Dynadot

discuss 10x Your Money In Domains Or Crypto Currency?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
A lot of domain investors also invest in crypto currency it seems as of late. I usually feel pretty confident that a domain I carefully acquire today will be a 10x+ my investment including holding time. If say, I were to buy bitcoin today, is it feasible that i would get 10x my money?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A bear market is like the typical domains experience - occasional price surges (rare sale) but they slowly fizzle out (as renewals consume any profit from that sale weeks ago).

Bull markets are different - most cryptocurrencies appreciate and some do really well (Chainlink) - kind of like a domain sale that pays for months of renewals.

I put my money on Celer network, i get an impressive 400% return, but also LINK and TEZOS, my 2k is now 11k.

•••
but also LINK
Link bridges the traditional systems to blockchain. Link is the gateway for data on the many blockchains. I absolutely love Link.:xf.grin:

•••
bitcoin price could fall but not domains

•••
When I sell a domain through Godaddy / Afternic I have to wait a week for payment but generally I don't worry too much about the uncertainty of not getting paid. When those funds get transferred to a Paypal account and I make a subsequent transfer to my bank account I generally have to wait till the next business day before the funds clear. But I don't normally concern myself about the timing as funds should clear worst case in a few days. But when I transfer crypto from one wallet to another and I do not receive those funds in a matter of minutes I still wonder if perhaps I made a mistake or maybe the network is congested etc. Strange?

•••
Id say no future for btc. Its all basixally whale manipulation.... it has nothing to do with decentealized

But. Stable coins...now thats cool...already used by tons people...for simple dollar to dollar transactions

•••
You don't buy bitcoin for a 10x right now, but a good altcoin

I think you can still just about buy for a 10x within 2-3 year timeframe but agree will get far higher returns with altcoins. I created a 50 altcoin portfolio back in 2017 and achieved 45x before the market tanked. Not going to try that again but was fun.

•••
BTC is like a blue chip stock and will go somewhere. Institutions are investing in BTC.

The alt coins are more like penny stocks and the vast majority will fail. Institutions are uninterested in alt coins.

•••
BTC and ETH are like blue chip tech stocks i.e. GOOG, AMZN, AAPL etc while Crypto alt coins are more speculative. However, proof of work is not scalable and thus not a long-term solution for high-volume transactions.

•••
Stablecoin cross border payments are set to be worth IRO $30 trillion by 2030. Not bad for shitcoins.

Last edited:
•••
TEZOS (XTZ) and Steller Lumens (XLM) my top two recommendations personally (however, I am not a financial advisor of any kind). My AltCoin Portfolio in the last 3 months have given me upwards of 400% returns off my initial investments. Have been extremely impressed with my AltCoins (**Thanks to BitBoy Cryto on YouTube**)

•••
Tired of jumpy btc
I last bought at 12k
Took chance thinking ita moving up
Next day today its 10.7k
So i decided to trade the little i have for something else for now.. do u think chainlink is going back up or keep falling? I bet tons of people bought it at 20$ ..are now stuck at 13 too

Or do u know of other alts that i can buy to make up for my btc losses...and then some.

Ty

Last edited:
•••
Tired of jumpy btc
I last bought at 12k
Took chance thinking ita moving up
Next day today its 10.7k
So i decided to trade the little i have for something else for now.. do u think chainlink is going back up or keep falling? I bet tons of people bought it at 20$ ..are now stuck at 13 too

Or do u know of other alts that i can buy to make up for my btc losses...and then some.

Ty

I wouldn’t touch Chainlink or even Bitcoin for that matter, not that anyone cares what I think. Algorand is an interesting PPOS network with strong ethics and a good team. It’s scalable and a contender to be a player in the new Global Monetary System.

Scalable POS networks are where the smart cash heading.

DYOR

Last edited:
•••
I feel like Bitcoin is kind of losing its luster. Almost 3 years after this thread was started, the actual use of Bitcoin is still very low.

Between other stores of wealth like gold, other crypto, and investments with superior returns lately like stocks (even though many are grossly inflated at the moment).

It is no longer the new exciting thing and is losing market share to other crypto.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I feel like Bitcoin is kind of losing its luster. Almost 3 years after this thread was started, the actual use of Bitcoin is still very low.

Between other stores of wealth like gold, other crypto, and investments with superior returns lately like stocks (even though many are grossly inflated at the moment).

It is no longer the new exciting thing and is losing market share to other crypto.

Brad

I kind of agree as do many others it appears the general consensus is that Bitcoin will become some kind of a store of value rather than method of payment ..many authorities give much more chance to stable coins as becoming payment methods rather than something like Bitcoin ...like everything else in life Bitcoin only means something because it was the first and the original not because it's the best there is.. it is in fact not even close to being the best..in any way really

•••
BTC is number 1. Just like, AMZN is number 1 in its industry. If you bought AMZN at 3480 today and now it's over 200 points lower of course you'd be tired and thinking (mistakingly) that it lost its luster and so on, but when it hits 3600 someday none of what you thought will matter. Same with bitcoin, when it hits 50,000, that you blew it and traded it at a loss along the way won't help you or make a bit of difference...to you.

Last edited:
•••
BTC is number 1. Just like, AMZN is number 1 in its industry. If you bought AMZN at 3480 today and now it's over 200 points lower of course you'd be tired and thinking (mistakingly) that it lost its luster and so on, but when it hits 3600 someday none of what you thought will matter. Same with bitcoin, when it hits 50,000, that you blew it and traded it at a loss along the way won't help you or make a bit of difference...to you.

It will either go to moon or to nothing...everything inbetween is unfortunately just our opinion... no guarantèes here im afraid.... if i had time machine and 5 mins in future.. a quick peek at btc value would definitely be one of things id look at ... among some others...its really quite fascinating to consider this singular curiosoty...what will btc be in future. Sadly not a soul on earth knows this. Minus maybe the creators etc..depending where yer at with conspiracy theories

Last edited:
•••

Amazon is an actual company. That makes actual revenue.
Bitcoin is an idea. There are no actual fundamentals when it comes to valuation.

The use case was always a key factor, but really nothing much has happened since this thread started.

It has gained little traction in 3 years and has dropped from 12K to barely 10K in the last 2 days.
Something that can move that quickly is not really a credible store of wealth in my view.

All you really have left without the usage is the store of wealth. I think gold though has clearly become a more popular store of wealth due to its long track record and reliable hedge vs inflation.

It might go up, it might go down. No one knows.

I would also be concerned with other cryptos, which are technically superior, eating into their market share as well.

https://decrypt.co/40506/bitcoin-share-crypto-market-cap-lowest-point-year

Brad

Last edited:
•••
A domain name is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it - whether that be TRAVEL.COM or MyTravelAgency.xyz.

Many cryptocurrency exchanges allow leverage which can amplify volatility.

I have heard arguments from mega bulls that one day bitcoin's market cap will surpass that of gold and that Ethereum's market cap will exceed that of bitcoin. Both have fee and scalability issues whose resolution still seems perhaps 3-5 years away.

If we look at network effects, Facebook's recent market cap vs monthly user base comes out to roughly $300 per user while doing the same for PayPal per active account one gets about $700 per account. Recently Dappradar showed Ethereum DEFI and Exchange users around 125k over the last 30 days but it is likely many users of one DEFI dapp or exchange are using others so best case we have 100k DEFI users currently. No doubt the number of DEFI users is growing rapidly but perhaps Chainlink at more than $6 billion and Ethereum at more than $50 billion were a little bit ahead of current usage.

There are a number of ALT coins which are faster and lower fee than BTC and ETH. Perhaps they will find a niche just like .CO and .IO have with tech startups.

•••
Wow finally the stupid alerts started to work on binance maybe it's some new phone update of their app I'm not sure but it sure is beautiful with them and now I know about prices with a beep sure makes a hell of a difference

Last edited:
•••
Can u guys share yer thoughts on yfi and yfii..anyone investing?

I put all i had left on binance into chain link...few days back..fot tired of that whole btc thing...sadly i bought in at 13.xx..... and seeing the mega volatility of yfii ...today... i decided to sell chainlink...with few 100s loss ...and maybe it almost all back in 2 mins..buuying yfii ... ill have to check its past graphs but today yfii was all over... only read one article on it..but appers yfii is hottest thing in china now...so im kinda back even now aftr my few day chainlink trials..

Would love to hear yer thoughta on yfii especially...unless yfi moves in same patterns?

•••
P.s...As I said I'll have to check how yfii was moving before but just to give you an example it moved 3K in 24hours ...that's a lot of movement... is there any other crypto that moves do much nowadsys?

•••
Crypto currencies are volatile so to get better entry points it is best to wait for those inevitable corrections in the market. While I try to take a longer-term view, if a particular crypto goes parabolic like Chainlink did recently it is likely to correct at some point - thus taking a little bit off the table could potentially allow the opportunity to buy back at lower prices. Keep in mind that selling a crypto less than a year after acquisition results in short-term capital gains tax which could nullify the benefit of a potentially lower re-entry price.

•••
•••
•••
As per Robert Kiyosaki, an author of "Rich Dad Poor Dad" and other bestsellers: (just twitted)

ky.jpg

•••
Back