IT.COM

1and1.com HATER...AAAACCCKK!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
So before I knew anything about anything, I regged a ton of names with 1and1.com. Everytime I reg a name at 1and1.com, I think I'm putting it on my card. Well apparently this is not the case at 1and1.com.

Nearly four months ago, 10/06/06 to be exact, I get an email from 1and1.com that my card had a problem. I looked into it and indeed there was a problem. I could only spend x per day on that particular card. So, I replied for 1and1.com to do exactly that and let me know if there was still a problem. No response. Nothing. I think all is fine and well with the world.

Today I get a collections letter from 1and1.com for every name I have ever bought from 1and1.com! Worse, I go to check out my 1and1.com account...LOCKED! No notice, nothing. I was just in my 1and1.com account last week. No 1and1.com notifications to read, NOTHING!

So I emailed them just now to ask WTF? I hope they respond quicker than four months. I am going to call 1and1.com at this moment too.

Just in case another newbie is drawn in by that 1and1.com low price, don't do it kid! Run! They are evil...evil....imho

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
movingconcierge said:
So before I knew anything about anything, I regged a ton of names with 1and1.com. Everytime I reg a name at 1and1.com, I think I'm putting it on my card. Well apparently this is not the case at 1and1.com.

Nearly four months ago, 10/06/06 to be exact, I get an email from 1and1.com that my card had a problem. I looked into it and indeed there was a problem. I could only spend x per day on that particular card. So, I replied for 1and1.com to do exactly that and let me know if there was still a problem. No response. Nothing. I think all is fine and well with the world.

Today I get a collections letter from 1and1.com for every name I have ever bought from 1and1.com! Worse, I go to check out my 1and1.com account...LOCKED! No notice, nothing. I was just in my 1and1.com account last week. No 1and1.com notifications to read, NOTHING!

So I emailed them just now to ask WTF? I hope they respond quicker than four months. I am going to call 1and1.com at this moment too.

Just in case another newbie is drawn in by that 1and1.com low price, don't do it kid! Run! They are evil...evil....imho

Moaning and whining about it is not going to help your situation one iota. Far better to deal with your problem: you owe them about $1200. Do not think complaing to whomever is going to help b/c they do NOT care.
And even the Better Business Bureau would take their side. It's all in the agreement.
Whether or not they sent the notification thru the post is one of those things that both parties can argue about...but in the end has no bearing on the result.
What? So just b/c you didn't get all the notifications, you somehow don't have to pay?

I agree 1and1 are not the most user friendly registrar and are known to terminate the WHOLE a/c for even non-payment of $5.99...but how were you "screwed"?
Sure they have some funny batch processing billing system...but the fact still remains you have 200 domains unpaid for.

A word of advice: read the small print of the T & C specifically about locking the account for non-payment... and eventual termination 14 days after you get the collections letter if still unpaid. All domains will be lost. Forever.

Solution: Find $1200 quickly.

•••
Dear 1and1 employee: You wrote
Moaning and whining about it is not going to help your situation one iota. Far better to deal with your problem: you owe them about $1200. Do not think complaing to whomever is going to help b/c they do NOT care.
And even the Better Business Bureau would take their side. It's all in the agreement.
Whether or not they sent the notification thru the post is one of those things that both parties can argue about...but in the end has no bearing on the result.
What? So just b/c you didn't get all the notifications, you somehow don't have to pay?

I agree 1and1 are not the most user friendly registrar and are known to terminate the WHOLE a/c for even non-payment of $5.99...but how were you "screwed"?
Sure they have some funny batch processing billing system...but the fact still remains you have 200 domains unpaid for.

A word of advice: read the small print of the T & C specifically about locking the account for non-payment... and eventual termination 14 days after you get the collections letter if still unpaid. All domains will be lost. Forever.

Solution: Find $1200 quickly.

I am not whining and moaning. I am illustrating to the newbies (you?) how this registrar's business practices go.

I do owe them money. I never said I didn't. Read what I wrote carefully before you post, please. I'll recap it for you: The said there was a problem with the CC I used. I replied and agreed. I gave them the solution to use the card and an alternative to recoup payment if that failed. I never received another notice from 1and1.com. I am not the one in my household that reviews the CC bills. I assumed all was well. That is my fault.

How was I screwed, you asked. Well, what if you had an autopay set up for one of your utilities...let's say the electric or gas bill. You go on with your life thinking everything is great until one day you get a bill for the entire year. And you have to pay it just like you pointed out (you sure sound like a defender of 1and1.com; i.e. an employee-ben?) you have to pay it within x days or your power is cut. Did you owe the money? Yes. Should you have gotten more advance warning about the cut off, of course.

Was that clear enough for you?

I have a question for you 1and1...how many times a week do you entire into agreements? When you park your car, when you check a coat, when you enter a ticketed arena, etc. Do you read all of those t & c's? It's retorical, because the answer is most certainly no. It was certainly foolish of me to assume that 1and1.com aka 1 & 1 Internet Services, Inc. operates like 99% of all other registrars on the planet. It has taught me a valuable lesson. I will pay that bill hopefully with some help from (my ebay auctions) and 1and1.com will pay because I will ALWAYS continue to discourage EVERYONE from using 1and1.com aka 1 & 1 Internet Services, Inc.

•••
Get real, I have nothing to do with 1and1.
Newbie? Don't judge by the join date.
If you read my post, it outlines more details about their biz practices than yours.

Does the owner of the credit card know that you were, and gave you permission to use it to rack up $1200?
If not, not very smart, eh?
if so, why can't they fork out $1200 since it was never charged in the frst place.

Then again, seeing the quality of names for auction it will probably be better and save you $1200 if you do nothing and let them terminate the a/c.

Either way, this doesn't pass the smell test.

•••
run just run. I have boatloads of horror stories

•••
Regardless if you believe movingconcierge's story or have sympathy/empathy for him, 1and1 is notorious as being one of the worst, if not the worst, registrar. The moral of the story told by movingconcierge and so many others here at NPs, is to stay clear of 1and1.

•••
aggro is way too aggro...and I don't get his mixed message.

1) Your message is that 1and1.com doesn't care about it's customers.
2) Your message is that 1and1.com customers should not complain.

Here is my clear and final message back to you:
Start your own thread that talks about your own "truth" if that's possible.

You are the only one here on this thread with something to say in favor of 1and1.com aka 1 & 1 Internet Services, Inc. Your opinions do not matter to me. I see from your rhetoric that you are stretching lines of logic just to string a few simple sentences together. Start your own thread that talks about your own business ideals already.

//edit//

...and to address your slam on my names...if yahoo wasn't yahoo or google wasn't google, how would you value those names?

POV: a name is just a name...it needs to be developed to become valuable. Some names kindof suck if your looking to trade solely on the names though, I agree, but all could be developed and made into money makers. gamefly, flipdog, etc...all would be worthless names to me if those were to be sold without the development that exists.

//end edit//

Last edited:
•••
Listen, I was totally paid up. I reg'd some domains and thought I would give 1&1's hosting a whirl to see what they were like. Crap, was the answer to that question!

I thought I'd kick off with the templated website builder. It worked ... for about 2 or 3 edits and then refused to work again so I had a domain and a website with lorem this is crapum all over it. No amount of dealings with 1&1's no-help service got me anywhere. I was advised to ... wait for it ... shut down my firewall. WTF?! Are they serious? Apparently they were. Unless I wanted to 'upgrade' then that was the end of that!

I'd coughed up £10 (about $17) for the domain name (yeah, I know. Way overpriced) and a further £23 (about $50) for hosting I was never able to use. I wasn't asking much from the hosting -- only that I could do a run-through and place a few pages on the net. No SSI necessary. I was simply sussing them out.

I wasn't going to through go money after bad so that was the end of it as far as I was concerned. I would transfer the domains I wanted away from them when I got around to it and let the ones I wasn't bothered about lapse.

My big mistake.

1&1 having the perverted system they have in place when it comes to lapsing domains, wanted it in writing, faxed or by snail-mail. I'd forgotten all about that sneaky line from the terms and conditions.

Move several months down the road and a letter drops through the box from a debt collections agency. Unbeknownst to me, 1&1 had been billing the credit card, which had max'd out since it was a limited exposure one, and was busily renewing the domains I wanted to allow to lapse. No number of emails or phone calls would cancel those renewals. My account was also frozen.

I sent three snail-mail letters, all posted from different post boxes in different towns, to 1&1. I gave the letters time to get there and followed up with a telephone call. As I suspected I would be, I was told, "We don't have your letter"

"Bulls*t!" I replied and proceeded to explain that I had sent three copies from three separate towns all posted on the same day. Funnily enough, they soon 'managed to find' my letter. Meh.

Don't go near 1&1 'cause they suck big time.

(Note: this is the abridged version)

•••
M90, it sounds like you have had a pretty similar experience as others. Can I ask if you were ever able to get any of your money back?

Does anyone know where 1and1 is incorporated? Are they in the USA? If so, a complaint to the state attorney general might be prudent.

•••
fonzie_007 said:
M90, it sounds like you have had a pretty similar experience as others. Can I ask if you were ever able to get any of your money back?
No. I got nothing back. I counted myself lucky to get away from them! Actually, if memory serves they tried to get another £47 ($85) out of me to finalise the contract but I told them where to go.

I'm in the UK and it was the UK offices I dealt with.

•••
•••
I love it. This thread has been resurected from the dead. Hopefully it gives the newbies more info about 1and1 so they don't have to deal with similiar experiences.

•••
Here is someone REALLY PISSED OFF about 1and1.com

Was it Free? addreses the concerns of many people lured into the throat of the devil with promises of free domains...sounds like that free .info lure that 1and1.com recently put out there...

This guy has put up a site to expose the anti-consumer practices of 1and1.com aka 1 & 1 Internet Services...

The list of really pissed off people is growing...and mobilizing...

I didn't realize I was going to go on a 1and1.com hating binge today...

Here is my last 1and1.com hater link of the day: is 1and1.com the worst host in the world?. But, rest assured that I will continually add to this thread all of the links I find to keep anyone / everyone away from the devil that is 1and1.com aka 1 & 1 Internet Services.

Last edited:
•••
It is worth noting that sedo is owned by the same company as 1+1 and that sedo has a link to 1+1 if you want to buy a name through sedo.

•••
Are they owned by the same people are just in partnership together?

•••
Our Address:

Sedo.co.uk
155 Regents Park Road
London
England

[email protected]

Investor Relations:

Our Venture Capitalist and Cooperation Partner:

1&1 Internet Limited
12 St. James's Square
LONDON
SW1Y 4RB

•••
Yup...I had a Sedo rep confirm their relationship...I've threatened to move my names, but I need to find a good home for them. I just finished sampling domainspa.com and I am not impressed...still looking

Back on topic, Fonzie and Yoshiwara, thanks for your regular and on topic support of this thread...I really feel it is important to not let it die...and you seem to feel the same way.

•••
1and1 sucks. I have about 60 domains with them, and I will continue to use them because for me..and what I need..they give me what I want. Their customer service is horrible though, and it took 4 phone calls to find somebody who spoke at least a bit of english.

This story however doesn't seem to show bad light on 1and1 as you say tho. So what their billing process isn't the same as somebody who you've reg with before..it's your responsibility to check that out isn't it? They let you keep your domains for a couple months without paying for them..what other companies would do that? If that's the reasoning to hate them..it doesn't make sense. That and the fact that your CC wouldn't allow them to make purchases with it. Do you really expect a huge company like this to make note of it and charge you a little each month because thats all your CC will allow?

•••
combs,

I appreciate your angle on the argument. However, my beef with 1and1.com is that they never responded to my inquiry about the account way back when, they said they sent me notices which I never recieved and they cannot reproduce in any way (I have it recorded) and then they sent me to collections.

I never said that I did not owe the debt and that I was not willing to pay the debt. What I said was where's the notice?

A parallel problem at 1and1.com is 1and1.com's world-renowned, tremendously awful, make you want to vomit from anger, anti-consumer customer service --AND-- 1and1.com's hurdle jumping, hold-onto-your-names-as-long-as-they-can cancellation policy --AND-- lastly, 1and1.com's deceptive renewal program. I encourage you to follow some of the links I have put on this thread to see that it is not just me getting all huffy about paying a bill.

1and1.com is a real piece of sh*t company.

The proof that is in the pudding, as it were, is you...a self-proclaimed 1and1.com user, now and in the future, telling us that you know they suck, but that they only suck at a level that is just below your tolerance. Well, maybe you have a higher tolerance for sucky 1and1.com service than others that may fall prey to their "free" offers...

That, in a nutshell (lol), is why I will keep this thread going...to keep people that frequent this most popular domain board away from 1and1.com aka 1 & 1 Internet Services, Inc.

•••
movingconcierge said:
combs,

I appreciate your angle on the argument. However, my beef with 1and1.com is that they never responded to my inquiry about the account way back when, they said they sent me notices which I never recieved and they cannot reproduce in any way (I have it recorded) and then they sent me to collections.

I never said that I did not owe the debt and that I was not willing to pay the debt. What I said was where's the notice?

A parallel problem at 1and1.com is 1and1.com's world-renowned, tremendously awful, make you want to vomit from anger, anti-consumer customer service --AND-- 1and1.com's hurdle jumping, hold-onto-your-names-as-long-as-they-can cancellation policy --AND-- lastly, 1and1.com's deceptive renewal program. I encourage you to follow some of the links I have put on this thread to see that it is not just me getting all huffy about paying a bill.

The proof that is in the pudding, as it were, is you...a self-proclaimed 1and1.com user, now and in the future, telling us that you know they suck, but that they only suck at a level that is just below your tolerance. Well, maybe you have a higher tolerance for sucky 1and1.com service than others that may fall prey to their "free" offers...

That, in a nutshell (lol), is why I will keep this thread going...to keep people that frequent this most popular domain board away from 1and1.com aka 1 & 1 Internet Services, Inc.

ive never used them and never will :alien:

•••
I was searching NP to find out about 1and1's so-called "free" .info registration when I found this topic. Thanks for finalizing my decision to skip the "deal" ;)

Last year I lost two domains (one .tv too, so it was around a $40 loss) because of their shitty customer service, and after reading about everyone else's problems with them as well, I too have decided never to use them again.

•••
1/
1and1 may/may not have sent you the letter by post.
Then again, maybe that Mailboxes Etc. PO box #223 you are using did NOT get it, eh?
Your word against theirs. Someone else to blame...LOL

themovingconcierge.com

2/ How did the ebay auctions go?
http://computers.search.ebay.com/_O...QfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ58059QQsassZsmileyinlv

3/ Have they terminated your a/c that is owing $1200 yet?

4/ Actually 1and1 will thank you for warning off domainers - as their biz model is not dependent on domainers' business. Actually the last customers they want are domainers. And customers who fraudulently/unlawfully use other's credit cards and then don't/can't pay after 7 months.
So you're doing them a big favor by warning away other domainers, LOL.
They make money from hosting.
Just like how Godaddy is trying to follow their biz model.

5/ A pity you didn't do all that due diligence/search on 1and1's rep before you dived in head first...

movingconcierge said:
combs,

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Aggro said:
1and1 may/may not have sent you the letter by post.
Then again, maybe that Mailboxes Etc. PO box #223 you are using did NOT get it, eh?
Your word against theirs. Someone else to blame...LOL
I suppose that applies to everybody who has had a truly rubbish experience with 1&1, including those of us who simply wanted to put up a little website?

•••
If so many people have issues with 1and1.com, then why hasnt anyone reported them to ICANN? With all these complaints, couldnt their status as a registrar be revoked?

•••
We should form a NP’s group of “Mystery Buyers” to police these registrars. We can all submit a small donation and the team/group could make purchases, transfers etc... and test out the marketing language to the actual “dea-lio” performances of the different registrars we use or want to investigate for potential use. Basically, a services review group . :imho:
Dare I say a NP's “Domainer's Review Group ” ?

I would participate ( :$: ). I think there are some very intelligent NP members that, collectively, could really rake these companies over some i-nformative coals. Testing registrar's conduct, systems, proceedures and ethics. A "pro-active" rather than "re-active" appraoch. At the very least we could benefit from the insights gained by the group. We may even end up with a listing of "GOOD" NP's suggested registrars. Do we have a list of suggested registrars here at NPs ? And if a member has a legitimate complaint, with a registrar, the team could investigate the facts and figure out the problem or issue. We would all gain from it and just be looking out for our members collectively and systematically. The compilation of the groups work will develop a NP's Registrar Handbook. Some thing reference before it's .... too late.

In fact I would enter my first inquiry with “ Hostrock.net “ . a low cost, multi extension, registrar I would like info on with out exposing myself to the loss of funds or a good domain name. :td:

1) Does any one use them?
2) How is the service?
3) Any transfer or dropped order problems
4) Policy transparency ?
5) NP’s recommendations ?

Just another Noob’s in the dark
namenut

•••
I like it namenut. I have some great documented material that I would be willing to donate, including some rather heated debates among registrars who hold differring opinions regarding many of the policies and loopholes that that some of the less savory registrars are using to stick it to us. If your idea takes flight, PM me and I will send you some good stuff. I also have a few, very decent names avail., but probably a bit too controversial to use for the project. Even though some of the names I have in mind express what many of us feel, I don't think that a name like F-ckyou.com would go over too well, do you? :laugh:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back