Dynadot

Frozen Wave Phenomenon on Lake Huron

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Frozen Wave Phenomenon

Someone sent me a link to this a moment ago, and I was amazed.
It's a "frozen wave". Simply breathtaking.

Michigan has had the coldest winter in decades. Water expands to freeze, and at Macinaw City the water in Lake Huron below the surface ice was supercooled. It expanded to break through the surface ice and froze into this incredible wave.

This wave phenomena is seen in Antarctica, but in Michigan? Yes, it's been quite a winter!

1.jpg

4.jpg

Beautiful eh?
Mother Nature has a creative eye. :)

[Full link and more pictures]
[Even more photos]

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
That may be a hoax, but I can recall walking along huge ice structures on Lake Ontario as a kid.. a wave won't freeze like that but you get ice piling up along the frozen edge many yards out.

•••
Wow. ;o
Did think it looked a bit photoshopped.
Still, amazing, and it does occur in some places.

The Arctic is indeed a very stunning place.
Who would of thought such desolation contained such beauty?

Joe

•••
It's not photoshopped... the photos are real. The 'hoax' part is the description. They are not waves that froze... see the whole story at the link above from nstalk.

dgridley said:
That may be a hoax, but I can recall walking along huge ice structures on Lake Ontario as a kid.. a wave won't freeze like that but you get ice piling up along the frozen edge many yards out.
Dave... I can back you up on that. I walk along Lake Ontario every morning. There are some amazing ice formations we see every year. Some of the formations we call "snowcanos" because they are like volcanos formed out of ice and the underlying water splashes out of them. Where abouts on Lake Ontario were you?

•••
Lived in Rochester, NY over 30 years..

Gene said:
Where abouts on Lake Ontario were you?

•••
the hoax is that photos are not taken in the USA

•••
hoax or not, photos are still breath-taking

•••
Back