cust: XXXXXX)

Thank you for contacting us.

That's the key word: PENDING. These transfers have not completed as of yet, and since they have renewed prior to the transfer completing, the charges are valid.

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact us.

--
Sincerely
Jim Reitnour
Billing Department
1&1 Internet Inc.

You can also contact us via phone at (877) 300-8316 from 9am till 5pm EST Monday to Friday

> Attention Billing & Support:
>
> The only name that I owe you for on this erroneous invoice is
> X.net. The other three names: X.com,
X.com,
> and X.com have had a pending transfer since 08/03/06, which
was
> well in advance of their expiration date. Would you please correct
your
> billing invoice and resend it to me.
>
> Thank you in advance for your prompt attention to this most sensitive
> matter.
>
> Regards,
> Tim Xxxxxx
>
>
> Cc: [email protected]; [email protected]
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: 1&1 Internet Inc. [mailto:[email protected]]
> Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 4:29 AM
> To: X.com
> Subject: Your invoice #351776592 of 08/08/2006
>
> Dear Tim Xxxxx,
>
> Please find attached the invoice dated 08/08/2006.
>
> This invoice is in pdf electronic format.It can be read with the
Adobe
> Reader, which you can download free of charge from the Adobe website
at
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.
>
> Double click on the attached file to view the invoice and print out a
> hard-copy for your records. The amount shown will be debited from
your
> credit card on file in the next 7 days. Please do NOT send us a
check.
>
> If you have any billing-related questions, please call our billing
> department at 1-877-300-8316 Monday through Friday (except holidays)
9am to
> 5pm EST. We will be happy to help you clear up any questions you may
have,
> as quickly as possible.
>
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Your 1&1 Team

>
>
>

•••
Wll be interesting to see what response you get to that last email.

•••
If you've been screwed by 1and1, please file a complaint with the following organizations:

DC Area Better Business Bureau - http://www.dc.bbb.org/report.html?national=Y&compid=1040770
United States Federal Trade Commission - https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01
PA Attorney General's Office - http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/complaints.aspx?id=451
ICANN/Internic - http://reports.internic.net/cgi/registrars/problem-report.cgi

In most cases the company is listed as:
1 & 1 Internet Inc.
701 Lee Road, Ste 300
Chesterbrook, PA 19087
877-461-2631

Eventually these agencies which are geared towards consumer protection will recognize a trend and take appropriate action.

•••
Wll be interesting to see what response you get to that last email.
I'll post my verbatim response later...to paraphrase, it went like this

We at 1and1.com don't care what the others in the industry does; i.e. the standard. You were screwed when you signed up with us and did not read every byte of the contract. It also says we have first option on your first born son...

midwestone76: Excellent post....

•••
Interesting Thread! About two weeks i did not know what a Domain Name was. I started with Godaddy to get a name for my ebay site and saw people selling "Domain Names" wow what is this..so i just jumped into it. I'm very very glad i found this place. I went looking around for cheaper Domain places.. I found 1and1.com. Basically i skipped anyone without a phone number that i could talk to somebody..well, they had a phone number and i called them and talked with the tech support. I signed up and all the tech support at first spoke very good english. Maybe 3-4 phone calls--no problems--they seemed to answer all my Newbie questions..Great...about $3.00 & change for hosting, 3 free Domains .com's and $5.99 per .com "The home Package" and 60GB space with the package. Free Private if i choose, "the Website Builder!!" which is what really turned me on--FREE and some other good stuff. Then i found they were part of Sedo or Affiliated with them so i thought..o.k. good.

(Before i make a purchase) Question to 1and1 tech support. I'm a newbie and i want to put Arcade Game scripts on to my site..what do i do ect... ect.. speaking good english he tells me no problem-- that i should get the Linux Hosting for doing things like that and i'm set! (i think)-- $5.99 .com, FREE Website builder!, and great tech support!! :hehe: , :bingo: I'm :sold: .

So i go ahead and purchase a MyGameScript with installation..The Script guy asks me for access to the cpanel to install it...He can't get to it. I call 1and1.com and BOOM, uhh uuhh sir, we can't do that, The Website builder won't allow the arcade scripts, third party scripts?? :'( :-/ 8-X :ghost: I sat on the phone with my mouth open dying a slow newbie death.
The same thing happened tyring to put a forum on my website, using their website builder, i was(am) having trouble with that i gave(give) up!--after 4 or 5 tech support calls and one of them was about 2 1/2 hours long of which 75% was bieng put on hold and none of the support spoke good english at all or fixed the problem. One of the tech told me that the forum was limited so i asked if i could download the free phpbb and then put that on the site---nope!..I'm wondering why the first calls were perfect english and the other calls were not?
So my little problems( which may be my fault?? for bieng a newbie) and reading this post is making me think a little more about 1and1.
I believe the people from Sedo post here but i did not see any post concearning clearing any confusion--then again i don't really know what part they play with 1and1, so i'm really too new to say anything concrete about anything but my eyebrowse are beginning to raise :|
:notme: it was 1and1.com.....

•••
Welcome, CHILLY!

I'm sorry you had to experience sucky 1and1.com service. At least you stopped the hemorage at just your one or two names. What out for their billing department. Be sure to cancel or transfer your names out of 1and1.com about a month early. It sucks I know, but at least you won't be charged.

Good luck!

•••
...to round off your summer you could transfer the names to yahoo and then onwards and upwards to regfly.....you will save a few dollars but watch out for spontaneous combustion tremors........

•••
First of all BUMP to all the newbs reading this.

Some of you are saying that faxing forms to cancel domains is no longer necessary. So why does it say this when I try to cancel the domains?

"To activate your cancellation request and complete the process you must access each of the the links listed below. When you click the "Send cancellation activation e-mail" link, an e-mail containing a special link will be forwarded to you to enable you to activate your cancellation request.

In addition, because we require the domain owners' signatures for the selected domains, we have prepared a separate letter for each one of the domains. Below is a list with links to the required form letters. Please access and print out each form letter. The letter must then be completed and sent by fax to the number indicated on the form.

Please note: Your cancellation will not be completed until you have activated your request by accessing this website link to confirm the cancellation request AND the cancellation will only be valid when all of the forms referring to this cancellation order have been received."

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the great heads up (for most people) to bad its to late for me with over 400 names at 1and1. transfer is going to suck!!! I was about to start building some of the names and was going to use them. Any help here would be great sould i use them 4 hosting or not. my first sight is a photo sharing site that is not using any of there tools to build. Now im not sure what i should do help would be great. I must say I have had no trouble with them so far and that does include my billing. I got all the .mobi I pre registered. Can I use another hosting company and keep the name at 1and1 or is that a bad idea? I have my buisness website with omnis for 5yrs and have not had any trouble but 1and1 was cheaper and I fell for it. Any help would be great thanks everyone wish I found this sooner.

•••
If you don't plan on going anywhere for a long time you'll be ok. As for hosting, I'd research that more closely. When I had my initial problems with 8-X 1and1.com 8-X I saw numerous blogs about their sucky hosting too...Goodl luck

•••
1+1 = big mistake

worst domain reg company, worst interface, slow, buggy, bad customer service,

During the free info year (2 years ago) i signed up using a credit card that had since expired, and an alias (fake name, but legit address)....when my year was about to come to an end, i went through their domain cancellation proceedure (why they just can't let the damn names drop i don't know). About 3 months after they should have been deleted i started getting collection notices to my cat (my alias lol :hehe: ) To this day, i'm greatfull that i didn't use my real name, i'm greatfull my CC expired, i'm greatfull to never deal with them again.

The day the cat gets a job will be the day I ever do business with those freaks again.

•••
Isis said:
1+1 = big mistake

worst domain reg company, worst interface, slow, buggy, bad customer service,

During the free info year (2 years ago) i signed up using a credit card that had since expired, and an alias (fake name, but legit address)....when my year was about to come to an end, i went through their domain cancellation proceedure (why they just can't let the damn names drop i don't know). About 3 months after they should have been deleted i started getting collection notices to my cat (my alias lol :hehe: ) To this day, i'm greatfull that i didn't use my real name, i'm greatfull my CC expired, i'm greatfull to never deal with them again.

The day the cat gets a job will be the day I ever do business with those freaks again.

the cat is out of the bag!
I think about now one of the 1+1 clones makes a sober contribution on the thread saying how he is very happy with 1+1, no apparent problems, OK for development blah blah....

•••
Resurrecting this thread once again...

I have finally transferred all of my domains out of 1and1! It took some time and patience but at last it's done. I didn't even have to call support (as there email response is non-existent).

I feel like a giant weight has been lifted.

•••
I am currently using them and I have no problems!

•••
I got about 98% out of them, but they caught me on about a half a dozen. They claimed that 5-7 days was not enough for them to approve the transfer and therefore automatically renewed them. They said they did this as a favor. 8-X 1and1.com 8-X sucks...
thefabfive said:
Resurrecting this thread once again...

I have finally transferred all of my domains out of 1and1! It took some time and patience but at last it's done. I didn't even have to call support (as there email response is non-existent).

I feel like a giant weight has been lifted.

•••
Most of my 1and1 names expire in April, better start now I suppose. Then again, most of my 1and1 names were my "newbie learning experience" and won't be renewed :)

•••
Lasher said:
Most of my 1and1 names expire in April, better start now I suppose. Then again, most of my 1and1 names were my "newbie learning experience" and won't be renewed :)
Yeah, I let go of more than I transferred. Be sure to cancel those you don't plan to keep!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back