IT.COM

What's the best appraisal site to use?

NameSilo
Watch

JeffPratt

Established Member
Impact
Is there a site that is better than the other at appraising domain names?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
auto appraisal is useless....in fact i believe "appraisal" is kind of pointless...value of a domain depends upon the BUYER only....

anyway you can try

estibot.com or valuate.com
for auto appraisal

•••
See I have tried estibot and valuate both. This is an example of what happened. I entered the domain name in valute first and it come back with an appraisal of $70 then tried the same domain in estibot and it came back with $2500. Little confused on how they get their numbers.

•••
See I have tried estibot and valuate both. This is an example of what happened. I entered the domain name in valute first and it come back with an appraisal of $70 then tried the same domain in estibot and it came back with $2500. Little confused on how they get their numbers.

estibot and valuate both use the same exact data and should have given you the same exact price.

•••
•••
logo-60.gif

Yours Truly,
3D

Last edited:
•••
Little confused on how they get their numbers.

Imagine how you would build an automated domain appraisal site. Especially how the domain that inputed is not in your dated base for a prior sale.

Then throw in that if you gave people the true hammer auction price of a name ($0) how it would piss people off and they would not return to use your site again.

You will then start to understand why people dont even use those sites

•••
At the end of the day, the best appraisal you will EVER get is a viable purchase offer. A domain is ONLY worth what a buyer is willing to pay or you are able to convince them it's worth in your sales presentation. Actual offers to purchase will be the most accurate appraisal you'll ever get.

Keep in mind that 100% of all the automated appraisal sites don't compensate for hot trends, economy crisis, industry shifts, targeted Geo country usage of cctld's, market saturation, supply and demand, etc... Because of this, it renders an automated appraisal void and inconclusive.

Even human appraisals vary greatly since each domainer / appraiser has a different valuing system based on their own niches / experience. Each providing a totally different personal opinion of value.

With the above in mind, it brings us once again back to viable purchase offers being the most accurate appraisal. :)

Eric Lyon

•••

this is interesting....estibot and valuate are same....actually valuate is using estibot's API...so you should have got same figure....

and once again appraisals are good enough or not useful.....

•••
•••
•••
•••
Any automated appraisal is rubbish.
Using appraisal sites, even paid services/human appraisals is no different than consulting with a fortuneteller.

And even an appraisal from an experienced domainer has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Your domain may realistically be worth $$$ but there is no certainty a buyer will ever show up... So I always consider the 'likelihood' factor.

An appraisal is always a theoretical value.

In fact there is no shortage of decent domains, yet few will ever sell. It's not just enough for a domain to be decent, it has to be great. There will be flukes of course, but it's important to understand not all domains are equal.

•••
•••
•••
Is there a site that is better than the other at appraising domain names?
If you feel you have a good domain name, market the hell out of it if you are selling it,
target the end-user and they will let you know what it is worth. You must have an idea in your head
an unrealistic asking price gets you no nibbles, then lower it :tu:

Yes, but just be prepared for the $0 - $19 appraisals from the two guys that live there ;)

Who are they?

Shirley you can't be serious?

;)

Who's Shirley?

•••
•••
With the 'estibot and valuate are one in the same' thing: Both will NOT always give you the same figures. The 2 are 'the same' but sometimes, estibot (and/or valuate) will look at your domain & fail to separate it properly. ie Sometimes tomato.com would be seen as 'Tom At O .com" This really will affect how your domain is appraised. At least for me, it always had.

•••
$0 appraisals are given to crap names... I guess we can all play stupid and say a $0 is unfair, or accept that the name is sh!t to begin with.

Care to share those $0 names here?

If anybody is complaining about NP Appraisal section, why go there? You clearly wasting your time and our time... especially since you know better and believe your name is worth trillions.

Don't talk down a free service (other members valuable time) just because you not hearing what you had dreamed the previous night.

I think it's disrespectful and ungrateful behavior.

;)

•••
$0 appraisals are given to crap names... I guess we can all play stupid and say a $0 is unfair, or accept that the name is sh!t to begin with.

Care to share those $0 names here?

If anybody is complaining about NP Appraisal section, why go there? You clearly wasting your time and our time... especially since you know better and believe your name is worth trillions.

Don't talk down a free service (other members valuable time) just because you not hearing what you had dreamed the previous night.

I think it's disrespectful and ungrateful behavior.

;)

I have always respected what you have to say 3D but I disagree with you on a few things.

I have given appraisals and when I do I take them very serious and spend some time doing some research like looking for comps, using keyword tool, finding similar sites ect ect.
I wasn't so much questioning the value that was given but the factors that determined the value.

I dont just shoot from the hip and give a quick $0 to a name as an example just because and only because it is a Hyphenated name or just because you dont like hyphenated domains as a recent appraiser pointed out.
If you dont like hyphenated names that's fine but that imho should never be used as the only basis for a your appraisal.

Appraisals should be taken very seriously and if you are only going to base them on a single factor then I dont think you should be giving appraisals in the first place.
You are also just wasting someones time.
The disrespectful behavior can work both ways.

An appraisal is more then just a quick opinion, in order to try and determine the value of a domain property you need to use more then just one factor and you should never base the value just because you like it or not, there can still be value even if you dont like the name.

I also dont believe an appraiser should have free pass to say what ever they like without the person asking for an appraisal not being able to debate the factors of the appraisal.

I mean we are calling them appraisals but maybe we should just change the title of that part of the forum to Opinions instead of Appraisals.

I get that its a free service and I know you get what you pay for but that's not to say people shouldn't take it very seriously and not just give drive by appraisals.
:imho:

•••
I have always respected what you have to say 3D but I disagree with you on a few things.

Thank you Lennco :great:-, and I am sorry if it came across as being directed to you... it was more the member who posted directly below you. :)

Newbies who don't like appraisals they get for say whatever.co because it is actually terrible, and and top of it, a freakin' dot co! This newbie will go about trashing other members domains. It's happened.

Newbies who don't like to hear the truth, lash out at the help, insulting them. It's happened.

And the problem becomes worse when we overlook "innocent" comments from newbies to the OP of the appraisal thread like, "oh, don't listen to them . they don't know what they talking about :hehe: Your name is worth $x,xxx. I like it. Nice name, I can't believe I didn't register it"

Now whose appraisal is the OP gonna like more? But what is truly beneficial for the OP?

It also sets a tone of "These guys are stupid." And then the insulting comes soon after.

This is the gripe I have with that section in general and try my best to stay away-when I can.

I have given appraisals and when I do I take them very serious and spend some time doing some research like looking for comps, using keyword tool, finding similar sites ect ect.
I wasn't so much questioning the value that was given but the factors that determined the value.

I agree. If you are giving an appraisal, it must have substance. Not a quick guess. Research, as you say, does bring about a better appraisal. And it's true-many here at NP are not doing all their research. There is room for improvement.

I have always given reasoning for my appraisals-as best as I can to back up my appraisal.

If I am unable to give an explanation, I refrain from appraising. What will $567, or $4 mean then? Nothing

If you dont like hyphenated names that's fine but that imho should never be used as the only basis for a your appraisal.

I agree. If the person has no knowledge regarding a particular kind of domain or its sales because he/she does not like it- it's just a bad reason to base an appraisal on.

You are also just wasting someones time.
The disrespectful behavior can work both ways.

That is true. But my concern is the level of rudeness in that section. Eric even had to close a thread because the OP decided to insult members and took that thread into whole other direction.

I also dont believe an appraiser should have free pass to say what ever they like without the person asking for an appraisal not being able to debate the factors of the appraisal.

Debating is good. The process itself should be educational for the OP and for those reading the thread.

I get that its a free service and I know you get what you pay for but that's not to say people shouldn't take it very seriously and not just give drive by appraisals.
:imho:

Agreed. :)

•••
Thanks 3d, Good post :great:

I agree with everything you said.
A good debate is always healthy.
Anyone who can debate an issue with an open mind can learn as well as teach :)

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

Who are they?

Hey johname, just to let you know I wasn't refereeing to you. :)

•••
I've heard ppl in the NP appraisals section get pissed because they don't like how a person appraises. I've had that happen a billion ties ie some clueless noob saying, "So Archangel, you give $0 to everything! You're a sucky appraiser. DON'T ATTEMPT TO APPRAISE IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO APPRAISE A DOMAIN!" And this is after I'd appraise a bunch of shitty domains for $0/regfee. Things are what they are, grasshoppers, If your domain is hit, you'll be called n it--if you request an appraisal. Don't bitch and cry because we professionals don't give out unrealistic appraisals to things that aren't worth a dollar.

Concerning estibot, I just stumbled across this. You might find it interesting http://www.thedomains.com/2012/11/02/marchexs-sales-prove-it-estibot-appraisals-are-worthless/

•••
freaking dot .co :lol:

september 2012

rocket.co sold 16k sedo
roads.co sold 6.666$ sedo
badger.co sold 1.000$ sedo
tnc.co sold 1.500 sedo
cruises.co 82.500$ private
cinema.co sold 13.000$ sedo
ishot.co sold 4.000$ afternic
need.co sold 5.000 sedo
esl.co sold 3.870 sedo
dmz.co sold 1.250 sedo
odp.co sold 1.200 afternic

and so on...freaking .co :bah:

after i sell this domain on auction, i'm moving to sedo, and will not be here anymore, got nothing to learn here...or to learn every other's people idea values 0$ or reg fee :hearts:

Well, in all fairness single word .co's can be great, its the double, triple and everything else like BestSeattleBroker.co that is not worth anything.

Sorry to see you go, there is a lot to learn here at NP even if you do butt heads sometimes.

•••
Back