Dynadot

What size pictures should I use for a website?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I am going to download some pictures from Dreamstime.com for my website and they give too many options. They range from extra small to extra large with varying pixel sizes and dpi. Any one I download will most likely need to be resized. Does one load slower or faster, or more clearer. Which one should I choose and why?

Extra small is 480x320 pixels / 6.7" x 4.4" @72 dpi

Medium is 2121x1414 pixels / 7.1" x 4.7" @300 dpi

Thanks for any answers - Bob

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Don't use any photos that are too big for loading issues. It also depends on what you are using the pics for.
If you want people to view the full size photos, then use the extra small for a thumbnail and anchor it to open the full size in a new window.

Thanks
Steve

•••
The higher the pixels and higher the dpi, the larger the file will be (meaning the longer it will take to load and slower it will be).

if you want the user to see the high quality versions, get the medium size, but use thumbnails so that users can individually click on them to load it.

•••
Thanks nasaboy007 and sjkstone. rep added. I suppose I could also try one picture of each size and experiment. - Bob

•••
The web only shows 72DPI, so you might want to consider that when putting up the larger pictures, as they will be a lot bigger in size with the higher DPI, unless you are specifically letting people download them to print.

•••
Larger file means taking more and more time to download. In many countries people are using limited connectivity or slow internet as well. So you should consider all the relevant details and factors before selecting the size of photos.

•••
sjkstone said:
Don't use any photos that are too big for loading issues. It also depends on what you are using the pics for.
If you want people to view the full size photos, then use the extra small for a thumbnail and anchor it to open the full size in a new window.

What is the general rule for size? I'm not sure what would be too big or too small, as I can only view it from my own browser.

•••
I have stuck to under 100kb per picture and under 500kb in pictures per page. Eg. if you have 3 pictures on your page try and stick to less than 100kb per pic while if you have 10 pictures on your page try to stick to under 50kb per pic (average). I'm sure others will have other ideas but this is what has worked well for me in keeping pages loading relatively fast.

•••
Just go as per the space available and it should look like photo as the part of your contain not photo is your contain only.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back