Dynadot

.tv The HD factor or the xxxHD.TV thread

NameSilo
Watch
My fellow .tv aficionados I don't think many fully realize the magnitude of the letters HD and the future they hold in terms of TV across ALL platforms. As you know all TV's will be required to broadcast an HD signal in the next few years. All the networks proudly display the initials HD after their company monikers as a sign of innovation and quality (ESPNHD, ABCHD, HBOHD you get the point)

The future of the internet and all forms of broadcast video are tied to HD. Which brings me to my point. While many of us can only speculate as to which forms of the .TV brand become more familiar and popular with the public then others (i.e., xxxxtv.tv tvxxxx.tv xxxxxchannel.tv, channelxxxxx.tv and so on.) There is room for all to have some success, obviously branding and marketing will play a big part in this. BUT DON'T LOSE SIGHT OF THE FACT that the traditional networks are ALREADY doing the work for us by conditioning viewers to identify HD as the best in quality entertainment. THIS WILL NOT CHANGE ACROSS BROADCAST PLATFORMS. I think many domainers have been overlooking the fact that the most ideal and logical fit for creditability and branding for both broadcasters and the public is xxxxxhd.tv or HDxxxxx.TV Look at any generic term related to television put HD at the end, next to .TV and what do you have? THE FUTURE OF ALL TELEVISION neatly built into your tld. You may say, idiot we already know this why are you telling me this. I'm telling you this because astoundingly a ton of good xxxxxhd.tv and hdxxxx.tv names are left! I personally feel it is stronger to have the xxxxxhd.tv because it seamlessly ties into HDTV which will be the 4 most common initials in relation to broadcast video in the next decade and beyond. At the end of 2005 I picked up webhd.tv for reg fee and flipped it a few months later on Sedo for $750. Which brings me to another point. The .tv company or what is now demand media have not placed ANY premium on the HD factor. That is to say while having HD next to .tv in my opinions gives you a very marketable tld, you don't have to pay a ton extra for it. Put it this way, Does ESPNHD TV add or subtract the value of ESPN TV programing vs just having ESPN without the HD. The HD makes it forward thinking, innovative and cutting edge, much like the .tv tld itself. What you are saying is my network (or website) is capable of delivering the best quality video to the perspective viewer. Case in point (and reason for this post) Today I reged the following names.

TELEVISIONHD.TV
BUSINESSHD.TV
HDBUSINESS.TV
COMEDYHD.TV
BIZHD.TV
HDBIZ.TV
HDFOOD.TV
FOODHD.TV
STYLEHD.TV
HDSTYLE.TV

Now hypothetically say some big company comes along and pays a huge premium for either comedy.tv or business.tv (so they are obviously going to develop and put huge money behind it) They launch a site and are extremely successful. Now say I get money behind me and launch businessHD.TV when business.TV is hugely successful.

In some respects in the future the public will either
A. Identify you as a credible high quality site
B. OR some may assume the two are related like ESPN and ESPNHD based on the way broadcast networks have conditioned them. Another words businessHD.TV is the HD version of business.TV. Now I know this seems far fetched, but it is not completely out of the question either.

In other words you may have a potential suitor on your hands who is already paying a huge some for business.tv and now here comes little old businessHD.TV for a fraction of the cost that in somes ways is representing a higher quality product to the public. Like I said, many of us are speculating to a large degree, but why not specualte based on current trends? Why not hedge your bets and use this thread to post your latest and greatest xxxxxhd.tv and HDxxxx.TV finds.

I think you'll be happy you did! Another way to look at it. businessTV.TV has the redundant TV attached. You are not adding anything new. Yes it is an effective and valuable way to call yourself business TV, but take away one of the "TV" and add "HD" instead and now you are not only not being redundant, but you are adding something to the TLD that adds a valuable statement to the name about the quality of your site. Plus .TV is the only TLD that you can do that and have it make complete sense. While businessHD.com may have some value to it, it isn't spelling out the fact that it is a broadcast channel like businessHD.TV or HDbusiness.TV does. By the way you'll find that many xxxxxhdtv.com are registered but the xxxxxxhd.tv is available. That was the case with businesshd.tv Which one would you rather have?

I'm interested in what people think works better the HDxxxx.TV or xxxxxHD.TV I think they both could work nice and I'm locking both up if I take a keyword where both are available because I only see it adding to the value,especially if you sell to an end user who launches foodHD.TV and doesn't want another network named HDfood.TV competing with it.

I welcome all opinions, both pro and con to this post.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I agree with you and I did register one name ChannelHD.TV a year ago.

•••
I regged awhile back HD IPTV.tv because IPTV just like traditional tv will become High Definition

•••
Interesting thoughts, I appreciate the time you took to post this idea. Hmmm, I am going to have to think about it for a bit!

•••
Just picked up

hdcar.tv
carhd.tv

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back