Dynadot

49CC Scooter: Street Legal in Missouri?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
One of my neighbors has a full-sized 49cc 4 stroke scooter he wants to sell and he insists Missouri doesn't require license, tags or insurance for one of these as it's only 49cc. I find conflicting info online.. anyone else in Missouri that can answer this with any authority?

Maybe I'll give the PD or DMV a call tomorrow to get the scoop.. I see him riding it all the time.. would be great/economical just to go back and forth to work on it. (I only work 2 miles from my apartment).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Gah, forgot to call today.. will post what I find out. Inquiring minds want to know ;)

•••
Ok well if we are talking just one of those stand up scooters then im going to say its not legal for public roads.

BUt here is what the state says about motorized bicycles/scooters

What are the licensing laws for motor scooters (under 50cc)?

Licensing for a scooter or moped depends on whether the vehicle meets the definition of a motorized bicycle. The Missouri statute definition of a motorized bicycle is as follows:

"Any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having an automatic transmission and a motor with a cylinder capacity of not more than fifty (50) cubic centimeters, which produces less than three (3) gross brake horsepower, and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than thirty (30) miles per hour on level ground."

A motorized bicycle does not have to be registered with the Missouri Department of Revenue. However, you must have a valid driver license (though no motorcycle endorsement is required).

Missouri statute does not require a helmet to be worn when operating a motorized bicycle. Please contact your local law enforcement agencies for any county/municipal codes that deal with helmets and motorized bicycles.

Keep in mind that no motorized bicycle may be operated on any public thoroughfare located within this state that has been designated as part of the federal interstate highway system.

http://www.dor.mo.gov/mvdl/drivers/faq/general.htm#q16

dgridley said:
Gah, forgot to call today.. will post what I find out. Inquiring minds want to know ;)

•••
Thanks.. no it's a full-sized scooter similar to the Honda Metropolitan type.. thanks again for the info!

•••
Can you operate a 49cc moped if you have intoxalock on your vehicle?

•••
Back