IT.COM

Yyy.com , hes.com , exw.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi, i am pretty new in this business and thought that there are a lot of good flips on 3 letter domain names. I took a look at Sedo's auction today
and have seen 3 domains at 3 different prices. I was just wondering, HES.com I might think is better then YYY.com but its $8000 cheaper, is that because YYY.com has the same 3 letters or has some other meaning? And EXW.com is only $3101 !!! IS it bad because of the X letter or something. Can anyone tell me if there is a certain guide to buy better names and what letters to choose. Thanks for your time.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Firstly, it can always be tricky to value domains (especially on a popular auction site on Sedo) since end users might be interested in the domain, thus pushing their prices higher than the reseller (domainer) prices we are used to.

But yeah, whilst HES.com is a great domain, I guess that some people might prefer YYY.com due to its rarity - i.e. there are 17,576 LLL.coms, but only 26 ones which have all the same letter (whilst there are 2,205 different CVC.com domains)

Personally I prefer HES.com (more brandable, looks better), but I can fully understand *why* YYY.com might be more valuable.

And regarding EXW.com - I haven't done any research on it, but on the face of it I'd imagine that it's only at $3k since it doesn't look that good (IMO), isn't as brandable as the other 2, is harder to remember, etc.

As for the guide - I'd suggest just browsing the sale forums and Sedo, asking questions (like you are now :)) and with experience you'll start to learn about domain values.

Last edited:
•••
Firstly, it can always be tricky to value domains (especially on a popular auction site on Sedo) since end users might be interested in the domain, thus pushing their prices higher than the reseller (domainer) prices we are used to.

But yeah, whilst HES.com is a great domain, I guess that some people might prefer YYY.com due to its rarity - i.e. there are 17,576 LLL.coms, but only 26 ones which have all the same letter (whilst there are 2,205 different CVC.com domains)

Personally I prefer HES.com (more brandable, looks better), but I can fully understand *why* YYY.com might be more valuable.

And regarding EXW.com - I haven't done any research on it, but on the face of it I'd imagine that it's only at $3k since it doesn't look that good (IMO), isn't as brandable as the other 2, is harder to remember, etc.

As for the guide - I'd suggest just browsing the sale forums and Sedo, asking questions (like you are now :)) and with experience you'll start to learn about domain values.

Thanks for the info. Do you think YYY.com is worth $20000 or can it be sold for more later on?

•••
Why, why, why??!

It is a very brandable as a answers site, I believe this could push up the price greatly if you can pull it off.

And asking if it can be sold for more is the great gamble, and one reason why it is probably better not to ask and simply use your own judgment...I myself could easily simply take it if I thought it was worth it and you wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

If something like computermice.com being sold on godaddy auctions for $10 and someone asked if it was a good idea, I would not hesitate to take it for myself, harsh but then again most lessons in life are.

•••
No, a domain or website is not worth "This" or "That". For Me it is worth "This", for You it is worth "That", and for other people it is worth whatever they believe it is worth. Value by itself does not exist. Appraisals are estimations, opinions, based upon personal (subjective) preferences. Of course, the more we can get, the better ...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back