Dynadot

discuss 10x Your Money In Domains Or Crypto Currency?

NameSilo
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
A lot of domain investors also invest in crypto currency it seems as of late. I usually feel pretty confident that a domain I carefully acquire today will be a 10x+ my investment including holding time. If say, I were to buy bitcoin today, is it feasible that i would get 10x my money?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
On first glance your first sentence seems incredibly stupid. Because if you mean to say that no one is buying or selling btc today well of course that’s incredible incorrect. You do have a tendency to say things definitively and with conviction about matters that you have absolutely no personal knowledge. Owned much bitcoin? I don’t think so.

But then I suppose what you mean is that the only ones buying BTC today are those who have owned it previously? In which case your statement isn’t stupid but is naive.

On a given day the traders and algos trading a stock such as say amzn Tsla aapl googL cmg etc etc might have traded it hundreds of thousands if not millions of times before. On a given day when amzn’s stock jumps 100 points, there might not be even one penny of “new money” going into it. And yet it still might jump massively.

Same with BTC. The same guys like you who sat on the sidelines eight years ago when I first start accumulating might continue sitting on the sidelines for eight more years, as the price rockets. Whether you and others put “new money” in or not will not necessarily affect anything. You were absent in 2011 you were absent in 2018 and you’re still absent.

I'll refrain from verbose in this one.

I'll start by saying the example you gave is the most piss poor example I've come across in some time. The large cap ticker symbols you gave are listed on multiple exchanges worldwide, at any given time, funds, family offices, investment groups, dealers, brokers, market-markers etc. are handling and dealing with new money. With or without your knowledge/consent i.e Bank deposits are in the markets instantaneously i.e [Your Money]

Had bitcoin, The difference between yourself and I. You're married to your position and you can't get out. You need to get even - I don't.

If you ever get to exit your position, the rose tinted glasses will follow suit.

Last edited:
•••
Been accumulating and holding btc since 2011. Why would I sell? I’m so far ahead based on average valuation that I have no reason to sell. I’m thinking very long term. I still receive bitcoin from clients if not daily almost weekly. Bring ‘em.

“Get even.” See there you go again proving that you’ll talk about things that you know nothing about.

Look back at some posts of mine and you’ll see screenshots of how often I’d trade over a million worth of GOOGL per trade. Since you ask about the stock market.

For me, until the BTC reaches about $50k per coin it’s not my intent to sell. I never bought a single coin anyway all I have and it adds up to a lot, was and is from clients paying me and still paying me. But still - if I were worried, I’d sell.

You post a lot but I don’t see any evidence of personal knowledge just your saying “in theory” what you think is correct. Still it’s good to know that the average Joe thinks like you it provides perspective. That can be helpful.

I’m not trying to put down your thoughts just saying that’s not the way everyone thinks.

Last edited:
•••
For me, until the BTC reaches about $50k per coin it’s not my intent to sell. I never bought a single coin anyway all I have and it adds up to a lot, was and is from clients paying me and still paying me. But still - if I were worried, I’d sell.

If i were you start exchanging Rapamycin shots for your BTC you may need to add a few decades to your life to fulfill your dream of $50k

If your not worried what's the problem. Keep accumulating there's 17.5 million coins remaining for you.

Still it’s good to know that the average Joe thinks like you it provides perspective. That can be helpful.

I’m not trying to put down your thoughts just saying that’s not the way everyone thinks.

You contradicted yourself in bizarre fashion. Get some rest it's late

•••
•••
Don't forget BTC was recently over $20,000... so not too unrealistic to see it pop over 50k.. I have a few sell orders for above 30k.. ;)

it could also go to ZERO! but it's play money so what the heck!! It's just as risky as investing my domain names.. it could all one day go to ZERO.. Government orders all citizens to hand over their domain names.. ZERO value! YIKES! I'd have no more play money.. :(

Last edited:
•••
Don't forget BTC was recently over $20,000... so not too unrealistic to see it pop over 50k.. I have a few sell orders for above 30k.. ;)

it could also go to ZERO! but it's play money so what the heck!! It's just as risky as investing my domain names.. it could all one day go to ZERO.. Government orders all citizens to hand over their domain names.. ZERO value! YIKES! I'd have no more play money.. :(

I highly doubt it would ever go to zero, Likely will stay under $5k for the next 5-10 years or indefinitely.

Something else will emerge. Why would the marketplace use bitcoin now, Fee's are way to high & network too slow. It's not a abstraction of a real security either. They're better, far better options out there even for investment - Bitcoin has been a very good laboratory rat everybody is grateful for that

Will it be dominant in the next decade with no leader? I rank the likelihood of that 2/10

Last edited:
•••
Keep in mind the value of "momentum." Why does a stock like TSLA keep going? I bought in around 180 and keep holding. All along the way on the various forums naysayers kept pointing out that TSLA was going to lose money on every Model 3, that they had too much debt, superior competition, etc,

All the same sorts of things that some will say against bitcoin.

Keep in mind also the value of "industry leader."

And so...TSLA was there first, and its stock is still above 300, on its way to 400 as surely as bitcoin is on its way back over $20K. And by "surely" I mean...I can see it...others can see it...but naysayers, will never see it.

Why is AMZN, another stock I've held very long term, and continue to trade long all the time quite successfully, over 1600, when it dipped recently to just above 1300? Why will it go back over 2000? Momentum has lot to do with it. Industry leader too.

People who put down something when it has dipped don't always understand how things work. They think, it's down now, it will keep going down, or stay down. When the stock market was at its low in December 2018, all over the various forums including my own I was posting with absolute certainty that it would recover to the same highs of 2018 by March 2019, and now, here we are, I was right. My stock accounts are at personal record levels again, both my long term and my trading.

Last edited:
•••
Keep in mind the value of "momentum." Why does a stock like TSLA keep going? I bought in around 180 and keep holding. All along the way on the various forums naysayers kept pointing out that TSLA was going to lose money on every Model 3, that they had too much debt, superior competition, etc,

All the same sorts of things that some will say against bitcoin.

Keep in mind also the value of "industry leader."

And so...TSLA was there first, and its stock is still above 300, on its way to 400 as surely as bitcoin is on its way back over $20K. And by "surely" I mean...I can see it...others can see it...but naysayers, will never see it.

Why is AMZN, another stock I've held very long term, and continue to trade long all the time quite successfully, over 1600, when it dipped recently to just above 1300? Why will it go back over 2000? Momentum has lot to do with it. Industry leader too.

People who put down something when it has dipped don't always understand how things work. They think, it's down now, it will keep going down, or stay down. When the stock market was at its low in December 2018, all over the various forums including my own I was posting with absolute certainty that it would recover to the same highs of 2018 by March 2019, and now, here we are, I was right. My stock accounts are at personal record levels again, both my long term and my trading.

TSLA has been unprofitable, riddled with debt, little to no cash-flow/reserves for over 3 years. The Chinese bailed musk out. Far too complex of a situation to discuss via forum. Everybody in Macro bet against musk [Epitome of failure from their perspective] with put's and got burned because they made it personal war whilst the general public assumed he was the most successful entrepreneur of our generation. If you were aware of what was really happening at TSLA you would know it was hairline away from winding up.

Link below for the battle of TSLA

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4192506-tesla-bulls-vs-bears

Anyway back on track. On the contrary i enjoy your attempt to challenge me - my only interest is, What is the "truth" you as a investor should know

Positive note for bitcoin holders - Jack will integrate bitcoin into twitter maybe at some-point this year. Very vocal in recent times

https://twitter.com/jack/status/1092965257964806145

Sit back and enjoy the ride

Last edited:
•••
So negative...I'm not saying to buy bitcoins now cuz i wouldn't myself. I have enough from the mining days. Just remember people were calling it tulip scam 2.0 just a few years ago when it was in the low 20s... then it went to 100s.. more scam claims.. then it went to 1000.. went back to 200...more run for your life scam claims.. then it went to 500.....then it went to 1000...then it shot up to 20,000.. now it's 4000... yep.. one of those rollercoaster rides... and i lost track on the point i was trying to make..but yeah bitcoin should not be thought of as an investment... think of it as play money! just like domain names.. play money... u can't touch either.. and it can all be wiped out with one digital signature..

EVERYONE vote for the MTGOX CR!!

TSLA has been unprofitable, riddled with debt, little to no cash-flow/reserves for over 3 years. The Chinese bailed musk out. Far too complex of a situation to discuss via forum. Everybody in Macro bet against musk [Epitome of failure from their perspective] with put's and got burned because they made it personal war whilst the general public assumed he was the most successful entrepreneur of our generation. If you were aware of what was really happening at TSLA you would know it was hairline away from winding up.

Link below for the battle of TSLA

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4192506-tesla-bulls-vs-bears

Anyway back on track. On the contrary i enjoy your attempt to challenge me - my only interest is, What is the "truth" you as a investor should know

Positive note for bitcoin holders - Jack will integrate bitcoin into twitter maybe at some-point this year. Very vocal in recent times

https://twitter.com/jack/status/1092965257964806145

Sit back and enjoy the ride

•••
CRYPTO VS DOMAIN NAMES

Screenshot_20190206-211351_Chrome.jpg

Don't know why every post from a certain member has to mention AMZN.
This is a Crypto vs Domain name thread.
Please stay on topic.

The reason and ONLY reason bitcoin is at $3,400 average is because that's exactly how much it cost to mine.
Once those huge mining corps start turning off those machines BTC will hit the hundreds.

•••
It's risible though, you may always trust this guy with no position whatsoever in bitcoin to come in and make a bearish post every few months. Meantime he keeps churn trading other cryptos misjudging bottoms and won't stop, not until, I suppose, he's lost everything. I mention that only because we're supposed to listen to someone who does that?

Point being, you do what you do, and leave others alone to do what they do. The debate part is natural, and needn't be constricted.

BTW the cost of mining a bitcoin, as of December 2018, was around $4500. and couldn't have done much one way or another since then.
https://www.newsbtc.com/2018/12/04/...around-4000-cost-of-mining-continues-to-drop/

Last edited:
•••
If your an idiot and you're mining in America the cost is $4,500 but if your an educated miner you set up in Asia where it's $1,000 less costly.

Your information and imaginary knowledge are as accurate as your 50k per coin price prediction. Please! Hold your breath.

Screenshot_20190206-221215_Chrome.jpg
mining.jpg

•••
Yes, and it costs $26K to mine one bitcoin in South Korea, but the price of BTC in S Korea isn't $26K any more than the price of BTC is $531. in Venezuela. When you actually own some bitcoin, tell us about that experience whydonchya. In the meantime, all you have is your imagination, since you're holding none.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, and it costs $26K to mine one bitcoin in South Korea, but the price of BTC in S Korea isn't $26K any more than the price of BTC is $531. in Venezuela. When you actually own some bitcoin, tell us about that experience whydonchya. In the meantime, all you have is your imagination, since you're holding none.
You get far too defensive, try as stay calm as it's a simple discussion.

All that matters is what is the "truth" not what position am I married too

Look as I said, if Jack is endorsing bitcoin to 350m active users by all accounts you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
•••
Don't know why every post from a certain member has to mention AMZN.
This is a Crypto vs Domain name thread.
Please stay on topic.
Amen

•••
Screenshot_20190207-082003_Chrome.jpg

Posted November 28 2017 first page.
This is called "Profit" trading, when you actually turn in the green plz post. By your own bragging your so deep in the red the only option you have have right now is a tampon.

•••
So negative...I'm not saying to buy bitcoins now cuz i wouldn't myself. I have enough from the mining days. Just remember people were calling it tulip scam 2.0 just a few years ago when it was in the low 20s... then it went to 100s.. more scam claims.. then it went to 1000.. went back to 200...more run for your life scam claims.. then it went to 500.....then it went to 1000...then it shot up to 20,000.. now it's 4000... yep.. one of those rollercoaster rides... and i lost track on the point i was trying to make..but yeah bitcoin should not be thought of as an investment... think of it as play money! just like domain names.. play money... u can't touch either.. and it can all be wiped out with one digital signature..

EVERYONE vote for the MTGOX CR!!

Exactly. If I’d sold btc at 500 or 1000 I wouldn’t have kept holding to 10000 or 20000. With btc I’m still so far ahead that looking at someone like Sir Drago who is desperately trying to trade garbage like tron to recoup losses has no relevance to my position or actions. Which is why I won’t bother to respond to him until he comes back in a few months with yet another irrelevant post. Back then he contradicted himself so much it became clear that he was holding nothing. We posted some of his contradictory posts and this is probably why no one here takes him seriously. I’m about the only one here who even bothers to respond to Sir Drago’s posts he should be grateful. :xf.laugh:

Same with amzn or aapl. People who aren’t in the long term game say why didn’t you sell amzn at 2050 or aapl at 230. I’ve been holding quite a lot of amzn and aapl since 2006-7 if I didn’t sell at the first (or second or third or fourth or fifth) double of my money, why would I worry or sell now. Even the btc that I received in 2018 or now (I accept and receive btc from clients if not daily at least every few days) when averaged in with my old time btc still puts me far far ahead since I have so many coins from the Olden days.

Long term hodlers of btc like me are so far ahead that we don’t have any incentive to sell anytime soon. This is part of why the prices stay stable. If all btc holders were sweaty nervous traders like Sir Drago the prices would crash daily.

Last edited:
•••
Question: Is now a good time to shore up capital to prepare buy bitcoin below 3k?

•••
I think whatever you do you should be prepared for a long term hold.

•••
I have seen a lot of bitcoin machines that used to be in coffee shops, pizza places, and restaurants now no longer there.

The general public, and a lot of credit card companies probably took a huge hit, as well a lot of credit ratings are going to be screwed for about 7 years. If it ran up again, I don’t think you would get the same follow thru, as people have been burned before. First time nobody knew what it was, or where it was going, or how to even buy it, so they had to have it.

Could a civil war in Venezuela show us why people need to own btc?

To be honest people in North America really don’t need to own bitcoin other than speculation. Other countries with sanctions, and poor political climates definitely do.

You have to ask what will make bitcoin move, it is not going to be from the general public as it did in 2017. There is definite use in crypto in speed, and lower fees.

Charles Lee is a genious as he took a lot of flack for selling all his LTC at the top, all that wealth was lost though from many smaller public holders, and transferred to a single entity, which is not exactly a good thing.

I think most of us here believe in crypto, and blockchain technologies, it’s just we are not there yet, where society, and the people who make money off slow payments, overdraft, and interest don’t see any need for changing the way things are done.

Last edited:
•••
Here is a copy and paste from a "Hodler"

QUOTE:
Keep asking my self why I dint sell my all my coins in Dec / 2017

I start with $50k capital back to 2013

by Dec / 2017 it turn out to be $12,000,000.00 ! Fuck!!

Due to greedy, stupid, and overconfident, I won't sell it.

Still have the opportunity to sell all of them in Jan/Feb, receive like few M instead of 12m.

But you know what? Yet still I din't sell it.

Few months later, here i'am, left with only $xxxk+ :/ still in profits mode.

But man, with $12m I can do many things like buying bunch of bungalow house (cash), lambo, finished house loan etc..

Well, shit happens
p/s stress relief thread
END QUOTE

You can be a imaginary hodler like xyznames or you can take your profits and move on to the next investment opportunity.
The reason I come here once a month is... I can afford to. lol

P.s that quote is from another forum so if you what the link you must PM me for it or use Google search.

•••
well the old saying to quit while yer ahead is generally one that works in most life situations

•••
I think most of us here believe in crypto, and blockchain technologies, it’s just we are not there yet, where society, and the people who make money off slow payments, overdraft, and interest don’t see any need for changing the way things are done.

The way I got into it was people offered to pay me in bitcoin, clients, including internet clients. Since it was irreversible, I just said, sure. That's the reason I accepted it in the beginning, because with internet clients an irreversible form of payment to me sounded appealing. They kept paying me, going back over 8 years now, and I just kept holding it. I still accept it and don't sell it. If I'd accepted cash all along the way, assuming I saved the cash and didn't spend it, still the total sum of the cash received would be FAR less than the value of the BTC is now.

I still believe in it long term, and most every day, or every few days anyway, another client wants to pay me in BTC, and I say, bring 'em! And I hold all those coins along with the old ones too. Only difference is that back then, when someone paid me it was like, five or ten coins or a lot more. Now it's a fraction of a coin, or just one coin, or two. The highest payment I received via btc in one shot was ten grand or so (in dollars). These aren't big clients paying me in BTC, more like small tasks clients. But it adds up to a lot. Been hodling it all!

Last edited:
•••
Here is a copy and paste from a "Hodler"

QUOTE:
Keep asking my self why I dint sell my all my coins in Dec / 2017

I start with $50k capital back to 2013

by Dec / 2017 it turn out to be $12,000,000.00 ! f*ck!!

Due to greedy, stupid, and overconfident, I won't sell it.

Still have the opportunity to sell all of them in Jan/Feb, receive like few M instead of 12m.

But you know what? Yet still I din't sell it.

Few months later, here i'am, left with only $xxxk+ :/ still in profits mode.

But man, with $12m I can do many things like buying bunch of bungalow house (cash), lambo, finished house loan etc..

Well, sh*t happens
p/s stress relief thread
END QUOTE

You can be a imaginary hodler like xyznames or you can take your profits and move on to the next investment opportunity.
The reason I come here once a month is... I can afford to. lol

P.s that quote is from another forum so if you what the link you must PM me for it or use Google search.
A great read thank you, I would think most would quit once they cross into 8 figures, but to be honest with all the hype nobody ever wanted the party to end, as they never do. This guy should have taken the hot girl, and snuck out the back for sure. This is going to haunt him for the rest of his life. Downside oh I could have made $20M instead of $12M?

To be honest there was just to many ICO’s, to many coins, it became a liquidity issue as people were over leveraged, and any hiccup would take many out. The ones who were founders knew they were giving no equity, no assets, the only liquidity was the function of the coin, which for many were not even adopted for their given consumer uses as of yet.

•••
well the old saying to quit while yer ahead is generally one that works in most life situations

How much ahead ? :xf.wink: That's the question....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back