Dynadot

$1 .COM, .NET, .ORG & .CA transfers - Rebel.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nick

Top Member
Impact
Not sure if this is old news, but it's new to me. I stumbled on this because I bought a domain from someone and needed an account to receive by push:

$1 to transfer up to 20 .COM, .NET, .ORG or .CA domains to Rebel.com.

I just transferred 10 over and plan to do 10 more later. Total cost for 10 was $12 (including a $00.20 ICANN fee). For what it's worth, I also had to call in because I had some questions and their phone support answered almost immediately and was pretty helpful. I like their site's UI, too. Might have to consider using them more.

Untitled-1445983159-671.png

https://www.rebel.com/DomainTransfer.aspx

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Steve Dufresne No way to turn off auto-renew is just crazy!
I can understand it from a business point of view to hide it a little or make it hard to find.
But giving no way to turn it off at all (accept for contacting support), that's just unacceptable!
You should talk to your developers and sort this out asap, a simple on/off switch would end all anger.

•••
@mvdv I respect your opinion on the matter and will take it into upcoming meetings. Cheers.

•••
@alcy Again, our main customer base are customers with 1 to 2 domains. They typically don't work on the auto renew model and are not domain professionals like we find here. Most of them are actually purchasing domains for the first time. We do recognize how, what we believe is a simplification of the domain cycle for the less initiated, does impact you. I can get you in contact with our account managers to restore the typical auto renew toggle on your account. Control them how you like. :)

•••
@Steve Dufresne Rebel.com really needs to step up. Hiding behind "our main customer base have 1 to 2 domains" is a weak excuse.

Oh and guess what I just receive an email that my domain has been renewed, even though my Credit Card on file was expired, and I deliberately did not update it, so you would not be able to charge me anymore! After logging into the admin panel, I noticed YOU updated my Credit Card information, that is truly unacceptable! Expect an angry email.. I'll be transferring out the remaining domains I want to keep.

Worst customer experience ever.

•••
@alcy Again, our main customer base are customers with 1 to 2 domains. They typically don't work on the auto renew model and are not domain professionals like we find here. Most of them are actually purchasing domains for the first time. We do recognize how, what we believe is a simplification of the domain cycle for the less initiated, does impact you. I can get you in contact with our account managers to restore the typical auto renew toggle on your account. Control them how you like. :)

okay, it was a simple question. not crtiticism.
obviously to have it default to autorenew and not offer client option to change it online onsite manually, is not a good idea.

the ideal is to do like eveyrone else around you and just put an icon to toggle autorenew on off.
however, what you just did now (if I understood your explanation well) and modified default from on to off, is still a step in right direction imo

thanks

•••
@Steve Dufresne Rebel.com really needs to step up. Hiding behind "our main customer base have 1 to 2 domains" is a weak excuse.

Oh and guess what I just receive an email that my domain has been renewed, even though my Credit Card on file was expired, and I deliberately did not update it, so you would not be able to charge me anymore! After logging into the admin panel, I noticed YOU updated my Credit Card information, that is truly unacceptable! Expect an angry email.. I'll be transferring out the remaining domains I want to keep.

Worst customer experience ever.

@mvdv Check for a Direct Message.

•••
1-2 domain customer base? Sounds like I have to many names there.
You have no manual approval for transfers.
You can't turn auto renew on/off.
I think I contacted support and had it turned auto renew off, but transfers in etc I cant remember.
Other day i transferred 4 .ca names to rebel from godaddy.
Put my order in, and couple days later it was complete. No accept/decline from godaddy, don't think I even got email from you to start things. What's with that??

so what we have to do? contact support to put in a toggle switch, or ask them to turn auto off?

•••
•••
Just had to deal with this same situation where my credit card got charged for domains 43 days before expiring. One thing I've found and the service rep confirmed, they do not renew your domain until the eve of the expiry date, which means they get the your money in advance and does nothing for 43 days.

Also if you look at your dashboard, it shows the domain with an extra year added to the expiry date once the payment is made but WHOIS shows it has not been renewed. This is very misleading as they're trying to make you think that your money has applied to renewing the domain but obviously the domain has not been renewed yet. The service rep did not answer me back after I pointed that out to him and asked him to refund my money as I'm going to transfer the domains out.

They just lost me as a customer. Will be moving all my domains away from Rebel.com and I hope everyone will do the same as this business practice is unethical

Last edited:
•••
•••
right on - I just checked my account and the cc they have on file is from an account I have since closed, good luck for them to charge that! I was waiting for a deal this weekend to "rescue" my former $4 transfers out, but I have til March, knowing already that they try to renew super early, like 45 days in advance, actual dates are late May 2017

Their control panel drives me wonky anyway, so they proly has no chance of me staying even without the billing shenanigans

•••
@usernamex Had no problems transfering out, though... You can't approve outgoing transfers from the control panel, but emailing them does the trick and was quite fast.

•••
When you transfer in, it mentions that auto-renew is automatically applied.

I requested support to turn off auto-renew for my domains, and they did it. Transfers away went smoothly.

Domainers using the Merry-Go-Round transfer strategy... year after year... from one registrar to the next... are a special bunch. Hell, they may not even know how many registrars they are signed up with! So much fun to be had in this process. :D

•••
When you transfer in, it mentions that auto-renew is automatically applied.

I requested support to turn off auto-renew for my domains, and they did it. Transfers away went smoothly.

Domainers using the Merry-Go-Round transfer strategy... year after year... from one registrar to the next... are a special bunch. Hell, they may not even know how many registrars they are signed up with! So much fun to be had in this process. :D

They also renewed one of my domain which I wanted to transfer away. Had to ask them to cancel renewal and refund.

•••
so if i got it right - rebel.com are bad guys?

•••
30 names there never an issue
Control panel sucks.
I emailed them as i had used my 10 .ca discount promo
They gave me 10 more at discount
Yes, auto renew is turned off after i read about that issue here at namepros.

•••

My experience with them has been great to be very honest. Support is helpful. I can't say otheriwse.

There are some things that they could implement to cater for domainers and that would keep all of us happy.

They are trying their best, and I would have to say they are good guys.

•••

you gotta call them to get rid of auto renewal.
its smooth sailing all the way if you do that

•••
you gotta call them to get rid of auto renewal.
its smooth sailing all the way if you do that
oooh, it sounds just like 1&1.com last year.... they invented some "jokes" this summer, like: "we do not host domains that cannot be registered with us", "you can disable auto-renew but we do not care about it until you call us" ecc...

•••
oooh, it sounds just like 1&1.com last year.... they invented some "jokes" this summer, like: "we do not host domains that cannot be registered with us", "you can disable auto-renew but we do not care about it until you call us" ecc...

Nope. You can email them, and they'll do it. It's simple. They'll turn it off.

•••
If a registrar charges renewal for a domain that is no longer with 'em, I'm gone in a split-second.

•••
Unbelievable, there is no way to get your transfer authorization codes. You have to talk to a Rebel support staff just to ask them to hand over the transfer codes.

There's a link on the control panel, but it doesn't work. OMG.

•••
Unbelievable, there is no way to get your transfer authorization codes. You have to talk to a Rebel support staff just to ask them to hand over the transfer codes.

There's a link on the control panel, but it doesn't work. OMG.

It actually does work. You just have to click the link like 10 times. For whatever reason.

•••
•••
That has been my experience, yes.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back